2 weeks after germination

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

platii

Reaction score
:farm:

Yo yo wsup weederz.

I just got my seeds germinated (Bigbud) and luckily i got 100% germination in a cup of plain water over the fridge. I am new to this and it is a first time grower.

Now it is been 2 weeks in the soil but barely breaking the soil surface ( i dont know why it is taking so long. I also noticed that 2 of the seeds has root broken after fighting with shell and the soil surface ( i still planted the rest of the plant in the soil with little small root left, hopefully it will survive).

I am using indoor potting soil "german peat moss" and it says that it has all the nutrient required for indoor/outdoor plants. ( i wish it is a good soil ) but i am still wondering why it takes the seed so long to grow out off the soil. it is there after germination for exactly 11 days.

I endup with 2 plants that lost 90% of the little root that has been grown ( wondering if it is gonna make it )
I got metal halide 400W bulb but with no hood it is about feet and a half above the plants.

I didnt find any good nutrient but i found 5-3-8 bottle i think it is good for vegging. But till now i didnt find anything for flowering though. ( i hope i will find some for flowering in the next 2 monthes, wondering what would i do if didnt find any good for flowering ).

ok weederz i just thought that i would share my thoughts with you about my little things. And waiting for your analysis about what is going on with my plants and if i am heading the right direction or if i need to change anything to make it happen.

I am waiting for your replays but cant wait to :ccc:

Welcome platii !!!

Try HTG Supply

hXXp://www.htgsupply.com/

You may have to pay for shipping but they have EVERYTHING.

Hope to see more posts from you and even maybe a grow journal, that way all of us here can help.

Good luck and Peace to you.......................

erm im not sure :confused:is your soil packed to tight to allow it to come through ?
the soil may have to much nutes in it ,,,have you watered the soil ,,,..it doesnt sound to good ,,for the ones without much of there roots ,,,go to the resources section and read up some more ,,,and get your self prepared better for the next try ,,get some nute free potting soil ,,,and you will not need any nutes for around 3 weeks ,,,,have a look in the organic section for advise on making your own teas ,,
good luck :peace:

Thank you for the replays,,,

yeah i might get dirt from outside and try in that. I am just really concern about the slow of growth. I have seen a 2 weeks that like 3-4 inches long, mine still fighting with the soil surface and one just poped the soil surface showing some little tiny leaves but not expanded yet.

I am not in the states i am having trouble finding the best stuff.

I'd hold my breath a little longer. Although it could be an problem, root disease or such, it might just be taking it's time. Is it a new strain your working with? Ukgirl brings up a good point about soil however, at the seed stage no nutes are needed usually. The soil should be light, and easy to work. peat moss w/ pearlite and/or fermiculite - something like that. I wish you the best. ....................also low humidity.

I do believe i might have a thick soil, i didnt find any perlite to mix with , I did plant the seed near the surface of the soil though, and just sprinkle some soil on the top. is it possible that the root cant develop or penetrate the soil if it is thick. by the way i did dig on one seed to see how is the roots are developing, i found out that the root only grow like 1 cm only in 11 days, it was only little tip after germinating.
i dont have a camera at the moment.

I think the medium PH i am growing in is 2.5-3.5 ( Peat moss ). that could be an issue i guess because the soil is more acidic. I looked in the nearby store for PH up solution but didnt find any. I heared that bicarbonate sodium would help, any one know how much should i add to water.

If you planted in something that has a pH of 2.5-3.5, I wouldn't hold out much hope for their survival. On top of that, since you used pre-nuted soil, they could well have simply been "cooked" before they got a chance to pop their heads up.

After this much time, I would recommend that you start over (with good soil).

Useless grow medium.

You need potting soil.

Your seeds will die if you do not get them out, I doubt the damaged ones will make it.

:peace:

too bad . we dont have much good places to have material s gor gardening. can i make it to the end with just dirt from ouside backyard.Anyone recomend bicarbonate sodium disolved in water would help raise the ph.

Hi Platii like the others have said I wouldn't hold out much hope by the sounds of things, luckily your at the begining so i'd just start again because even after upping the PH they've still had a bad start, if their not out with a few sets of leaves by now I doubt they'll be of much use.

Here's my tip that i've never had a problem with (from seeds) get some bog standard potting soil, normal stuff comes with enough nutes for first 10-14 days (don't forget it's worth checking the PH of ur water just in case). So when ur seeds crack use your thumb and push an inch or so into the soil, lay the lil sweety into it and then brush soil back over it and level off (give it a a lil 'sqush' to make sure it's a bit compacted) stick them under your lights keeping them at a 'normal' distance or as close to top of the soil whilst keeping it cool enough (use the back of your hand as the guide)... Thats how I did my first 4 soil/seed grows and only ever had 1 that never made it through. G'luck.

ok weederz here are 2 pic of my little plant. I found out that the soil i am using which is peat moss soil is 6.5 ph level, the question here is that this plant is 2 weeks old by now after germination and it is so small. Any thoughts would be appreciated. ( sorry for the poor quality pic all I can afford ).

Image013.jpg

Image014.jpg

5mm not an inch or more.

Hello Platii :)

Your soil looks very dry and compacted, it this true?

Have you lifted the seedling out of the soil to have a look to see how its root development is?

:peace:

How many days since they broke through the soil? once their through under a 400w MH they should grow nearly an inch every few days. Saying that some are slow starters, another question, how deep did you plant them? sometimes they use a fair bit of energy pushing their way up through the soil (plus if your soil is too compact thats gonna hinder them) give them some time to catch their breath and see if they crank up the pace.

I don't know if your peat soil comes with nutes (potting soil has the right level of nutes for young plants so ur nute free for first few waters) if it does I would use plain water for now because your plant is too small to use much of the nutes already in the soil (big pots lots of soil).

As hippy said, the pics make that soil look a light brown/dry and tight but maybe it's just the photo's. My guess is they just took a bit longer to break through and if they pic up growth in the next few days then im sure they'll go on to be fine.

On the other hand, my mind springs back to one of my grows where I also had a couple that I thought hadn't made it as they sprouted late (about 12 days) and it looked like yours - bad news was it pretty much stayed that way - grew it for fun and a week or so later I got 2 biddy lil leaves 'n not much more so I pulled it out 'n put it out of it's misery.. Sorry to be the bearer 'n all that - fingers crossed yours take off 'n develop ok.

Just curious did you use anything else with the soil like pearlite?

First thank you for the stopping by.
robbie and everyone else who stepped by here are the precise information about the plants i germinate 2 weeks ago. I know my pictures doesnt tell much but with this info it will be easier to picture the process i am being through.
I started with 3 BigBuds seeds germinate in 3 days all went on tab root. Planted them after pouring water to peat moss which is 6.5 ph as one stated of the soil used here.( yes that process of pouring water made the soil compacted ( didnt find any perlite around so far but i am still looking around the market) not allowing enough room for the little root to get through the dirt and that made 2 of my seedlings to break roots ( i believe ). Only one ( in the pic ) which made it so far and broke through the soil with success but it was fighting for 8 to 9 days under soil. Today i took a major decision to move the sprout off the soil and ( fluffed the soil ) and made little dense and then i replant the sprouts back to the less-compacted soil ( assumption ). That process made me have a peak at the root system for all of them. One was root cut because it wasnt sit in the soil with the right direction. ( i believe it is dead ). The second one was 70% root length cut also ( I planted the rest of the sprout with about 20% of the root left and I have hope that it will make because there is one tiny little fan leave looks green and has some life in it so i will give it a chance to try to build the root system again. The last one which i believe it will make it because the root
system was being established and the plants may take a week or sow before the plant little fan leave straighten out from being curled, i think the plant now is focusing on establishing the root system than growing the plant off the soil, also i think once this process developing the plant will take off off soil ( wait and see ). Finally down below you will find the info and measurements about the third sprout which i believe it will make it to safety

How many days since they broke through the soil?

Germination: 14-16 June.
Time till break soil : 17-25 June.
Time stayed under soil : 9 days.
Time plant above soil : 5 days.
Plant length : 25mm/1.00 inch.
Total process time from seed to present : 2 weeks.
Note: little fan leaves about 14mm/0.55 inch length and 3.5 mm/0.14 inch wide and still curling a bit.
Last news I am germinating another 4 seeds since 8 days ( 2 popped and 2 didnt but i will give them more time to germinate. The one popped put them in less dense pot with same soil but in the right direction (tab root down). And I will see how much time it will stay under the soil comparing the first attempts with paying full attention to the tab root direction which is now 90 degree vertical facing the bottom.

sorry if im too late
but if you still dont know what to do,
trash them. read more before starting seeds.
i dont mean that to sound harsh at all bro, it happens
ive trashed seeds by accident too. Youll need regular
straight up potting soil. mix it evenly with a bit of perlite.
youll need to water and feed with a ph of 6.2-6.5
youll need to keep your soils ph within that range as well.
hope this helps happy growing

thedonofchronic said:
sorry if im too late
but if you still dont know what to do,
trash them. read more before starting seeds.
i dont mean that to sound harsh at all bro, it happens
ive trashed seeds by accident too. Youll need regular
straight up potting soil. mix it evenly with a bit of perlite.
youll need to water and feed with a ph of 6.2-6.5
youll need to keep your soils ph within that range as well.
hope this helps happy growing

I already trashed one. I will give a chance to the second one with 30% root to continue as i see still see one little green leave which means it is still alive ( for experiment ). I am keeping also the last one which doing so far the best and growing but still slow. I dont have perlite around. I think that the best I can do because of lack of materials.
I will let you all updated with the results and how my broken root seed will do if i gave it sometime.

just keep hope for the what you still have going.
just dont put too much effort into them
id research, alot. once you have everything you need
and are ready for the curveballs youll be thrown, it will
be alot easier to start up some seeds.

Latest posts

Back