rockwool cube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocker420

Reaction score
ok so heres the deal. while i was out of town i went to a hydro store cus i dont have one around here, the guy sold me some 6x6x6 inch rockwool cubes.Now befor i bought them i asked because the size of this thing is small, i asked how big a plant could grow in here full size. and he said 3-4 feet. so my question is, is this a big enough cube for a big plant or would it be better for clones?

I have grown 2-3 feet in 4" cubes (in a cut off 2-liter bottle with a bubbler). Don't think you could grow in those alone as the roots will come out the sides and bottom before too long.

It would be fine if you were growing with a method like letting the roots either spread out onto rootmatt or airstones or something, as the cube doesnt stop roots like booradley says, my cali got to 6 feet in a 6x6x6 cubes

I went to discounthydro and found a cocoTek grow mat. And all i have to do is just lay it down and place the cubes on top? Where will the roots go once they hit that?

They'll grow across the mat. Not much else they can do.

~Burn ONe~
Dewayne

I use 1"x1" cubes and I have grown plants close to three ft tall in them. The size of the cube really has nothing to do with how large you can grow the plant. I have always used cubes to get seeds and clones going. After they are established, they are dropped into 3" net pots in my DWC systems. The cubes are surrounded with hydroton then. This will hold enough moisture to let the roots dangle down into the reservoir without drying out and dying.

So, it sounds like you need to pick up some hydroton or lava rock... whatever to surround your cubes with once the roots grow out of them.

DLtoker said:
So, it sounds like you need to pick up some hydroton or lava rock... whatever to surround your cubes with once the roots grow out of them.

Im not really following you. Are you saying i cant just put the cubes down flat on top of the rootmat?

yep, the roots will leave the cube and spread over the mat, careful when letting light touch the mat as algi can form.. but yeah, thats pretty much it, or you can put the cube in a pot full of airstones or lava rock like DL said and let them grow around that, the cubes just good for water retention and a good base of operations ;)

ahh, yes i figured that about the light hitting the roots. I was kinda thinking about putting some B&W poly over the cubes to keep light out and reflect it up.

Sounds good man :) under growth needs light too

Latest posts

Back