50 50 mix, ph?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
plants in coco should be feed at a ph of 5.5-5.9 and soil can be anywhere from 6.0-7.0 so I was wondering what I should ph my nutes out to if im using a 50 50 mix. Thanks

I am going to go organic, I plan on making tea from composted cow manure for flower and right now im using a 8-4-4 organic fert for vegetation.

pcduck, yes thats what I figured....to feed at the ph of soil because im pretty much just mixing the coco to make the soil more airy/fluffy.

This past grow I grew in plain coco and chemical nutes and it didnt come out well at all. I did overfertilize. I just harvested and its really low quality.

if you need to ph in an organic grow, your doing it wrong

I always make sure my stuff going in is at 6.6-6.9, and then the microbes take it from there in the soil. :)

Thanks guys, Oh, I just bought a 1.5 cu ft bag of FFOF for $5.99! Cant beat that with a stick I think. What does that stuff go at a hydro store for? 20-25 bucks? I mixed it with the coco and used it to transplant my babies into 5 gal containers. Now they are all set. yay. Im going my first Scrog. Im using chicken wire as my screen with my 400 hps. Oh that reminds me, I want to veg these but do not want my hps running a constant 18 hrs. Sooo I plan on running the hps for 12 hours and use a cfl to make up the difference in the 18 hour cycle. This will be okay yes? They just wont grow as fast running the 400 18hrs, right?

you will get stretch going from HPS to cfl....I would just run the HPS 24hrs a day than flip to 12/12 when they big and ready...only issues I had with a 50/50 mix was the coco realy lacked cal/mag..so be sure when ya go into flowering ya ahve some at the ready...but I dont think ya need nutes for a spell with FFOF...best of my mojo for your grow...

:48:

Hushpuppy said:
I always make sure my stuff going in is at 6.6-6.9, and then the microbes take it from there in the soil. :)

:confused:

What are you feeding your girls HushPuppy?

Are you growing organic?

Lol, I forgot to specify that I run both synthetic nutes in hydro and I have run several plants in organic hydro :)

I use the Advanced Nutrients line for all my stuff. For my organic plants, I have AN's Iguana Juice and Mother Earth Tea. My first runs with organic involved plants set in ammended organic soil base and watered with home-made compost tea followed by AN's "Iguana bloom". This time I have tried something different to see how it works. I have my plants set in coco/pearlite only and I feed/water with a combination of JJ mixed with MET and added in ZHO for extra microbes. According to AN the JJ is compatible with organics and will not harm microbes if used in smaller amounts.

The problem that I have now is deciding which way to run the PH for this hybrid organic/synthetic setup. Right now I am running it at 6.4 but I think I am going to lower it to 5.8 so that the synthetic nutes are more redily available. :)

Hey Constantgardener; if you are running organic soil, I recommend that you get some dolomitic lime and mix into the soil before setting plants. If you've already set your plants, sprinkle a couple tablespoons of the lime on top of the soil and water it in. This should help offset the chemical action of the coco that locks up magnesium, and it will buffer the PH as well :)

You cannot run chemical nutes with organics--you kill the microbes.

I also recommend that you run your lights 24/7. IMO, running them 18/6 encourages stretch and simply lengthens the veggy process. I also think you could be asking for problems running a HID light and then giving them CFLs--unless you plan to match the lumens of the HPS...which I am sure you aren't going to do as CFLs of like lumens will cost twice as much in power to run.

You cannot run chemical nutes with organics--you kill the microbes.

Thats what Ive learned as well...Lets not confuse the OP..:aok:

I amend my Soils with Garden Lime and my PH is spot on.

Latest posts

Back