Strengthin your stems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brookside302

Reaction score
Does anybody know of any good ways to strengthin your plants stem?

I tried supercropping on my last grow, and although it grew back much thicker a few days later the stem was actually weaker than before. Not a fan of it at all. Get a fan in your grow room to circulate the air and blow lightly on the stem, most effective way in my opinion.

I thought the point was to make the stems stronger not thicker. They don't always go hand in hand. I supercropped one of my plants and even after the stem grew back much thicker the part of the stem above the section where I pinched was leaning over quite a bit.

If there was an advantage I could see why people might do it... if your plants are stretching though that means you have problems that need fixing directly such as lowering your lights. Not an "easy fix" like stunting the growth of your plant.

yeah looks terrific! very trichy , don't know why it came back thicker but not stronger, is there any scientific reason for it?

The stems of your plants are like highways for nutrients. So the thicker your stems are, allows easier and more nutrient uptake. Pinching stems goes from a single lane highway, to a 7 lane freeway.

If the stems were meant to be like that then they would grow that way. Normal stems allow nutrient intake just fine, just because it's thicker doesn't mean it's more effective.

This is a perfect case of if "If it isn't broke don't fix it". Cannabis grows PERFECTLY on it's own, all you need to do is set the environment and let the plant do the rest.

IllusionalFate said:
If the stems were meant to be like that then they would grow that way. Normal stems allow nutrient intake just fine, just because it's thicker doesn't mean it's more effective.

This is a perfect case of if "If it isn't broke don't fix it". Cannabis grows PERFECTLY on it's own, all you need to do is set the environment and let the plant do the rest.

Cannabis does grow with little intervention needed depending on the setup, but Does it grow bigger, stronger, and more healthy leaving it alone, i dont think so. A fan and suppercropping are ways to improve the strength of stems, which was the question.

IllusionalFate said:

I've done the same strain for 3 grows in a row, and on my last grow, I topped (like I always do), and supercropped , and I got the most bud from it hands down. You are very narrow minded when it comes to advanced growing techniques aren't u? Sure the plants grow fine all on their own, but I like to max out their growing potential. :p

I have never condoned anyones growing methods. if you want to think that then hey....fine by me. im here to help advance anyones growing technique. but you cant lead a horse to water. by all means grow the way you want!

What you say isnt 100% correct, just to let you know from outside the box.

It will always be- to each his own!

One mans trash is another mans treasure....

smokybear said:
I think supercropping is a very effective way to strengthen your stems. A very great method that has worked for a great many people. A fan also helps. Just my thoughts. Take care and be safe.

I agree. Only I ussaly supercrop on accident.:hubba:

widowmaker said:
Cannabis does grow with little intervention needed depending on the setup, but Does it grow bigger, stronger, and more healthy leaving it alone, i dont think so. A fan and suppercropping are ways to improve the strength of stems, which was the question.
To me, it seems supercropping solves problems that can be fixed in better ways, or problems that shouldn't even be there if the growroom was set up properly. If you have proper air circulation in the room, the stems would be very sturdy and wouldn't need any "strengthening" by force. If you have problems with stretch, then either the lights are too far or the bulbs are not the proper color temperature.

I think the reason why people think supercropping strengthens stems is because they get thicker and feel much tougher to the touch. I measure strength by how well the stems hold up the plant, and in my experience supercropping did the opposite.

Crazy Horse said:
I've done the same strain for 3 grows in a row, and on my last grow, I topped (like I always do), and supercropped , and I got the most bud from it hands down. You are very narrow minded when it comes to advanced growing techniques aren't u? Sure the plants grow fine all on their own, but I like to max out their growing potential. :p
I'm very open to and very much a fan of advanced growing techniques that have a positive effect on the yield, health of the plants, or just overall succuss of the grow.

trillions of atoms[/quote said:
I have never condoned anyones growing methods. if you want to think that then hey....fine by me. im here to help advance anyones growing technique. but you cant lead a horse to water. by all means grow the way you want!

What you say isnt 100% correct, just to let you know from outside the box.

It will always be- to each his own!

One mans trash is another mans treasure....
If supercropping works for you, then by all means use the technique. If somebody asks for advice on strengthening stems though I'm going to let them know what has worked for me and what hasn't. The more information there is, the easier it is to choose the way you want to grow.

so your saying that supercropping weakens the stem.... if it does the opposite of holding up the plant, then supercropping pulls it down or makes it weaker?

thats funny.

IllusionalFate said:
The more information there is, the easier it is to choose the way you want to grow.

I do agree with this.

On a new note...

I think respectable debates can be very positive.;) We all use different techniques in are grows. That expands the information available to new growers, which is a good thing. We all should try and keep an open mind. Just because a technique didnt work for one person, doesnt mean its a bad idea to keep in mind... And in most cases, maybe even an idea to perfect upon.

IMHO:D

trillions of atoms said:
so your saying that supercropping weakens the stem.... if it does the opposite of holding up the plant, then supercropping pulls it down or makes it weaker?

thats funny.
What else can a huge bend directly at the supercropped section suggest? That it made the stem stronger? :rolleyes:

I had a completely vertical, strong stem before supercropping. Even after the stem grew back thicker and tougher than before the plant kept leaning over quite a bit. How is that a sign of stem strengthening?

Latest posts

Back