What is in your backyard?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not my backyard but wish it was…
E970A776-E986-45B7-A53C-CA3B7F24F609.jpeg

Not my back yard, but the yard at the facility where I'm staying... He wandered through the gate last night and circled the building. He wasn't exactly friendly, but seemed used to humans and unafraid. Truckers often park along the road outside the gate while they're in town. We're thinking they feed him.

I saw what I think was a lynx crossing the road a few days ago on my morning walk. But it was only for a few seconds and no one else has seen it, including the locals. I'm writing it off as a mirage unless I get a pic.

1688279404507.png

1688279429465.png

View of the castle from the Argo restaurant a few miles up the road.

1688279544052.png

Arum italicum, sometimes commonly called Italian arum, is a stemless woodland species native to Europe. Typically grows 12-18" tall. It resembles our native Jack-in-the-Pulpit (Arisaema tryphyllum).

https://www.missouribotanicalgarden...ive Jack-in-the-Pulpit (Arisaema tryphyllum).

Noteworthy Characteristics​

Arum italicum, sometimes commonly called Italian arum, is a stemless woodland species native to Europe. Typically grows 12-18" tall. It resembles our native Jack-in-the-Pulpit (Arisaema tryphyllum). Each flower consists of (1) an erect, finger-like spadix covered with minute, creamy white flowers and (2) a large, sheath-like, light green spathe (bract) which subtends and partially envelops the spadix like a hood. Flowers produced in spring. Arrowhead-shaped, long-petioled, glossy grayish-green leaves with pale green midribs are 8-12" long. After bloom, the leaves and spathe die back leaving only the thick spadix which develops attractive, bright orange-red berries in summer. New leaves emerge in autumn and remain evergreen in warm winter climates but die back in cold winter climates such as St. Louis where they emerge again in early spring. All parts of this plant are toxic.

Four bucks. One was already an 8 point with spots that were going to branch out into more. I think he's the one from last year that had a head that looked like tree roots. Not that big, but lots of horns. It's been a nursery so far this year. It's nice to see the boys are back in town.

Latest posts

Back