600 vs 1000

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tighter buds never win competitions just my .02 cents

the widowmaker said:
Ever take into consideration the law of diminishing light?

if you have a 600w and a 1k, the 1k can never be as close as a 600w.

a 600w will run nicely at 1 foot away where as a 1k won't, because of the extra heat provided by a 1k its quite likely that you not going to want it much closer than 1.5 foot.

a 600w produces 92,000 lumens so at 1 foot away with the law its still keeping its 92k

a 1k produces somewhere in the region of 145,000 lumens, have it at 1.5 foot away and your producing 64,444 lumens.

I can run you through the maths again hick if you like but its pretty straight forward, you will get tighter buds with a 600w than a 1k.

It's not opinion, its physics bro!!

Ah, but you're forgetting the great equalizer: air flow. Those light distances are directly affected by air flow, as well as ambient temps, and in the case of higher temps, co2 becomes such a large factor that it can pay for itself in one grow. I've read about people having 1kw lights so close to the plants that they reach a point of getting too much light and the upper buds go weird.
Or, as Puffin said, it's the way that you use it. I have a 600 myself.

Thanks for all the good reading material Dudes. I can see how both 1000 watt and the 600 watt light have their places. I like the fact that lumens/watt, the 600's are better, more efficient, and that 600 's u can have better light placement. But i do like the fact about the 1000's light penetration, for say tall sativa's, on getting them little nugs below the top canopy. Happy growing CH.

the widowmaker said:
Ever take into consideration the law of diminishing light?

if you have a 600w and a 1k, the 1k can never be as close as a 600w.

a 600w will run nicely at 1 foot away where as a 1k won't, because of the extra heat provided by a 1k its quite likely that you not going to want it much closer than 1.5 foot.

a 600w produces 92,000 lumens so at 1 foot away with the law its still keeping its 92k

a 1k produces somewhere in the region of 145,000 lumens, have it at 1.5 foot away and your producing 64,444 lumens.

I can run you through the maths again hick if you like but its pretty straight forward, you will get tighter buds with a 600w than a 1k.

It's not opinion, its physics bro!!
.. with proper venting, I can keep a 1k just as close as a 600. ..AND cover a larger footprint efficiently.
I don't run a cool tube, only a vented hood. I only run into heat issues during the hottests summer months, when it can be an issue even with cfls or flourescents.
I'm not dissing the 600... "Okay".. the 600 watt is a better light. You win.. :rolleyes: ;)

I love my 1k light. Some serious light. I have light about a foot from canopy with no problems at all. The plants love it and eat alot of water up though. No its not cause of the light being close that the water evaporates because thats not the case. Hey if i get a 600 i can try all of them out and see whats the best?

flame me all you want puffin, it just serves to highlight your inexperience.

the lumens get sucked up by tractor beam or something, yeah thats a good one,

go check out some science pages and stuff fella, find out that all energy has to turn to something so if the 600w is the most efficent bulb per watt and the 1k isn't that extra energy is going somewhere and thats heat.

it seems though that most of you guys are so set in your way from what someone else told you that its absolutely pointless to educate you,

www.marijuanapassion.com the site for people with closed minds

Listen widowmaker.. I'm not too keen on your dissing of MP. I think it has been reiterated before, If you don't like it here, the door swings both ways.... :)
..But DO NOT put down our site or it's members in such a fashion.
Your last line is completely out of order, inappropriate and meant as nothing more than an instigation.
Puffin made light of your physics, but in a "tongue in cheek" manner, without calling names or nasty conotations. As soon as someone disagrees with you, you become offensive and get rude. If you aren't allowed to 'force' your beliefs on someone, it goes right into flame mode.
"Educating" is good.. trying to force your beliefs on others is quite another. And will never be acomplished with that attitude.

The other thing that one has to remember is that lumens is not the only way to determine the quality of light your garden gets. You also have to take into account the LUX, which is the intensity of the light being output. So the lumens tell you how much light is being output but the LUX tells you have strong that light is.

A 600 will never be able to match the LUX of a 1000 watt hps. thats why 50000 lumens of compact floro's will never be able to beat 50000 lumens of HID lighting, it is because the intensity/ LUX of the HID is much stronger.

I definiately agree that 600's are more efficient as in lumens then a 1000, but just remember that does not mean it is the best, it means that it is the most efficient.

It is more about your space, as too which light will be better for you. One other thing to remember is that it will heat your space more to run 2- 600's then it will to run 1-1000w. Also a 600 watt light can not produce as which as a 1000 watt light can, it is all about controlling your environment.

I go with 600's for a few reasons, now these are personal preferences. Nothing more.

1. I can keep the light closer to the plant

2. Cooler temp (ties to 1)

3. Lower power bill

4. Cheaper bulbs

5. Did I mention the lower temp?

The Effen Gee said:
I go with 600's for a few reasons
4. Cheaper bulbs

From what ive seen this is not true, a 600 watt HPS is a non standard bulb where a 1000 watt HPS can be found at any electrical supply house for much less than the hydro shops sell them for.

Personally....i think a 1000w on a track system would whoop on a 600w. You would have the effeciency of the penetration and be able to cover a larger area, and still maintain it reasonable close to the tops. Throw in a cool tube and you're in business!

I love my 1000w HPS, but no more inside grows for me after that last horror!

Nova

the widowmaker said:
flame me all you want puffin, it just serves to highlight your inexperience.

the lumens get sucked up by tractor beam or something, yeah thats a good one,

go check out some science pages and stuff fella, find out that all energy has to turn to something so if the 600w is the most efficent bulb per watt and the 1k isn't that extra energy is going somewhere and thats heat.

it seems though that most of you guys are so set in your way from what someone else told you that its absolutely pointless to educate you,

www.marijuanapassion.com the site for people with closed minds

Still you persist, eh?? I gotta wonder??? Maybe I'm wrong??

I dont want a pissing contest, I just really want to know.:)

How much more efficient is a 600w than a 1000w?? Is it enuf to make a real difference or a couple theoretical percentage points??? how much better in a grow cycle?? 5 percent, 10 percent, 20 percent???

how much less than a 400w, or is it just that 600w is the best in the hps line, eh?? I would like to know any citations showing me the light, pun intended.:hubba:

AND what about my 400w??? I can get it closer, it uses less electricity, produces less heat and grows nice buds, eh.

All you have said is it isnt as good, eh.

How about telling me why?

just claiming a theoretical efficiency doesnt cut it at all here, efficient at producing what???heat, light, lumens, lux, (ie penetration) buds??? Someone brought up LUX vs lumens and that kinda illustrates my point.

You say the buds are better, eh. I suppose the 600w just has that magical mix of efficiency, penetration, low heat, and subjective superstitious support. (I'm illiterate, what can I say, eh :rolleyes: )

Sorry I'm not as mentally flexible, being older than dirt I am a bit hardheaded. :eek:

I've probably forgotten most if my schooling, my MEE from CASE was from the late 197o's. I kinda wonder if we are speaking a different language nowadays, eh.:rolleyes:

my question remains, eh. What is it in a 600w that makes it better?? or, how does efficiency translate to better buds?? does a bud that costs less taste better??

I will go this far in my confidence of my experience with growing weed for 40 plus years and my education in physics. I will bet ANY amount of $$$ that I can grow more, better smoke with a 1000w bulb, in the appropriate size space with the same strains and growing style, than you could grow with a 600w, by a considerable margin.

How could I not??:rolleyes:

As a scientist, I feel I must remain neutral from this point on until such a time as I have sampled, and re-sampled, all of the buds in question. The process may take many years but I assure you my friends, I am dedicated to this pursuit. As a scientist.

PURELY in the interest of science, I'm sure..
bearfootbob said:
As a scientist, I feel I must remain neutral from this point on until such a time as I have sampled, and re-sampled, all of the buds in question. The process may take many years but I assure you my friends, I am dedicated to this pursuit. As a scientist.

Nova said:
Personally....i think a 1000w on a track system would whoop on a 600w. You would have the effeciency of the penetration and be able to cover a larger area, and still maintain it reasonable close to the tops. Throw in a cool tube and you're in business!

Nova

I have a 1000HPS on a mover in a 3 x 6-1/2 x 7-1/2' closet. I have a large 24 x 22" air cooled reflector. I have computer fans on both the intake and exhaust and this is all the cooling I need until the summer temps get above 85 or so. I can keep the light as close as 6". For what it's worth, I really like my 1000W.

I like the sound of lights on movers. Does it make a big difference? So do they just slowly move from one side of the room to the next, giving the plants even light distribution?

The light movers are a big factor as well. Just another example of how if you just go by a particular set of facts, something else can change the equation. Maybe not everyone is thinking they'd ever get a 1kw light down to 6" and make anything other than toast, but people do, people do.

Thats alot of lumens for the girls at 6 inches. Will have to try. 12 inches off tops with 1k for me. Loving it.

For my setup, a light mover was well worth the expense. Even though my room is small and my reflector is large, the girls at the ends of the room just weren't getting enough light. The fact that you can keep the plants closer without burning them is also a bonus. The fans are plugged into a thermo cube that turns on at 78 degrees and off at 70 degrees. When it gets summer, I run the light at night and use a small swamp cooler to help cool the space--we have really low RH here.

The Hemp Goddess

Latest posts

Back