To "FIM" or not to "FIM" ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yumyumbubblegum

The Beez Kneez
Reaction score
Hey all,

I know this thread has got to have been asked but I can't find it. I am at the point of should I FIM or not - I want to keep control of my headroom and was wondering if topping or fimming is preffered by the plant. I have read the stickys on it so I understand what it does, I was just curious what the consensus is...

YY

it depends on the particular strain also.some plants do better than others using these techniques.i like to grow single cola plants that have higher side sprouts.then i trim off the lower stems and shoots.not enough off of popcorn buds to worry about,unless you have side lighting.

Thanx andy, I like single colas also (they are pretty),,, I was just curious ,, I am guessing that it does not increase the yield?

Lots of people do think it increases yield because most of the growth is up top, where the light is. Your plant creates a wider canopy of tops rather than a cola and then lower buds that all have leaves that block the even lower growth. Does that make sense?:ignore:
I like big buds too, but I personally get more weight from topping/fimming. I top them a few times in veg, then let them build good new growth before they go into 12/12. You still get nice tops, they just aren't 2 feet long.

skunkberry from seed, in soil sharing a 600 with 5 others

2 053.JPG

I like to fim my gals, they seem to love it. Seems to me I get quite a few cola about as big as the one I would get if i didn't fim or top. I don't know any actual weight comparisons, but I myself am very happy withthe results of fimming. I would say if ya haven't tried it yet you shold go for it, see how you like it. It definately shouldn't affect you negatively for tryin it out....

Dr. Manny Bowles said:
Lots of people do think it increases yield because most of the growth is up top, where the light is. Your plant creates a wider canopy of tops rather than a cola and then lower buds that all have leaves that block the even lower growth. Does that make sense?:ignore:
I like big buds too, but I personally get more weight from topping/fimming. I top them a few times in veg, then let them build good new growth before they go into 12/12. You still get nice tops, they just aren't 2 feet long.

IMO this is dead on, you want everything as close to the light as possible. You could have 4 or 6 main leads right up there by the light, all about the same height. I cut most of the lower thin stuff out as well, it seems to pull a little bit of energy from the tops.

Latest posts

Back