welcome to Growers 101

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t see any hermie signs but it is kind of hard to see from the pics. I would recommend pinching off the lower leaves and bud sites though(concentrate on the ones that get very little light). That will help concentrate growth to the buds higher up. Hermies won’t render the crop useless unless you plan on selling it. Seeded weed can still be pretty potent.

Are you growing outdoors totally or indoors??? - If you are outdoors only - leave them outdoors. We are at a point in the year where you should have just a slight bit more bud growth than what you are showing (Slight bit) - Depending on what type of weed you are growing. If you are indoors and just brought it outside to take a picture then I wonder a little about what is going on with the light cycle. I will blow up your pictures in a few and take a good look... For me personally - You may have to be a little farther along in the bud cycle for ME ONLY to tell if it's a boy, girl or both... Yes both is possible (Herm)... Some of the great folks here can tell from where you are at currently... I just do not trust myself this early... If you can get a little closer to the internode OR where the branches join the plant... There is a couple white hars that pop out there - Or there will be balls or both... I probably opened a can of worms I now need help with but hopefully also get you noticed a little more...

Open Mouth - Insert Foot - All The Way To My Knee - - - - That reference was for me...

Again - Be Right Back in a couple.

The back story is that I found two seeds and planted them after germinating in wet paper towel. Bonnie Harvest Select Raised Bed Soil, nothing else. The only nutrients I've given them was about a 1/4 dose of Osmocote Plus maybe three weeks ago - incidentally...it's been around a week and a half since I've watered it, because it seems to be retaining water a bit too jealously. I may have some compacted soil there.

Mostly inside, as the location you see it at in the pics often reaches triple digit temps on an 85 degree day. So, it's been almost exclusively under an led shop light in my garage/laundry area.

I've taken no notes, so dates are approximate, but it was pretty early spring when I planted the sprouts.

Are you growing outdoors totally or indoors??? - If you are outdoors only - leave them outdoors. We are at a point in the year where you should have just a slight bit more bud growth than what you are showing (Slight bit) - Depending on what type of weed you are growing. If you are indoors and just brought it outside to take a picture then I wonder a little about what is going on with the light cycle. I will blow up your pictures in a few and take a good look... For me personally - You may have to be a little farther along in the bud cycle for ME ONLY to tell if it's a boy, girl or both... Yes both is possible (Herm)... Some of the great folks here can tell from where you are at currently... I just do not trust myself this early... If you can get a little closer to the internode OR where the branches join the plant... There is a couple white hars that pop out there - Or there will be balls or both... I probably opened a can of worms I now need help with but hopefully also get you noticed a little more...

Open Mouth - Insert Foot - All The Way To My Knee - - - - That reference was for me...

Again - Be Right Back in a couple.
It had what I thought were female hairs after a while, and I've seen no pollen balls to indicate it's a male.
Yes, it stays inside.

Looks like you have some ‘tacoing’ leaves. Could be heat stress. The plant looks like it is hungry too. This is a good site to look at when you see odd things going on with your plants.

https://www.growweedeasy.com/cannabis-symptoms-pictures
https://www.growweedeasy.com/cannabis-plant-problems/heat-light-stress
I've seen heat stress mentioned many times, but the soil has never been any higher than 80F, and my garage/laundry area is air conditioned, so humidity is lower and the temps remain around the mid-70's area inside.

(I've bookmarked those sites, thank you!)

I am going to go from scratch - Please don't be offended...
Back int he 80's - from the time I left my house to go to work, till the time I got home from work was 12 hours.... I figured as long as I unplugged my lights before I left and plugged them back in when I got home it would be OK.... - Get gas, have a sandwich on the way back, meet friends after work - NO GOOD... Run late for work in the AM and forget to unplug before you ran 70 to 80 into work... See where I am sort of going with this... - AGAIN Multi tasking here.. BRB

I am going to go from scratch - Please don't be offended...
Back int he 80's - from the time I left my house to go to work, till the time I got home from work was 12 hours.... I figured as long as I unplugged my lights before I left and plugged them back in when I got home it would be OK.... - Get gas, have a sandwich on the way back, meet friends after work - NO GOOD... Run late for work in the AM and forget to unplug before you ran 70 to 80 into work... See where I am sort of going with this... - AGAIN Multi tasking here.. BRB
I'm a retired auto mechanic. You'd have to go a good stretch to say anything to offend me. We're known for thick skins and offensive behavior at times. My wife says I'm 'rude, crude, and socially unacceptable'. I'll wear it. :)

A Light timer is important, when you get one, OR you probably got one already... spend the extra 7 to 15 bucks to get one that has a battery back up built into it. At first I never did that, then we had a storm and the power went out for several hours and I never thought to go in and spin my dial where it needed to go...

Illinois has almost as many and almost as bad of storms as Missouri... Almost - Hopefully your not from around Rolla and if you are everyone has been safe these last few years... Been a couple years now but not many...

Take your timer and set it on 12 hours on - 12 hours off.....

Your dark cycle at this point is way more important that the light cycle. Look around here.. He may even help but look around a little.. WeedHopper has built a deal where he uses that fiber/foam/insulation board with the reflective stuff on the back and build a little box around your plant...

Know that.. Your plant will more than likely double and there is an extremely slight chance it could triple in size (width and length especially) before it shows it's first buds. Take that into consideration when your making this box. When you guessed how big you want to make it, make it an extra foot to 16 inches bigger than you think it needs to be... You will thank me much later.

OK - So, This dark cycle... Once that timer kicks your lights off - No light can ever get in there ever for any reason, so help you - until that timer kicks the light back on. None. - - - This will save you a little from the he/she thing that started these posts.

BRB...

I don’t see any hermie signs but it is kind of hard to see from the pics. I would recommend pinching off the lower leaves and bud sites though(concentrate on the ones that get very little light). That will help concentrate growth to the buds higher up. Hermies won’t render the crop useless unless you plan on selling it. Seeded weed can still be pretty potent.
I have a really good digital camera, but no software support for Windows 11, which is what my 'puter is. So, I'm stuck with the phone for pics, and it's just a cheapie 'droid.

Question; what's the average lifespan, seed to harvest, for these? I know there are variables, but is the average 9, 10 months? I'm on about month 7 with this thing.

Once you got your leak proof (Lighting wise) box built that is about twice the size you think you need (If you got the space for something like that) Stick that plant in there at 12 hours on and 12 hours off ... In 2 and a half to 3 weeks total from that very day you do that... Take / post some pictures of you budding sites of the plant - at that point and I can help you a little bit more.

Just to grow for yourself personally - You don't got to sink a bunch of money into this - but there are a couple things you do have to watch

Be prepared to fail (We all know that)
Be humble when you win. (I stole that from someone here)
AND BE CAREFUL WITH THIS HOBBY - Growing - The process itself can become as fun and to some as addicting as you let it.
There are a few people here that don't even smoke the stuff here that still grow it or at least offer advice.

Hopefully I didn't P you off...

Back in a couple hours.

Autoflowering weed has a set death date - sort of and it varies..
I know people who have grown out buds, cut them, put the plants back under 24 hours and in about a month start budding them again. You have to leave a couple buds on the plant in order for that to work.

Poke around here and probably this thread itself from the beginning...

There are no stupid questions here - - - YOU WILL get just a slight bit more respect if it looks like - you have done just a little touch of the research already - on whatever question you about to ask... BUT do not let that stop you from asking

This Place Is Huge Research/Information Wise. I still learn new stuff here daily or at least weekly but I only been growing since 84... Some of these guys and gals go back to the 70's and one or 2 to the late 60's

I run into pict 1 (Herm2) (Bananas) more often. I try to grow with Fem seeds only. I am only allowed 5 plants and it is extremely important that I stay legal because of - Ya, long story.... Even fem seeds will herm on ya for many reasons anywhere from bad breeders to myself making mistakes.
I have my email entered as a contact in my phone. I take pictures to my e-mail like I was taking a picture to text to someone. Then come in my house and open my emails and paste stuff from there. Just a personal thing, I don't have my e-mail or the Passion tied directly into my phone that way my phones not beeping off the wall.
Hopefully others chime in. It is in the plants makeup somewhere to try and breed before it dies. (Survival) Even the best growers here get Bananas / Even Balls (Pict 2) every great now and then - especially at the very very end of the grow cycle.
I will try and help ya a little bit this am - today - I AM NO EXPERT... But between all of us here.... First I have to find my laptop charger and get a couple of our new kids up and off to CH with someone else. Be Back Soon. Hopefully..
You have such high rates due to using femmed seeds.
As that happens more generationally I expect herm rates would rise over time.
All femming does is create genetic bottlenecks which compounds any negative traits rather quickly.

Autoflowering weed has a set death date - sort of and it varies..
I know people who have grown out buds, cut them, put the plants back under 24 hours and in about a month start budding them again. You have to leave a couple buds on the plant in order for that to work.

Poke around here and probably this thread itself from the beginning...

There are no stupid questions here - - - YOU WILL get just a slight bit more respect if it looks like - you have done just a little touch of the research already - on whatever question you about to ask... BUT do not let that stop you from asking

This Place Is Huge Research/Information Wise. I still learn new stuff here daily or at least weekly but I only been growing since 84... Some of these guys and gals go back to the 70's and one or 2 to the late 60's
Yep. Like I said, I'm not looking for a 'silver bullet', and I probably won't get too serious until early next year, to be honest.
I've researched around enough in the last few months to know that I'm in the dark.

I've seen lighting mentioned a lot - will a soft night light have a negative impact? It they're outside, does the moon come in to play with that? Are they that light-sensitive?

During the "Dark Cycle" which I mentioned a couple posts back... YES... Yes, Yes, Yes...
During the dark cycle, you want it pitch black in there with no leaks .. Black like when they turn the lights out on the Meremack Caverns Tour.. hahaha.
I put a smidge of electrical tape over the little red light that goes on when I use my portable heater during winter grows.

And no cheating and taking a little peek in to see whats up during the dark cycle.

You could if you wanted... Set it outside at this point in an extremely secured spot and leave it besides watering and feeding it - and depending on how far South (I don't need to know)... Depending on how far South in Missouri you are, you should end up with a nice little harvest about a week before the first deep frost or first heavy snow...

Let nature take over. You're not getting pounds but. Risky and don't do it if you're not out close to the country. I'm thinking Missouri is legal now but I'm not sure how far. In IL you have to have a Med Card to grow.. Anyone can buy it who is old enough.

Besides that... Your portable... It's in a pot / leave it... If you know an early frost is coming... Bring it inside for that one night...
WHATEVER YOU DO... Try not to screw up it's light/dark cycle if you have to bring it in for an overnight.

Latest posts

Back