400w HPS Ballast?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD466US

Reaction score
I am wondering if there is a way to check a ballast to see if it starting to wear out? I have a Sunlight Supply 400w hps ballast that just doesn't seem to be as bright any more.I bought it used a couple of years ago so I don't really know how many hours it had been used before.I replace the bulb every 2 grows but to me it just doesn't seem as bright. Is there a way to check it using a multi-meter?Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Peace,
JD

JD466US said:
I bought it used a couple of years ago so I don't really know how many hours it had been used before.
Peace,
JD
Id say get a new bulb for it and see if that helps the one in it may be beaten up and its gases are expired from age.

JD466US said:
I am wondering if there is a way to check a ballast to see if it starting to wear out? I have a Sunlight Supply 400w hps ballast that just doesn't seem to be as bright any more.I bought it used a couple of years ago so I don't really know how many hours it had been used before.I replace the bulb every 2 grows but to me it just doesn't seem as bright. Is there a way to check it using a multi-meter?Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Peace,
JD

Howdy JD!!!

:hubba: I have been using the same 400w hps ballast for almost 20 yrs. I wondered the same thing. I recently read a post with an article quoted from Urban Gardener[or something like that] magazine. the Author says that the capacitor needs to be changed out after 1.5 years of use. it's a small part, easy to replace and I am planning on picking up a few for future use.

perhaps this is the issue with your ballast??:cool:

the capacitor kickstarts the the bulb with a stored charge .
I don't think it has an effect on the ballast's regulation ofi the current
I agree with the suggestion to replace your bulb that's your weak link

godtea said:
the capacitor kickstarts the the bulb with a stored charge .
I don't think it has an effect on the ballast's regulation ofi the current
I agree with the suggestion to replace your bulb that's your weak link

The ignitor is what starts the lamp and the capacitor is used to regulate lamp current.

Here is everything you ever wanted to know about ballasts.

View attachment hid-troubleshooting-guide.pdf

Latest posts

Back