600 vs 1000

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy Horse

Reaction score
What do u guys prefer. For big ops I can see 1000 watters, but what about smaller grows. Watt/lumen, 600 watts are better, more efficient than 1000 watt lights. But I never see many 600 watters around. If u wanted to use 3000 watts for growing, would u get 3, 1000 watt lights, or 5, 600 watt lights. I'm sure the initial cost of buying the lights, 1000's would be cheaper, but in the long run I would think the 600's would be better. What do u think?

you pretty much hit it on the dot when you mentioned commercial, for a personal grow i hyave seen some nice ones around here with great yields, mostly seen 1 or 2 400 watters and those also do good, but really for the extr cost, i wouldnt see a need as long as its personal. :aok:

Right on. I am looking to go a little bigger in the near future. Somewhere around 5 600 watters for flowering. I don't want to get more plants, just want to veg them longer so I have trees instead of bushes. Thanks CH

1000s are not as efficient at all and sometimes hard to keep cool. Although they do put out a lot more light. You should be able to get 5 600s or 3 1000s + ballasts for the same. There is a great dual digital 600 ballast in stores for 500. It is about 500 for 1 digital 1000 watt ballast. Still gonna be a lot of money.

I would probably go with the 600 watt also. 1k puts out a lot of heat and I dont need to grow plants that big. I can just grow more under 3 600 watters! Just my thoughts. Take care and be safe.

Smokeybear, the reason for bigger plants is to keep my plant numbers down, and keep my yield up. For me and probably most of us, less is more. Thanks for the replies.

I just bought a 1000 watt hps to use with my 600 watt. I haven't set up the 1000 yet because I am building a larger grow room for it. I plan on using the 600 over my 3x3 flood table and the 1000 over the larger plants to penetrate the canopy better. They will both be in the same room so all of the plants will get light overlap in a 6x8 room. Both will be in air cooled hoods to keep heat down.

a 600w is better, magnetic or digital, i would never advocate someone buying a 1k,

I run a 1k.. I like it juuuuust fine... and I can drop into 'any' electrical supply store and buy a bulb for less than $50. But, I agree, 600's are going to spread your light more efficiently.

Hick said:
I run a 1k.. I like it juuuuust fine... and I can drop into 'any' electrical supply store and buy a bulb for less than $50. But, I agree, 600's are going to spread your light more efficiently.

Yea thats the only thing bad about a 600, you can only find them from hydro shops.

600s make better buds too a 600w will kick a 1k's *** all day long, the only time a 1k comes into effect is if you are commercial on a big scale and have 30-40 lights anyway, even still they won't make as good bud as a 600w.

600w's provide the biggest and best buds

the widowmaker said:
600s make better buds too a 600w will kick a 1k's *** all day long, the only time a 1k comes into effect is if you are commercial on a big scale and have 30-40 lights anyway, even still they won't make as good bud as a 600w.

600w's provide the biggest and best buds
.. That is definately your opinion. A 600 is not going to provide sufficient lighting for the same sq ft area, that a 1 k will.
Lighting is only one of the many factors involved in producing "good" bud. Without proper PAR lumens per sq ft., the buds will be negatively effected.
I'm not trying to start an argument or even a discussion, of which is a "better" light. But "obviously" a 1 k emits more lumens/is sufficient lighting, for a larger area than a 600. And with "identical" spectrums, it seems, IMO to be physically impossible to say otherwise, or to say that "because" it is a 600, it will produce "better" buds.
Unless there is a factor that I am totally failing to take into consideration.

it's all about your growing space, eh???

a 400 w light has about 22 inches of penetration, 44 inches circle of coverage.
a 600 w light has about 33 inches of penetration, 66 inches circle of coverage.
a 1000 w light has about 53 inches of penetration, 106 inches circle of coverage.
this tells the tale, eh????

you get better horizontal coverage with smaller bulbs spread out horizontally, but you only get the penetration of the smaller light, unless it is lower in the canopy and you ignore the area above it.

1000 w lights penetrate better, no question at all.

if I grew SnowWhite, in the same space, with a 1000w bulb, I could get a bit better yield, maybe eh??? the smoke would be the same. lots of light is good, but most of any more than the 400w I use would be wasted in my 4x4x8 growing area.

if you maximize the potential of your light, stay within it's coverage and penetration limits, the smoke should be virtually identical, all other things being equal.

just check out SnowWhite, if you think I am wrong. {yes, I could grow a bit wider in my space, taller and deeper too, but that is for a later grow, when yield matters more, eh??}

This all said, the only thing BETTER about a 600w or a 400w or a 1000w light is how you use it. :rolleyes:

Hick said:
.. That is definately your opinion. A 600 is not going to provide sufficient lighting for the same sq ft area, that a 1 k will.
Lighting is only one of the many factors involved in producing "good" bud. Without proper PAR lumens per sq ft., the buds will be negatively effected.
I'm not trying to start an argument or even a discussion, of which is a "better" light. But "obviously" a 1 k emits more lumens/is sufficient lighting, for a larger area than a 600. And with "identical" spectrums, it seems, IMO to be physically impossible to say otherwise, or to say that "because" it is a 600, it will produce "better" buds.
Unless there is a factor that I am totally failing to take into consideration.

Ever take into consideration the law of diminishing light?

if you have a 600w and a 1k, the 1k can never be as close as a 600w.

a 600w will run nicely at 1 foot away where as a 1k won't, because of the extra heat provided by a 1k its quite likely that you not going to want it much closer than 1.5 foot.

a 600w produces 92,000 lumens so at 1 foot away with the law its still keeping its 92k

a 1k produces somewhere in the region of 145,000 lumens, have it at 1.5 foot away and your producing 64,444 lumens.

I can run you through the maths again hick if you like but its pretty straight forward, you will get tighter buds with a 600w than a 1k.

It's not opinion, its physics bro!!

the widowmaker said:
Ever take into consideration the law of diminishing light?

if you have a 600w and a 1k, the 1k can never be as close as a 600w.

a 600w will run nicely at 1 foot away where as a 1k won't, because of the extra heat provided by a 1k its quite likely that you not going to want it much closer than 1.5 foot.

a 600w produces 92,000 lumens so at 1 foot away with the law its still keeping its 92k

a 1k produces somewhere in the region of 145,000 lumens, have it at 1.5 foot away and your producing 64,444 lumens.

I can run you through the maths again hick if you like but its pretty straight forward, you will get tighter buds with a 600w than a 1k.

It's not opinion, its physics bro!!

:hairpull:

hmmmm:rolleyes: sooo, you are saying the 1000w is sooo inefficient that it wastes 40 percent of it's light as added heat, eh??? And the 600 wastes none of it's lumens, eh??? Sorry but that doesnt seem likely. the wattage disappears as phantom quarks, smoke, vapors??? perhaps Scotty beamed it up, eh?:D

What I mean, the 600 can be as close as 12 inches, a 400 as close as 8 inches, and a 1000w as close as 18 inches. Ok sounds about right, eh? So subtracting the too close from the too far{8 inches from 22 inches, 12 inches from 33 inches, and 18inches from 55inches} and you get a number of inches that the light will cover, eh?? :hubba:

Now those figures 14 inches for a 400w, 21 inches for a 600w, and 37 inches for a 1000w tell it just fine, in plain numbers, eh?? your version of physics must be different from mine, eh??:**:

I could easily be wrong here, I got my degrees in the 1970's and things change. Could be global warming, eh?? :confused2:

It is good to question the status quo, but making up new physics is best left to Einsteins, eh? I would like to get some of your anti logic meds dude, they sound wonderful, eh?

Sorry about the flame, eh? I get heated sometime too.

Latest posts

Back