2 weeks to harvest find seeds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonzo

professional smoker
Reaction score
so this is our first grow and to get some practice we started with seeds found in really dank bags. we have been really careful not to stress the plants to avoid our beautiful ladies sproutin a sac, but with about 2 weeks to go before harvest we found a few random seeds in the buds on two plants. Is there anything that i should do for these plants... pick out seeds while growing perhaps? Will there be a dramatic effect on either the quality or quantity of the pot?
Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Assuming you don't have any males in the bunch, those 2 with seeds are most likely hermies. It would be nice if you could seperate them from the others till they are done. If that is not possible, make sure you turn off any fans in the room, ventilation is ok, try and position them as close to the exhaust as possible. It may be too late in flowering for any pollen dropping, but better safe than sorry. Also, if they are hermies, you are not going to want to save the seeds...and please..do not give the seeds to anyone else. Same with any clones. After harvest, give the room a good drenching with a spray bottle, to kill any possible residual pollen.

Good Luck:)

Elephant Man said:
Also, if they are hermies, you are not going to want to save the seeds...
I thought those were "feminized" seeds when they come from a hermie.

OK so.. hermie seeds = hermie plants. Anybody else that might be confused should check out those threads above. Thanks Elephant Man

Your welcome...potential of 'feminized breeding' is up to debate, but one thing is for sure...it should be only be done by professional breeders.

if you find bannanas on the plant. which are female organs that pollinate them selves. no there not hermies. they look just like minature bannanas not like the balls on male plants. so the seeds could be feminized. this is called (rodellization method). alot of ppl think there hermies

JOHNNY"GREEN"APPLESEED said:
if you find bannanas on the plant. which are female organs that pollinate them selves. no there not hermies. they look just like minature bannanas not like the balls on male plants. so the seeds could be feminized. this is called (rodellization method). alot of ppl think there hermies

I'm familiar with Somas process, but I disagree in total with some of his ideals. Hermies or plants that exhibit both sex's should never be used for breeding. They are the poorest possible choice you could make for further propogation.
"IF"....self pollination is required in order to further propogate a strain(meaning there are NO males of the strain)...it should only be done by a reversing of the sex on a female plant, not by useing random hermie flowers. Even then, the thought or idea, that the results are going to be identical to the P1 mother is doubtful, at best. Only if she is "true breeding" or homozygous for the traits you want, will that hold true.

"Heredity is indelibly fixed by repetition." Luther Burbank

Hick said:
I'm familiar with Somas process, but I disagree in total with some of his ideals. Hermies or plants that exhibit both sex's should never be used for breeding. They are the poorest possible choice you could make for further propogation.
"IF"....self pollination is required in order to further propogate a strain(meaning there are NO males of the strain)...it should only be done by a reversing of the sex on a female plant, not by useing random hermie flowers. Even then, the thought or idea, that the results are going to be identical to the P1 mother is doubtful, at best. Only if she is "true breeding" or homozygous for the traits you want, will that hold true.

"Heredity is indelibly fixed by repetition." Luther Burbank

Sparked great interest here Hick...thanks. I have alot of reading to do on this, but if I understand you correctly...

'True breeding' would imply that aside from positive and consistant traits, a female that expresses a 'hermie trait' (Soma's thing) would be a dead end? Therefore requiring starting over (backcrossing)? Or, will this trait eventually show itself in any pheno...and true breeding would be an attempt to minimize this?

I have pretty good access to a few reputable (true) breeders, and have been following their work...and your post above I believe is making sense out of some things that have confused me so far.

Whenever I have trouble understanding something, I typically look to nature for explanation...and the term 'feminised' has always seemed quite unnatural to me. In any case where man has attempted to alter genetics...there seem to have been drawbacks....

yes,but if you have plant with bannanas and keep breeding them. they will become more common in that strain. then it wont be random. also the first year i read about (rodellization) i just so happen to have a plant with bannanas on it. they dont appear when hermies do in the early stage of flower they didnt show till the last 2 to 3 weeks of flower out of budsite. and yes the seeds were all female with no genectic defects,even though only got 15 seeds from the bannana. it was a mystery strain,but it was some good stuff thats why i grew seeds.

Hey folks, could I ask everyone to please use the proper names for the parts of a plant?

Using "Balls" and "Bannanas" doesn't mean anything. "Balls" is just crude, and "Banannas" doesn't mean anything at all.

What in the world do you mean by the term "Banannas"?

Please look up the correct word so I'll know what you mean. I've been growing weed for more than 40 years, and I've never seen anything resembling bannanas on a pot plant.

The newbies here will learn a lot more if we start using the correct terminology when trying to teach someone something.

Think if you were trying to teach engine repair to someone and said "Ok, now look at the sucky thingy on the top of the fire monster and turn the little turnip head one and a half turns like a clock" Holy Moly! The guy would think you were nuts!

Thanks folks!

Stoney.

'True breeding' would imply that aside from positive and consistant traits, a female that expresses a 'hermie trait' (Soma's thing) would be a dead end? Therefore requiring starting over (backcrossing)? Or, will this trait eventually show itself in any pheno...and true breeding would be an attempt to minimize this?

backcrossing to "minimize" the trait would be, I believe, correct. I don't believe a 100% hoozygeous plant would be possible with this scenario.
...BUT...my understanding of dna, genetics, and their affects on the results is pretty limited. I've read and studied, but sooo much still evades me that I sometimes doubt my conclusions.

"IF" ..

Hick said:
backcrossing to "minimize" the trait would be, I believe, correct. I don't believe a 100% hoozygeous plant would be possible with this scenario.
...BUT...my understanding of dna, genetics, and their affects on the results is pretty limited. I've read and studied, but sooo much still evades me that I sometimes doubt my conclusions.

"IF" ..

Pretty much exactly my thoughts:p , very confusing indeed...we'll keep trying though huh?:)

you said u never heard them called bannanas STONEY. well they are. it shows no matter how long u grow u can always learn from others. even thoses with less knowledge. that doesnt mean they dont know things u dont. i learned from a guy who ha been growing for 30years and i teach him stuff i learn. he still teaches me stuff he learns from his veteran friends who have been growing longer than him.

I named this new method "Rodelization," after a friend who helped me realize and make use of this way of creating female seeds. After growing crop after crop of the same plants in the same conditions, I noticed that if I flowered the plants 10-14 days longer than usual, they would develop male "bananas." A male banana is a very slight male flower on a female marijuana plant that is formed because of stress. Usually they do not let out any pollen early enough to make seeds, but they sometimes do. They are a built-in safety factor so that in case of severe conditions, the plant can make sure the species is furthered.
To me, a male banana is quite a beautiful thing. It has the potential of making all female seeds. Many growers out there have male-banana phobia. They see one and have heart palpitations, they want to cut down the entire crop, or at the very least take tweezers and pluck the little yellow emergency devices out. I call them "emergency devices" because they emerge at times of stress

After reading your link to Soma's method, I fully understand what you mean in your reference. You're talking about the male pre-flowers generated *after* a full flowering cycle. The ones generated after a full flowering cycle are the same as the male pre-flowers generated during the initial flowering as well. Soma's article was interesting. I might even try that one day. Thanks for the link!

yes,but if you have plant with bannanas and keep breeding them. they will become more common in that strain. then it wont be random. also the first year i read about (rodellization) i just so happen to have a plant with bannanas on it. they dont appear when hermies do in the early stage of flower they didnt show till the last 2 to 3 weeks of flower out of budsite. and yes the seeds were all female with no genectic defects,even though only got 15 seeds from the bannana. it was a mystery strain,but it was some good stuff thats why i grew seeds.

I will probaly never try 'Somas' method, but I am interested.
You have some very good info and apparently some experience with this, so I'll ask you..
How is the 'late flower banana thing' becoming common a good thing? Are you referring to the process of making seeds or buds? Or both?

Less random? You mean her trait is that she consistently goes into 'emergency mode' closer to the end of flowering?

I assume you are talking about breeding a consistently 'feminised seed making' female?

2 weeks to harvest find seeds

seeds have already formed. Wouldn't this indicate that is NOT a "late emergency mode" STAMEN that pollinated the female.
Assumeing you're working with a 8 week finisher, it would mean the stamen released pollen dureing or around the 6th week.

yes elelphant man hat is exactly what i am talking about. if u want a consistant feminized breeding.

Spread Love And Seeds, Not Hate Across the World "APPLESEED"

Latest posts

Back