1st timer question, lighting for seedlings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffg330

Reaction score
First I would like to say thanx to all you great posters. I probably would not have attempted my first grow if it wasnt for reading all your great advice on this site.
I am still unclear about precisely how I should be lighting my seedlings though. I have had them on a windowsill getting very little direct sunlight and they are now about 2 inches tall with 4 leaves on the top and 2 newer ones a little lower down. Most posts I've read suggest putting them under flourecent lights at this stage but i do not have any. (very limited budget)
I have a 250 watt HPS light in a 6.5 square foot grow room with 8 foot ceiling (walls painted white). Can I put them under my grow light now? if so, roughly how close to the light and what kind of light cycle? Oh yeah, i'm only growing 3 or 4 plants.
Thanx in advance for any input!

yes you can use your hps ,,but ,,

a 250 hps will put out approx 28500;

your room is 48 sq ft which means u need lumens of 240000 you will need to make your grow room smaller ,,,:peace:

opps i think i gave you wrong figures for your grow room ,,,sorry i shouldnt try and answer :stoned:

just to clarify is your grow room 6,5 ft total ?,,if it is u may get away with a 250 but if you can try and supplent it with some flos or cfls as you ideally need 5000 lumens per sq ft :peace:

Like UKgirl420 said you can use a hps for seedlings. Just lower your light till you feel heat on the back of your hand, then raise the light another 12" or so since these are tender seedlings. I f you notice a lot of stretch lower your light a bit.

Greetings, jeffg, you have come to the right place for growing info. I liked your post because 2 years ago I started with info from this site. UKGirl, you just added 1 to many zero's thats all. I actually hate the seedling stage as your plant is at its most vulnerable. PCduck it right on the head how you use your hps, yet another great answewr to a post. As ukgirl stated if you can reduce the size of your room some you will have better light efficency.:D for your grow

Thanx for the advice all. Now if someone can tell me what they recomend as far as a time cycle in the seedling stage under my HPS I'll be set (for now!). Thanx again

I have my 4 day old seedlings on a 16/8 cycle which seems to be encouraging growth. I have a question as well, has anyone considered using ultra violet black lights, would they work? As it currently stands I have two plants that are growing, they are both about 4" tall and both have 4 leaves on them 2 leaves are just plain oval the other two are serrated blade type, on the 4th day since germination does this sound about right?

I run veg lights 24/7, this includes seedlings and only switch to 12/12 when flowering.

Latest posts

Back