thinning the bush

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOSTON BAKED BEAN

I have lots to learn!!!!!
Reaction score
ok,, so my plant has a ton of lower green,,, someone advised me that I can cut some of thisaway is that okaquick look at my avatar you will see a early flowering pic but now she is very dence and full can I prune her... also I did not know if I should post this in mt thread?? thanks guys gals in advance..

I am not one who trims lower leaves. I believe the plant needs all the "solar cells" (leaves) it can get to keep a plant healthy. Others on the flip side do a thing called "chicken leg" taking most of the fan leaves off of the lower branches.

Why are you wanting to remove leaves? Just wondering. I dont grow inside, so take what I say with salt, I grow outside mostly.

I was just askinit was recomended to me so the plant dont waste energy,, i wasjust askin to learn what all you peopels do???

tc i think the more info you have means you make better, informed, decisions to be honestt,, I dont want to prune her I dont want to hurt her?

The only time I'll remove a leaf or blade is when it's dead or close to it. Let it stay big and bushy. Later in flowering it will dump the leaves that are no longer needed/wanted.

They will fall on there own, its nature. Only time I remove a fan leaf is if it fell off onto a 4" lower cola. :)

legalize_freedom said:
oh that title put my mind in the gutter...sorry

:doh::huh: we thinkin' alike again LF

IMO?E I don't believe in taking anything other than lower branches for clones off a plant. The plant will use this "old"growth to supply new growth and the "old" growth will yellow and fall off, completing the cycle of life for the plant

lol, you dirty minded people.... the name of the thread also caught my interest :). i say dont trim any leaves off that are getting any light to them. the plant uses these big leaves, lower and upper to produce energy :). if removed too early then you are just taking fuel from the fire when you really want the plant using all the fuel it can right now. it needs these leaves for many reasons, i remove them when they are dyeing or not green any more. good luck with your choice but i recommend leaving them on :). happy growing.

Some selective pruning of fan leaves is ok so long as it doesn't mess up the leaf to bud ratio it needs to keep a well balanced flowering hormone. By doing so, other/lower leaves will have more energy to ensure this hormone is not disrupted. This is especially helpful on stalky plants (not septiva) if they're becoming choked out. I've done experiments with this and found the quantity of buds increase with selective pruning. So long as you don't mutilate "her" she'll be just fine. A snip here n' there won't hurt the plant or screw up hormones. Selective pruning is healthy for the plant. Too many leaves drink water that could be going to less developed buds. Some say yes, some say no... it's up to you. Good luck :)

nor is it need.. unless your lollipopin,growing colas, leaf pruning isnt nessasary.. more harm will be done then good. buds dont need light to grow.. the leafs need light...
LH

That's true LH, buds don't need light to grow...the leafs need light. Taking too many fan leaves off will do more harm than good (less receptors/phytochrome/florigen). In my experience, strategically pruning a few fan leaves (which consume water) I wind up getting more water/light to other leaves, which grow more, which in turn gives me more florigen. I wind up with more leaves(chlorophyll receptors) I had when I started. Interesting topic yes/no? Lol, I should probably buy one of those lights on a track that simulates the moving sun to give me the most possible light. -take care

PurpleZipper said:
That's true LH, buds don't need light to grow...the leafs need light. Taking too many fan leaves off will do more harm than good (less receptors/phytochrome/florigen). In my experience, strategically pruning a few fan leaves (which consume water) I wind up getting more water/light to other leaves, which grow more, which in turn gives me more florigen. I wind up with more leaves(chlorophyll receptors) I had when I started. Interesting topic yes/no? Lol, I should probably buy one of those lights on a track that simulates the moving sun to give me the most possible light. -take care

Hey PurpleZipper!

Yes, an interesting topic indeed.

I have to ask though where you get your info on florigens? My understanding is that is has yet to be identified by the scientific community- that it is assumed to exist, yet no one has been able to isolate it (though many have tried). While it is assumed to form in the leaves, again, no one has found it, though some claim to have identified components of it.

So I'm considering doing some selective pruning as an experiment. Have you done side by side comparisons on the same plant?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I should probably buy one of those lights on a track that simulates the moving sun to give me the most possible light.
... actually pz, getting a light mover will not give you more light, it will just move the light you already have around. you have the most possible light you can have right now...... unless you add more light :). food for thought and an idea of how different people view things :). happy growing.

Latest posts

Back