150-250 watt hps help questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sexologist420

Sexologist since age 13
Reaction score
Hey, I am using CFL's for my first grow, but want to use a 150 watt hps or maybe even a 250 watt if I can for my next grow. The problem is I dont have much space and It would have to be used in a Rubbermaid grow space. Now my question is what is the closest an hps can be from the plants without hurting them? How many inches? A 150 or 250 watt hps. And also I have read something about something that keeps the bulb from getting hot? A something ballast? If I do this I wont mind spending some money on it. I dont want some ghetto rigged cooltube in a rubbermaid...cuz it will melt it. Thanks guys and I appresiate your help.

Pce

There is no special kind of ballast that will keep the bulb from getting hot. I think that you are probably thinking of an electronic ballast, which runs cooler (but it has nothing to do with the bulb heat). You can air cool your light. I am able to keep a dual 150W cooltube setup about 5" from the top of the plants. You can do a very nice DIY cooltube set-up. It only has to be "ghetto rigged" if that is the kind of work you do.

i run a 400 in my flower tent and sometimes its actually touching the canopy.i do try to avoid that.but my reflector is vented and will not burn if it does touch the tops.i do keep it about 3-4 inches from the canopy.

andy52 said:
i run a 400 in my flower tent and sometimes its actually touching the canopy.i do try to avoid that.but my reflector is vented and will not burn if it does touch the tops.i do keep it about 3-4 inches from the canopy.

When you say yuour reflector is vented is this what you mean?
http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=49268

Does this help keep the bulb cool? Also what grow tent do you use? I have thought about getting one or building one. I need something about 2 feet deep...3ft wide and 4-5ft high. Those are the limits neway. I really wanna grow with hps cuz cfls just are to big a pain in the arse.

Thanks,
Pce

Im running a 150hps in a 2x2x4.5 grow space about 8 inches away with good ventilation, temps avg 79-81 plants seem to be doing great.( only a 2 plant grow)

UKgirl420 said:
i use a 400 in the space you want to use :48:

How? You use a cooltube? I think imma go with a 250. I dont understand how cooltubes work really...for a 250 could I just put a good fan on the side that would blow cool air right over the bulb?

Thx

Sexologist420 said:
How? You use a cooltube? I think imma go with a 250. I dont understand how cooltubes work really...for a 250 could I just put a good fan on the side that would blow cool air right over the bulb?

Thx

no i dont have a cool tube ,,,i use a fan at the top drawing out the hot heat directley pointed at the bulb and a fan pumping in freshair and a fan blowing just across the top of the ladies and the temps have been fine :peace:

The ventilation in my small closet is much like UKgirl's, although I have a passive intake. I have the 2 150s in a cool tube (that is not being cooled because I didn't need to). There is a computer fan mounted at the top of the box near the light that draws hot air up and out. I have a passive inlet near the bottom of the box on the opposite side as the exhaust. A small oscillating fan moves the air around. My temps are always below 75F.

Thx ladies...that eased my mind. Im gonna either go with a 250 or 400 watt CMH for the box. Im going to take 3 30 gal rubbermaids and build a box. Imma take one and cut the bottom out and rivet it to the top one wo it looks like theres two stacked on eachother and take the last and flip it upside down and put it ontop. Imma put 4 3-4" intakes on the bottom and put another intake as close to the light as possible to blow my cool house air over the bulb(65-70") and have a 6" exaust directly over the bulb. Does having a reflector make it any hotter? Does it make the heat go down more? Ill also have a 6" oscilating fan blowing over the top of the plants.

Pce

imo you will want to pull the heat off the bulb not blow on ,,,and a reflector will help penetrate the light onto your plants a must imo ,,other wise the light will be sread all over ,,,just my thoughts ,,they maybe wrong :p goodluck and be sure to post up pics :48:

Sexologist420 said:
Thx ladies...that eased my mind. Im gonna either go with a 250 or 400 watt CMH for the box. Im going to take 3 30 gal rubbermaids and build a box. Imma take one and cut the bottom out and rivet it to the top one wo it looks like theres two stacked on eachother and take the last and flip it upside down and put it ontop. Imma put 4 3-4" intakes on the bottom and put another intake as close to the light as possible to blow my cool house air over the bulb(65-70") and have a 6" exaust directly over the bulb. Does having a reflector make it any hotter? Does it make the heat go down more? Ill also have a 6" oscilating fan blowing over the top of the plants.

Pce

I don't know how much 30 gal rubbermaids are, but you might want to check out a rubbermaid unit like this:

hxxp://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2116893&cp=2568443.2568444.1260414&view=all&parentPage=family

I think if you can swing it, a unit like this will be easier to work with and easier to make light tight when the time comes. I agree with UKgirl on the ventilation. IMO, you should be able to get away with 1 intake, 1 exhaust w/fan (near the light), and the oscillating fan you plan. Many of the smaller HPS come as a one piece light (with enclosed ballast) with glass and the ability to easily air cool the light. Although having the ballast enclosed with the light (and in the grow area) will increase the temps in the space, you can air cool the light and keep it closer to the tops of the plants.

Goddess Im not sure what your link is to...It just takes me to Ace Hardware main page. UK Girl you mind putting up a pic of your lights and how your venting it? Im a visual person and I understand things much better when I see it. Goddess is this (Many of the smaller HPS come as a one piece light (with enclosed ballast) with glass and the ability to easily air cool the light) Considerd a digital or magnetic ballast? I ask cuz CMH cant run on digital ballasts...they have to be magnetic. Im not trying to have yall hold my hand...I have looked all through HTGsupply.com and other sites at lights/ballasts/ext...but im so confused...I dont know what im looking for. Would yall mind linking me to what I would need to buy for a 250-400 watt magnetic hps system? Ballast/reflector/ and what type of fan I should use? I cant have a super loud fan. I would really appresiate it. Im familiar with HTGSupply and will prolly order from there so if you could show me on there site that would be awsome. Actually...imma post links to what I think I need. Lemme know if I need something else.

http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=49047
http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=47929
With the Euro or Cooltube Reflector...which would be better? Plus I will be getting a 400 watt CMH bulb. Is this a good fan? Its cheap...so I hope so http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=46447 I think thats it....Ballast/bulb/reflector/fan. I know what soil/nutes and all that I need. Thx for all your help ladies.

Take care and stay fly
Pce

Do you want a light that the ballast is separate from the socket/reflector assembly so you can locate it outside the grow space or a 1 piece light?

It dosnt really matter...whichever is cheaper and easier to cool. Basicly whatever you think is best.

Sexologist, this is what i've got. with a 400w hps. i can keep the temp from 68-80, depending how high, or low i put the light. i can put 6 plants in here. it also helps to get a light/hood, separate from the ballast. having the ballast inside your grow will add extra heat in there.
here is a link to the light i use. i did up grade my hood to a coolable one.
coolable meaning, it is a sealed light inside a vented hood , with glass.
http://www.htgsupply.com/growlighttypes.asp?categoryID=1&subcategoryID=155

good luck...bb...

thier at all the major hardware stores in the us. ( home depot, lowes, menards). cost varies on size. i got mine for $75 new, cause it somehow, mysteriously, had a crack in the top.:hubba: . this one runs $150. if you know how the barter system works on 'damaged goods', you may get it for less...bb...

Latest posts

Back