24 hours of darkness before flowering? Advice please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay so I've heard of people giving their plants twenty four hours of darkness before flowering(for some reason). My landlord is coming by next week, exactly when I was planning on starting flowering. I need to hide my set up, and it would be a lot easier to do so if my plants could be in twenty four hours of darkness(i dont know exactly when they are coming by). Is this a myth, or will giving my clones twenty four hours of darkness prior to flowering stress and cause seeds/hermies?

I dont think it should hurt as long as its not any longer then 24 hours of darkness

I don't think it will harm your plants too much, if it is necessary, there is always a chance of hermies when you play with the light schedule during the grow.

I have never even heard of a myth of giving them 24 hours or dark BEFORE flowering... I do know of people that give their plants 24 -48 hours of dark at the END of flowering to help mature the plant a bit before harvest

If you plan on starting flowering then anyways why not just set your dark period of to the potential times the could come, I don't think they are going to come at 3 am

i think your right mass producer, i should just set the darkness schedual like that to prevent future things like this from happening again. I think energy is cheaper at those hours too.

I run my lights at night, especially in the summer because it is cooler outside and as you said no one usually comes to my home at these times... I am not sure if it is cheaper per Kwh, but you will probably be using less electronics and others energy drainers so I find it better/easier

Good luck

so i really want to run the lights at night, but i dont think i can make the room light proof during the day and be well ventilated for the lights at the same time. Does anyone have any suggestions of materials that will allow air to pass through but still remain light tight?

tell us a little about your grow... Is it a closet? a "room within a room" a bedroom or open area? That will let us know hoiw to answer your question... Dont forget lighting and ventilation too....

poisonthewell871 said:
Okay so I've heard of people giving their plants twenty four hours of darkness before flowering(for some reason). My landlord is coming by next week, exactly when I was planning on starting flowering. I need to hide my set up, and it would be a lot easier to do so if my plants could be in twenty four hours of darkness(i dont know exactly when they are coming by). Is this a myth, or will giving my clones twenty four hours of darkness prior to flowering stress and cause seeds/hermies?

sounds like a plan to me :farm: It will be fine for a day or 2 or 3 in dark :aok:

im still seriously considering doing the 24 hours of darkness or setting up a night schedual. But as far as my grow, Im sharing a full grow bedroom with my friend with a window(my half is closer to window). Im running one 600 watt hps, a 400 hps, and my friend is running one 400 hps(none aircooled).

poisonthewell871 said:
so i really want to run the lights at night, but i dont think i can make the room light proof during the day and be well ventilated for the lights at the same time. Does anyone have any suggestions of materials that will allow air to pass through but still remain light tight?

yes we run lights at night,, helps with heat and less visitors
if you cant get flower room to have no light leaks you are heading for trouble..use some 90 degree duct pipe..paint inside with flat black paint..Light travels in straight line..a couple 90 degree bends on your intake duct work will stop light...Fans inside area will help..if you must turn lights off be sure to let them finish the light cycle they are in..

Good luck

poisonthewell871 said:
im still seriously considering doing the 24 hours of darkness or setting up a night schedual. But as far as my grow, Im sharing a full grow bedroom with my friend with a window(my half is closer to window). Im running one 600 watt hps, a 400 hps, and my friend is running one 400 hps(none aircooled).

What size is the room? how are you venting? any fresh air comeing in?

room is 12x12. Theres a window which is good for air/circulation, but baddd for light leaks. Any sugguestions?

It should be done.
I had mentioned in a previous thread about when I was scrolling across some strains and found a seed breeders hint on the info of the plant.
He said something along the lines of-
'Keep your grow room dark for the last 3 days in order to bring out the aroma of the buds.'
Also, from what I've heard about using this method is that it increases the THC in the trichromes
and creates more terpenes, for more pungent aromas (right before your lights turn on after 12 off), so 3 days off is almost like an extra boost, to fake the plant into producing more than it would naturally (in theory) but if a seed breeder says it's true, I'll take his word for it.

So you know what I would do.
nice thread...

poisonthewell871 said:
room is 12x12. Theres a window which is good for air/circulation, but baddd for light leaks. Any sugguestions?

this little sketch might help.

These mesurements could be used however you wish, but just set as an example.
I made the box with 3 walls, obviosly you'll need a 4th side.
The 6 inch hole would be your in or out.

View attachment untitled.bmp

I once had to put my plants to bed early because the landlord was coming over. It was during the first or second week of flowering. The next day I resumed their normal schedule and it caused no apparent problems.

You must try not to interupt the start time of the light period once it's established until late into flowering. Some equatorial strains require a longer period of darkness late in bloom to stimulate satisfactory flowering, as there is no "winter" in the tropics. With light leaks it will take longer to start flowers and set buds (which would be popcorny). A seed breeder in Cali told me this. I trust him. Set yer light regimen and let'er grow! :)

Latest posts

Back