2nd grow YET a new grower

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they are under a t5 light but im about to put in flower today. Under flower it will go under a 600 hps light

Good time to prune them then. I think you will be ok...how you feeling about the pruning?

Rosebud said:
Good time to prune them then. I think you will be ok...how you feeling about the pruning?

i never pruned before. i dont know much about it either. the pros and cons or what its actually for. Can u enlighten me a bit so i can at least consider it plz. thank u

There are no con's to pruning up from the bottom. Those spindly branches you have are not going to put out great bud. They will be airy popcorn bud. It takes energy from the plant to keep those alive. Better to get rid of them and concentrate the growth to the top 3/4 of the plant.

Here is a pic of a seedling that needs a leaf taken off. See how the bottom is clean? These are really blurry pic's but I think you can see what i mean.

Take the small stems off at the big stem. Use your fingernails or a small pair of scissors and get as close as you can.
It will be ok.

DSCF1450.JPG

DSCF1451.JPG

Rosebud said:
There are no con's to pruning up from the bottom. Those spindly branches you have are not going to put out great bud. They will be airy popcorn bud. It takes energy from the plant to keep those alive. Better to get rid of them and concentrate the growth to the top 3/4 of the plant.

Here is a pic of a seedling that needs a leaf taken off. See how the bottom is clean? These are really blurry pic's but I think you can see what i mean.

Take the small stems off at the big stem. Use your fingernails or a small pair of scissors and get as close as you can.
It will be ok.

View attachment 194263

View attachment 194264

Thank u very much. I see what your are saying and i understand how this will help my plants. i will prune this first thing tmrw after i get off work. Thanks a lot.

I wouldn't worry too much about losing those few lower leaves. We try to not lose any if we can help it but it almost always happens. You probably damaged them a little when you transplanted them or the shock of transplanting, or a little of both. Pretty much any kind of issues will typically get those lower leaves first as they are the oldest leaves. So long as the leaf fall off doesn't start going up the plant then your fine. They actually looked pretty happy in the last pics :)

hey guys! i dont think its getting any better. i looked at the plants today and i noticed the the roots are coming out of the 3gal pots. could that be the reason my fans leaves are falling off so fast? what do you all suggest i do. the roots that i see are white and still looks very healthy. plz help me.

What exactly did you plant them in--your soil mixture? Have you fed them? If so, what did you feed them? I really never get any transplant shock when I transplant mine. Roots coming out the bottom of the bags should not be a reason to lose fan leaves.

I never considered removing the small undergrowth, of my plants Rosebud. thanks for that info.

If the roots are showing on top of the container, add some more soil.

You are using roots organics?

When you water throughly drench the soil and let it dry out between watering. Stick you finger in the dirt and see if it is moist before you water again.
How old are the plants now?

Correct me if I am wrong, but it was my understanding that with organics we don't want to let the soil get dry--it interrupts the microbial activity?

That is a really good point THG, that I don't have any science to back up one way or another.

If the pot is bone dry the plant has wilted. I don't go that dry. I do go dry enough the the plant looks thirsty and the pot is lighter. I don't want them to be too wet for too long.

We need other organic growers to check in on this, but my plants seem to like what's happening with them.:confused2:

yea im using roots organics. im feeding it EARTH JUICE (sweet& heavy). I added more dirt. the roots aren't showing at the top, its coming through the sides of the plants. I fed it yesterday and it looks better today then it did yesterday. with he roots somewhat coming out the sides of the pot, should i worry? I'll be more careful not to let it dry as much. should it be humid in my grow room in the flowering stage? plants are about 4mths old now

I wouldn't be too concerned about some roots coming through the sides of the bags as they should cull themselves without issue to the main plant(as long as its not big thick roots coming out. I may be wrong about this as I am not real experienced in soil growing, but from what I have seen with hydro plants, if the root system is well developed and has full access to nutrients and water then they don't seem to reach out everywhere so much. its as if they are trying to find these important elements and when it is totally available the roots don't go searching as much, and therefore don't extend past the pots so much. I only have anecdotal evidence of this, but I think that may be the secret to Hammey's 1gal super plants. :)

I couldn't find a whole lot on the Earth Juiced Sweet and Heavy. Do you have all 3 parts? Are you checking your ppms and pH? It appears to be a hydro nute. Sometimes hydro nutes do not work as well with soil. I have a buddy that runs Botanicare and got the hydro formula once by mistake. He said that it just didn't work well with his soil grows.

No it shouldn't be humid in your flowering room. A low humidity will help you not to get powder mildew and or other fungus.

Did you flip them to flower?

Higher humidity isn't a death sentence but it will mean that you either have an issue of poor ventilation or that better ventilation is needed to prevent any nasties from forming. I run typically 55-75% all the time because of my setup. I would prefer to stay closer to the 55% range but where I am won't allow it without being very enclosed which makes fresh air difficult to achieve. I haven't had any problems so far but I try to maintain a high level of air movement and air conditioning to combat issues. Anything above 75% though is a real problem as that begins to depress the plant's normal functions of transpiration.

they are in flower now. i used bonticare on my last grow.

20120907_190607.jpg

20120907_190545.jpg

Latest posts

Back