400 watt Metal Halide with blue spectrum bulb and seedlings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZTEC

Medicinal Grower
Reaction score
Hello everybody. Been using flouro's and new to the HID's. But anyways my question is, I wanted to start a new mother plant so I dropped a bunch of bagseed into my little planter tray and about 20 germinated. But they have been growing for about a month and not getting anywhere fast. I have been using miracle gro to try and give them some nutrients and they are starting to get bigger but wondering if it's because the metal halide is to much for the little guys? Wondering if anyone has any experience with this bulb also? It says it's for aquariums but it gives out a pretty strong blue spectrum 22,000K i believe or should I stick with regular metal halide bulb? Or possibly just get these guys under flouro's. Got it on a 18/6 regiment for daylight, maybe they want 24/7? The room temp is staying about 80 degrees with humidity around 60 - 70%. I am using a organic garden soil mix with peat moss and perlite and the PH is staying around 7.3 been trying to get it down to a 6.5 with sulfur but no luck as of yet? Using those probe devices for ph/moisture/fertility/light looking into electronic. So many questions but mainly wanted opinions of other people's experience THANKS in advance!

Use some PH down ive not heard of using sulfur for that.

Can you link the bulb your using or provide more info, ive never heard of a MH used for aquariums.

Flos or MH will work
Would do as Growdude recommends, but do not use aquarium PH modifiers..salt based and can screw ya up. Things like apple cider vinager or lemon juice have worked for me in the past.

Growdude...you find a lot of saltwater auquraium buffs use the halides...for like keeping corral and stuff growing in the auquarium. you should see online what these hobbiest do. ;)

It came with the grow light it's a Plus-rite Metal Halide Lamp M59/Mogul but it has the shape of a HPS bulb not the typical MH look and emits a very blue light but almost white at times. Can't find any other info off of box or on the net? Besides Plus-rite makes it, it's 400 watts and it's M59/Mogul connection. Just wondering also since it may be a 20,000 Kelvin light that it may not emit enough of the other parts of the spectrum for plants and lumens maybe lower then normal 400 watt MH?

Latest posts

Back