Rosebud grows outside '13

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your ladies have a very nice green look! I love your garden and your yard looks so inviting I just wanna sit there for a couple hrs and smoke with you enjoyin the fresh breeze and glass of the OJ, GREEN MOJO Rosebud.

I would enjoy that too Dr. Thank you so much. It is our little sanctuary in the desert.

The plants are back in the sunshine!!!! Life is good.

You better get those bong hits in before the contractors get there....... or you'll be hiding out with the plants sneaking hits Rose.

nice garden rose....... most wouldn't suspect you got weeds in your garden much less be able to pick em out.

well, it is time for an update:

DSCF1990.JPG DSCF1991.JPG DSCF1993.JPG DSCF1992.JPG

Pic 1 is mostly nurse larry.

Pic two is Pink Momma,,,real proud of her

3. That huge thing on the right of the small apricot tree is Jock Horror

4, satori sharing a pot with Canna lily that doesn't like all satori's water so she will come out as soon as she is done blooming.

I hate that my plants are in these tiny 5 gallon pots outside and I am asking them to perform in 100 degree heat. Aren't the troopers. I lie in bed at night and wish i could transplant them all.

Any thoughts on what putting them in a 7 or 10 gallon smart pots would do to the ones just starting to flower? The Nurse larry can stay in the smaller pots.. Should i repot the huge ones. Tell me people?

hi Rosebud I say go with bigger pots. you still have two months for your roots to use the extra room. your pinkn mamma looks very nice, I luv your nurse 2

Bigger the better. That heat level and amount of sun, can supercharge growth rates when they have ample room for root growth. I know its a lot of work to do. But it would be worth it.

looking good rosebud---imo---if you feeling that bad for them---put them straight into the ground---3 x 3 holes spaced enough to grow another 2 feet wide---lined with your super soil---they will be super happy---they will stay cooler in the ground than a pot and have no root restrictions

Thanks guys, Orange I can't put them in the ground this year. After harvest I will turn that soil and add a bunch of amendments that will sit all winter, then i can put them in with some super soil and stuff. The sun flowers are having a yucky thing at their root zone and i don't want to kids to get that.

Thanks NC, i am going to go find some big *** smart pots... WOO HOO!

:holysheep: how big can they go! omg loving it. the relaxing by those i would do alllll day long.. Green mojo for the transplant mission!
e/ ok i lied i'd probably pitch a tent in the yard ;) grab a stump till they finished ;)

I say go ahead and transplant, too. Do you have help? If you have some strong guy or gal to do the heavy work, I think you should be able to transplant them with a minimum of shock.

I haven't used smart pots, but I would worry about them drying out faster than regular pots. You mentioned the humidity on another thread. Check your humidity in the late afternoon when it is really warm. Mine is 55% right now, but will drop to 20 or lower when it gets hot. I think the arid climate would dry out the smart pots faster and make it harder to keep them watered. I have several 15 or 20 gal pots that I plant tomatoes or potatoes in sometimes. They are plastic and have rope handles on each side. Something like that may be better. Also, most places now are having closeouts on summer stuff so if they have any large pots they are probably on sale as they don't want to store them over the off-season.

Pink Momma looks like a Christmas tree. You have every right to be proud of her.

Wish I was there to be one of the helpers. I'm sure transplant will go fine. You have a wonderful green thumb.

Transplant! You'll be watering that satori ten times a day come end of flower. Haha. They look great Rose!

ston-loc said:
Transplant! You'll be watering that satori ten times a day come end of flower. Haha. They look great Rose!

Those Satoris are thirsty girls aren't they? I don't think I've grown any strain that takes up as much water as Satori does.

I just got back with 10 gallon smart pots. I really prefer the smart pots especially when they are in them so long. They look pretty big to me.. The 15 and 20 gallon one scared me. Now i have to figure out how to do this smart.. with out hurting myself...sounds like a wheelbarrow and do it all at the grow site so as not to have to carry, any other ideas?

Last year when I transplanted mine from the 5 gallon buckets to my 33 gallon totes it was pretty tricky beings how big the were. On thing I would suggest would be to tie them up a bit. Kind of like how they do Xmas trees at the tree lot for transport. I had a handful of casualty branches when I did it just because of the awkward size an loose branches flopping around when I attempted to transplant the beasts all by myself. Hope that helps some.

Run something long and flat around the parameter of the bucket to loosen the dirt from the wall of the bucket. Something like bird netting does well to wrap around the plant. Try to make it moist enough so that the dirt does not fall apart when you remove it from the pot.

When I transplant, I use an empty container the same size as I am transplanting from to make a void in the soil in the new container. I pretty much pull the plant from the old container and set into the void made for it in the new container. I don't mess with the roots. I don't loosen the soil around the roots. i find if i do not disturb the roots, they do not have much, if any transplant shock.

Those are my only suggestions.