1,000 watt MH keeps tripping the breaker

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the wire grounded (meaning 3 or 2 wires going to each socket)?

Also you never answered weather it is an electronic ballast or magnetic. My digital 1000w ballast pulls 6 amps.

How do ya know if it's electric or digital ballast or Magnetic

halzey68 said:
use a 20 amp breaker in place of a 15. most 15 amps are running either 12-2 or 12-3 wire. if it is 12-3, you can. you use a common ground and a seperate wire to 2 seperate outlets. each outlet then becomes it own dedicated circuit a. if its 12-2, you will only have 1 oulet(2 plugs), this is most likely rated at 15 amps and will have to be replaced to prevent fire if you go up to 20 amp.

Just so you know its not code to use the ground wire as your neutral in your 12-3 example.

12-2 can be upgraded to 20 amps by code by simply replacing the breaker.

BuddyLuv said:
Is the wire grounded (meaning 3 or 2 wires going to each socket)?
]

Kitchen out let has six wires connecting..

BuddyLuv said:
Also you never answered weather it is an electronic ballast or magnetic. My digital 1000w ballast pulls 6 amps.

4 wires for the socket by the tent

send me a link to the ballast you bought. Also the kitchen outlet is just a single outlet with two plugs right?

Growdude said:
Just so you know its not code to use the ground wire as your neutral in your 12-3 example.

12-2 can be upgraded to 20 amps by code by simply replacing the breaker.

I live in apartment... Won't management get up set if I replace there breaker....

I don't even know how to replace a breaker.

KGB30 said:
How do ya know if the socket is 20 amp rated... My switches are 15 Amp !!!

?????? I'm confused...What socket? What switches?

The Hemp Goddess said:
?????? I'm confused...What socket? What switches?

Socket where the Ballast plugs into... The breaker switches...thanks buddy

How long is this extension Cord.

I ran into this problem earlier with extension cord. Get a voltage tester and test the voltage at the socket. Plug in the cord and test the voltage again. Im willing to bet there is some kind of voltage drop over the cord. Its not enough just that the breaker does not trip. That doesnt mean it operating at Peak operation.

I say this because you will lose valuable lumens and reduce the effeciency of your light. It may work yes. But when I had an electrician upgrade my breaker to 20 amp and only ran the light off of it The light was or seemed much brighter,,,

just wanted to let you know why voltage drop can make your 1K operate poorly. watch the length of cords when using

KGB30 said:
Socket where the Ballast plugs into... The breaker switches...thanks buddy

You do not need to change the socket. It is inadvisable to change the breakers (or any other part of your electrical system). Can you imagine what it would be like if you caused a fire in your apartment building that cost the lives of others?

It should not be tripping a 15 amp breaker with with 1000w and two fans on it. My 8" centrifugal, light, and aero kit do not even pull 15 amps. I have a feeling it is the ballast you have.

KGB30 said:
I live in apartment... Won't management get up set if I replace there breaker....

Dude you make a valid point. By living in an apartment you may complicate problems for yourself. Cause replacing your breaker box can cause two things, 1. eviction for property damage (not getting permission to change the breaker), hell i lived in a few apartments it was against there policy to paint the walls another color and doing so could get you evicted. 2. unwanted attention by management to the property b/c of the electrician (your apartment ). If i was you i would downgrade the light and go from there. i mean living in an apartment is it really necessary to use the 1000watt? if not downgrade and see if that helps.

BuddyLuv said:
It should not be tripping a 15 amp breaker with with 1000w and two fans on it. My 8" centrifugal, light, and aero kit do not even pull 15 amps. I have a feeling it is the ballast you have.

some 1000 watt systems i looked on line were 9.5 amps. then when you consider the ballast which more than likely has compactors in it to convert the electricity, it can increase beyond that on start up. An ordinary house old fan Carry's about 2.5 -4amps. it definitely possible to trip the breaker.

hxxp://www.poly-tex.com/pages/accessories/addOns/lighting/lighting.html
At 120 Volts
400 watt = 4.0 amps
430 watt = 5.2 amps
600 watt = 5.5 amps
1000 watt = 9.5 amps

KGB30 said:

Yea dont do it. they find that you did and come looking why, not good.

I agree with Lowrider..... Down grade your lamp dude. Its to much greef to go through just for a lamp. You can get decent buds from a 400w lamp. Nothing is this big of a deal really? When you have your own house then you can run all the lights you want.

BuddyLuv said:

Hasn't tripped the break since I put the fans on a extension cord and have it hooked into a socket in the hallway.lol

Thanks buddies for all your help...:rolleyes:

LowRider said:
Dude you make a valid point. By living in an apartment you may complicate problems for yourself. Cause replacing your breaker box can cause two things, 1. eviction for property damage (not getting permission to change the breaker), hell i lived in a few apartments it was against there policy to paint the walls another color and doing so could get you evicted. 2. unwanted attention by management to the property b/c of the electrician (your apartment ). If i was you i would downgrade the light and go from there. i mean living in an apartment is it really necessary to use the 1000watt? if not downgrade and see if that helps.

some 1000 watt systems i looked on line were 9.5 amps. then when you consider the ballast which more than likely has compactors in it to convert the electricity, it can increase beyond that on start up. An ordinary house old fan Carry's about 2.5 -4amps. it definitely possible to trip the breaker.

hxxp://www.poly-tex.com/pages/accessories/addOns/lighting/lighting.html
At 120 Volts
400 watt = 4.0 amps
430 watt = 5.2 amps
600 watt = 5.5 amps
1000 watt = 9.5 amps

My manager know I grow & has a copy of my card... He just asked today how are they growing.... It's my medical right to grow... Can't discriminate against patient rights to meds.lol..... Manager gave the owner my card copy & he is ok to... That was so cool when asked how they are growing...

Killertea08 said:
I agree with Lowrider..... Down grade your lamp dude. Its to much greef to go through just for a lamp. You can get decent buds from a 400w lamp. Nothing is this big of a deal really? When you have your own house then you can run all the lights you want.

I got it working fine now & thanks for your helpful advice. buddy.

If I was there I would help you bud. Can't wait for this **** to be legal so people like us can get together safely and help one another with simple problems like this.

Latest posts

Back