1,000 watt MH keeps tripping the breaker

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KGB30

California Medical Card P
Reaction score
I have:

2 Fans sucking in air and bring in air..

Sun Master Hood 1'000 watt MH & with Ballast..

The braker keeps on tripping...

Any advice much appreciated.

obviously you've got too much draw on the circuit... you might have some appliance on that circuit (fridge, freezer, etc.)

try and have it so only yer growing equipment is on that circuit.

or... put it on it's own dedicated circuit like I did

Buy a long extension cord and use it to try other outlets in the vicinity of your grow room. When I was putting together my home theater, I could have both my sub amp and my receiver plugged into the same outlet. So I just used an extension cord to plug in my sub amp into an outlet across the room, and it works fine. And I think it should work for you, you just have to try a few outlets before you find one that's not overburdened.

This happend to me in the past as well, here is what you do, cause you dont want any fires. Have something on in the room that you have your stuff in. Then go out to your breaker and flip each one and label buy the breaker what it shuts off. More then likely all the outlets in your space are on the same outlet but this will make sure. If your breaker is a 20amp then that is safe with a 1000w and a one fan maby but not two. You may have to run an extension cord but be careful and get a heavy duty one that is grounded. If you have the money and available slots on your breaker panel for additional breakers you can run an additional line to your room for an extra outlet just for your lamp I did that. If you dont know what your doing then be careful I just got a self help book on electricity showing how to do it. hope this helps

Is it an digital ballast or Magnetic? I ran two separate 20 amp breakers to my room just to be safe. It is very easy to run your own if you have any mechanical or electrical skills. Just make sure you shut the main breaker off when actually installing the new breakers. I installed my outlets and ran my wires to the box. Then I installed the new breakers in the box. Took my all of 1 hour to do everything correct. I also tested the wires after to be sure that they were within safe parameters.

BuddyLuv said:
Is it an digital ballast or Magnetic? I ran two separate 20 amp breakers to my room just to be safe. It is very easy to run your own if you have any mechanical or electrical skills. Just make sure you shut the main breaker off when actually installing the new breakers. I installed my outlets and ran my wires to the box. Then I installed the new breakers in the box. Took my all of 1 hour to do everything correct. I also tested the wires after to be sure that they were within safe parameters.

I ran a extension orange cord out of the room to power the fans. Can you upgrade the breaker switch in apartment.

Killertea08 said:
This happend to me in the past as well, here is what you do, cause you dont want any fires. Have something on in the room that you have your stuff in. Then go out to your breaker and flip each one and label buy the breaker what it shuts off. More then likely all the outlets in your space are on the same outlet but this will make sure. If your breaker is a 20amp then that is safe with a 1000w and a one fan maby but not two. You may have to run an extension cord but be careful and get a heavy duty one that is grounded. If you have the money and available slots on your breaker panel for additional breakers you can run an additional line to your room for an extra outlet just for your lamp I did that. If you dont know what your doing then be careful I just got a self help book on electricity showing how to do it. hope this helps

They are 15 amp switches.... Can they be upgrade to 20 amp switches for the breaker

KGB30 said:
I ran a extension orange cord out of the room to power the fans. Can you upgrade the breaker switch in apartment.

If you are asking if you can put a 20 amp breaker in place of a 15 amp one, the answer is a loud resounding NO! A 20 amp breaker requires a heavier gauge wire. You should never replace a breaker with a larger one--it creates an incredible fire hazard.

The Hemp Goddess said:
If you are asking if you can put a 20 amp breaker in place of a 15 amp one, the answer is a loud resounding NO! A 20 amp breaker requires a heavier gauge wire. You should never replace a breaker with a larger one--it creates an incredible fire hazard.

I appreciate the safe advice buddy... I thaught you couldn't but I figured I'd ask my buddies.lol

Have a good Saturday

use a 20 amp breaker in place of a 15. most 15 amps are running either 12-2 or 12-3 wire. if it is 12-3, you can. you use a common ground and a seperate wire to 2 seperate outlets. each outlet then becomes it own dedicated circuit a. if its 12-2, you will only have 1 oulet(2 plugs), this is most likely rated at 15 amps and will have to be replaced to prevent fire if you go up to 20 amp.
running new line and outlets are pretty simple.
do you have an attic?
is there a way to "fish" a line from breaker box to your room?
any friends do electrical ?

i was amazed at how easy it was to add 2 x 20 amp dedicated circuits for my room. my friend had it done in about 45 minutes. thats 30 feet of line , new breaker in box, wired 2 outlets and tested it all.

halzey68 said:
use a 20 amp breaker in place of a 15. most 15 amps are running either 12-2 or 12-3 wire. if it is 12-3, you can. you use a common ground and a seperate wire to 2 seperate outlets. each outlet then becomes it own dedicated circuit a. if its 12-2, you will only have 1 oulet(2 plugs), this is most likely rated at 15 amps and will have to be replaced to prevent fire if you go up to 20 amp.
do you have an attic?

i was amazed at how easy it was to add 2 x 20 amp dedicated circuits for my room. my friend had it done in about 45 minutes. thats 30 feet of line , new breaker in box, wired 2 outlets and tested it all.

KGB30 lives in an apartment. I would advise against him trying to do anything to the electrical system.

halzey68 said:
do you have an attic?

I live in apartment!!! I asked a buddie if he knew anyone who does electrical... So do I have to change the out lets to GFI's?

If you dont know anything about electricity then you will not know the gauge wire by the look of it. Dont upgrade your breaker its not safe to risk! I did it and after my cycle was over i checked the wire and it was really HOT not good I put the 15amp back in. Since then Ive added a circuit to my panel. Find out what breakers your panel uses take one into lowes or home depot and ask for the right gauge wire to use then get a self help book.

Killertea08 said:
If you dont know anything about electricity then you will not know the gauge wire by the look of it. Dont upgrade your breaker its not safe to risk! I did it and after my cycle was over i checked the wire and it was really HOT not good I put the 15amp back in. Since then Ive added a circuit to my panel. Find out what breakers your panel uses take one into lowes or home depot and ask for the right gauge wire to use then get a self help book.

So far hooking the two fans to extension cord the breaker has not tripped.lol... Ya I know I need a pros help... I don't mess with electrical unless I am showed the proper way... I have a home boy asking around...

no you need to find out what gauge wire your apt has, then see if it is compatible with a 20 amp breaker. You may need to change the socket you will be using to a 20 amp socket.

BuddyLuv said:
no you need to find out what gauge wire your apt has, then see if it is compatible with a 20 amp breaker. You may need to change the socket you will be using to a 20 amp socket.

How do ya know if the socket is 20 amp rated... My switches are 15 Amp !!!

BuddyLuv said:

Sockets are 15 amps and the wire is 12 gage

run a 240 wire to a timer box. Timer boxes come with 120 and 240 power. With 240 the amps are cut in half therfore you can run 4 1000 watt lamps and numerous fans

Latest posts

Back