Refridgerating clones

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

GeezerBudd

I can't remember who or when they posted about this, but, It was about being able to keep cuttings in the refridgerator for a while.
I've been stoned a few times since-lol
Thanks for any help on this.
:)
Gb

Ya its benn a couple moths haha what did ya need to know.

get a jar or bucket with lid, fill the bottom with water and place the stems in that water close the lid place in fridge, change water every 3days dont let the leaves get soaked in water, they can be stored like this for 3-4 weeks, they would need to be cut again above the old cut to get a freshly cut stem before cloning ;)

I've successfully stored them for a few weeks by just wrapping the cut ends in a "wet" paper towel and storing them in the "crisper" drawer, in tupperware.

I keep them in a ziplock also...I have some that have been in the fridge for 2 months now, and are still very green. I was doing this as sort of an experiment to see if I can get them to root after a long time in there. I will be attempting to root them in the next week or 2. A month is the longest I have kept them in the past. I change the water every few days, and open the baggy to exchange the old air for new, and keep them in a crisper drawer. Yes they need to be cut at an angle again before planting. I'll let ya'll know if they root...like I said a month is the longest I have gone up until this little experiment. I have others already rooted, so if this experiment fails, I'm not out anything, but a little time.

LF if you have several, try taking only one out of the fridge every week to see how long you can push it, would be iteresting :) i have the feeling that they will go longer

Thats a good idea Zem. The reason they stayed in the fridge this long is lack of space right now, but I'm getting ready to harvest and move clones to flowering here in a week or 10 days...so then I will begin to play with these cuttings. They are already 9 weeks in the fridge right now I believe, and still look as good as the day I put them in there nice crisp green leaves. I have probably 30 cuttings in there, so I will probably do a few at a time, but I have no problem dragging it out for a couple of months to find a cut-off time. If they even take root...we'll see, like I said I have never kept them for longer than a month before. Thanks for the idea!

Reactions: zem
That would be interesting to hear. I would like to know how that goes too. It is kind of odd how such a fragile thing like a clipping, can last so long in a fridge, but can also not take root right away after being cut.

It is amazing to me.

I'll keep ya'll posted. If we ever get this new camera working on the computer, lol...I'll photo document the whole thing. That is if they will root, 2 months is a long time in the fridge, but like I said in an earlier post they are just as green and crisp as the day I put them in there....so we'll see.

Thanks legalize, Everybody else-thanks & reps to ya.
Now that I think about it, I believe you were the one who mentioned it in a post.
Do you put water in the ziplock?
Let me know how it goes.
Thanks again.
:aok:
Gb

HIya LF & everyone...

GOOD topic~!:) I'm up to 18 strains and have 6-8 more coming from a buddy pretty soon so I'll be watching this thread to see how your experiments go. As of now I'm doing lots of clone juggling, keeping my junior sized moms really small in 5 x 5 square pots and picking a half dozen to veg in 2 gal pots to flower. I've been taking new clones as I put them into flower and if they are getting too big for my veg closet and I don't have plans to flower them anytime soon I take a couple clones and destroy the mom after the clones root. It's getting kinda silly and I want to do a flower run on a bunch of these strains that I haven't even tried yet before I make any rash decisions about who has to go. I'd like to end up with 12 or so, well maybe 15, uh no more than 17, 20 tops... :p top notch strains to run for a while eventually but until then I feel like a plate spinning act... :rolleyes: I might give refridgeration a go after I hook up with a pal who has a grow about 2 hours away out in the sticks. Once I have a 'safety set' of all my genetics where I can get them back if needed I'll be much more at ease with only keeping cuts in the fridge around for some strains. Boy is it gonna make HIS day...;)

:holysheep:

LOL...DOS...you sure 20 will be enough? Like I said I have succesfully kept them in for a month, and still got roots, but not much longer than that. I read about this method in an old "heads" mag yrs ago, and it coms in handy when your veg cabinet is full, but you need to keep some cuts until you can make a little room.

These that I have in the fridge came from trimming the lower branches and sucker shoots off of my c99/ak plants right before flipping to 12/12. My veg cab was already full of clones of these, all labeled so that after harvest I could decide which to use for a mother. I trimmed the last of them in veg, and just hated to throw them away, so I stuck them in the fridge, thinking I would build something to do more clones in....lol...time escaped me...they may not even root...but they look good still...we'll see and I'll let ya'll know.

Geezer yeah man...I leave the water pooled up in the corner of the bag and all the stems sit in the corner in the water. Makes me have to kind of lean the bag in the crisper drawer...but come on...we all know about stoner ingenuity...lol...make it work!

Yuppers...

Maybe "lucky" 21 at the MOST....:p Nah.... My plan really is to cull out the non elite of them all... Flower them all out about a half dozen at a time in my bloom closet and may only the dankest survive...;) Til I can flower them all out and see what's what I might put a cloning/early veg level in the upper shelf of my veg closet with a 2' 4 bulb T5 for shorter moms. HOPEFULLY by fall I'll be down to a dozen or so and I'll be ready to rock those for quite some time. I'm SO sick of seed grows... NO more beans for me for quite a while...:)

Yah it's hard to toss perfectly good clones at trim time... Ya gotta do it if you dont have a use...:hubba: It's cool that you found a way to tinker with them. I've been playing around with a few methods of cloning strains with woodier stems trying to find something more predictable for the odd clone that is slow using a bubbler. I've got some in the bubbler using water like I usually do and also in rooter plugs with rooting hormone gel to see which roots faster and more predictable.

Do you use a clone bubbler? I've found that they can really nurse some sad cuttings back to health pretty quik so you might be able to let some go longer in the fridge and get them to come back around in a bubbler... hmmm....

Peace~!:cool:

I don't I made one sorry attempt at one, and didin't get either the right airstones, or a strong enough pump, but it didn't bubble enough to keep the cuts wet, so I stuck them in rapid rooters...I did what I'm used to and know I can keep them alive this way...lol...the bubbler just seemed to new, and I had a bunch of clones that were going to die if I didn't do something with them. I may try again though I dunno?

I know I learned one thing from this grow...I'm never growing 6 of the same thing all at once with hybrids again...I could have got away with 2 or 3 of these and 2 or 3 others. Not enough variety. I at least needed to put a couple indica's in there for sure.

Oh yah LF...

How I love variety and also a perpetual bloom situation. I have an AK48, a Sour Diesel Moonshine, a Doublegumm and a Cali Hash all a couple weeks apart. As soon as the DG is done in about 2 weeks I'll pop a couple of new clones in there in 2 gal pots for a couple weeks til another plant or two finishes and then I'll transplant them into larger containers to finish out. I just got ahold of 7 new strains that I haven't ran before but it will take them a while to veg and be ready to flower. Meanwhile it's been fun doing a 2nd grow on some of my other strains til they are ready. Now that I'm done with seeds for a while I can veg plants bigger and control my #'s so much easier.

Rock ON!:cool:

Well, Legalize and DOS,
I got a plant in the tent that is ready to flower and not looking too bad. Only prob was it was getting close to the hps and gettin a little crispy on a few leaves.
Yes, I know I should have moved the light up more-but I got lazy.

I took me two cuttings and put them in a tall tupperware container with about an inch of filtered water in the bottom-did that today so I see if they hang on. I put the lid on, but did'nt seal all the way. I stripped a few lower leaves but left most intact.

I also got latest pics of the lady in my tent, gotta wait till sonny gets home-dang must be nice to run around-lmao.

Gb

I've never tried it in tupperware. but I do seal the ziplock strip at the top of my bags. When I open them daily I force out the old air and blow in c02 from my lungs and zip it shut again. I will start trying to get some roots on wednesday, after I move clones to the flower shack.

legalize_freedom said:
I've never tried it in tupperware. but I do seal the ziplock strip at the top of my bags. When I open them daily I force out the old air and blow in c02 from my lungs and zip it shut again. I will start trying to get some roots on wednesday, after I move clones to the flower shack.

I'm going to use the ziplock way too. The tupperware container got knocked around and drowned one.
I'll try the natural CO2.
:aok:
Gb

Latest posts

Back