2 weeks to harvest find seeds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Elephant Man said:
I will probaly never try 'Somas' method, but I am interested.
You have some very good info and apparently some experience with this, so I'll ask you..
How is the 'late flower banana thing' becoming common a good thing? Are you referring to the process of making seeds or buds? Or both?

Less random? You mean her trait is that she consistently goes into 'emergency mode' closer to the end of flowering?

I assume you are talking about breeding a consistently 'feminised seed making' female?

yes thats what i was trying to say. if u want more consistant feminized breeding. i just think it is cool u can make your own feminized seed. make me feel like a mad scientist.

Spread Love And Seeds, Not Hate Across the World "APPLESEED"

Just wanted to bring this thread back...got some new info that is really 'layman' freindly easy reading...

Combination breeding: The main aim of combination breeding is to transfer one or more characters into a single variety or plant type from many others. For this, an existing plant variety may be used as the recipient parent while many other crop varieties or wild relatives may contribute as donor parents. The most commonly used method to achieve this goal is known as the backcross method. The plant type in which the character or the trait is being transferred is known as the recipient parent and the other as the donor parent. For this, the two plants are mated or crossed and the progeny is screened for the desired trait. The progeny plants possessing the desired trait are then selected and crossed back to the recipient parent. This process is repeated until the desired plant type having all the characteristics of the recipient in addition to the trait being transferred is finally obtained. This exercise is known as backcrossing. Backcrossing involves both hybridization and selection

Elephant Man said:
Sparked great interest here Hick...thanks. I have alot of reading to do on this, but if I understand you correctly...

'True breeding' would imply that aside from positive and consistant traits, a female that expresses a 'hermie trait' (Soma's thing) would be a dead end? Therefore requiring starting over (backcrossing)? Or, will this trait eventually show itself in any pheno...and true breeding would be an attempt to minimize this?

I have pretty good access to a few reputable (true) breeders, and have been following their work...and your post above I believe is making sense out of some things that have confused me so far.

Whenever I have trouble understanding something, I typically look to nature for explanation...and the term 'feminised' has always seemed quite unnatural to me. In any case where man has attempted to alter genetics...there seem to have been drawbacks....

So I messaged my organics mentor, Skunk magazine's own master breeder REv, and this is the very easy to understand answer I got...hope this helps someone down the road.:)

Heh heh, a Truebreeding genotype/strain simply specifies the alleles (2 per gene) are the same, also called "homozygous" so if I were to say that a strain/genotype was truebreeding for giant yields, then that implies that the actual gene(s) responsible for that trait/expression are made up of the same alleles, therefore, if you inbreed them that yield thing will hold true throughout all the females. So on down the line.

Hermies, are a far more evolved thingee... heh heh, hermies will obey genetic laws of recombination when it is convenient for them to do so. You cannot accurately calculate how hermies will or will not express in any generation with any math or theory I am aware of. Hermies are a SURVIVAL response, and since cannabis has not only survived but thrived, I would say it's a good one LoL
wink.gif

Hermies, tend to be cumulative as per what I have seen over the years. Once they reach a point of "build up" they become a whole new beast and seem to completely take over all the reproductive responsis of the plants, normally these are "naturally feminized" hermies hahahaha, and hermie as a rule always and "normally" and I call this level of the hermie expression The Beast expression.

In order to correctly (in my opinion/experience) feminize you first have to become fairly familliar with the varios hermie expressions that will show you what level of hermaphrodism lies within; couple special tricks can always get her to show her hand. A normal, sexually normal, genotype/strain can almost always take being pollinated by a mellow hermie without showing any increased tendancy to hermie in the offspring generation. So good sexually healthy stock is a prime concern here. Then recognizing the different hermie expressions (gotta have first hand experience here because hermies all have their own kinda complex "personalities" heh heh) but it can be done really well just knowing you want a limited hermie respone once the female is forced to hermie. Massive bananna outbreak covering the entire plant within 36 hrs would be BAD LoL
tongue.gif
whereas couple/few banannas on one isolated axial branch would be very good as long as she was made to hermie with some effort.

OK, hope I didn't babble your *** off there bro, but hermies are far more complex than breeding/genetic math when recombining multiple expressions. Hermies are like Black Holes in space... Fantastic power, I seen some stuff that has dropped my jaw over the years, yet not understood, I mean I don't think they are. For sure not by me though hahahaha.

As a finale here I will say that it is possible to "breed" out the hermie tendency with outcrossing to healthy (sexually) genotypes/strains. I know it's true because I have done it myself a few times and seen it done more. It's a hard core thing to do and you need some growing space, but since hermies are "cumulative" in nature, you can reverse those engines as well
wink.gif
even from The Beast hermies, because even The Beast will *ALWAYS* toss out at least a couple fems per 50 say, that are absolutely hermie free. That my friend is because cannabis preferrs to breed normally with males (real men hahaha) and so will always keep that as an open option with a couple fems. Cuz even if one of the hermie fems pollinates a sexually healthy fem, hermies will not be nearly as strong of a tendency in the offspring ...and so on
smile.gif

Hermies are like Black Holes in space... Fantastic power, I seen some stuff that has dropped my jaw over the years, yet not understood, I mean I don't think they are. For sure not by me though hahahaha.

...:D thanks e'man, and thank rev for us too.

Latest posts

Back