A few questions before I start my grow...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlamingGooch

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm just about ready to start my first outdoor grow ever! :cool:

Before I jump in to it completely, I just want to clear up some last minute questions I have.

Keep the following things in mind when answering my questions:
-I'm growing at home which is in New Jersey (My apologies if this is too specific and puts me or the forum at risk).
-I will be home from school from roughly May 30th to about September 6th.
-Because this is my first grow I want to try to keep things simple and purchase a minimal amount of ferts/nutes/soil.

My questions:
1. Will I have enough time to grow plants in the time period that I have?
2. Can you buy FoxFarms products online? No stores by my house carry FF products.
3. I'll be germinating the seeds in wet paper towels. Given the climate of NJ, when should I put the germed seeds in the ground?
4. This is a really nooby question but how often should I water the plants and if it rains how long should I wait before watering them again?

Any input at all from the green growing gods on the forum would be much appreciated :D

My questions:
Gonna give it a shot here dude..."but don't ya know I'm loco" :p (sorry cypress playin in the background. ;) )

1. Will I have enough time to grow plants in the time period that I have?
Sept. 6th would be too early...would go for a lowryder or early girl for strain pick
2. Can you buy FoxFarms products online? No stores by my house carry FF products.
I have the same prob. Online is the best way to go...HGTsupply carries it online and timely shipping in my experience
3. I'll be germinating the seeds in wet paper towels. Given the climate of NJ, when should I put the germed seeds in the ground?
I let em veg for a lil while...but you need flos and a grow box. If I were you would germ em close by outdoors in 16 oz. cups then after 2nd or 3rd node then put into ground. Be on there way by then. I myself never had a fresh sprout make it outdoors in the ground. I've always had to get em going.
4. This is a really nooby question but how often should I water the plants and if it rains how long should I wait before watering them again?
This is a tough one....I would make sure a creek or something is near by so your not luggin water. Drought and rain is a growers worry.

Thanks for the input Mutt I really appreciate it :cool:

Any other input is equally appreciated! :D

:ciao:Too bad you couldn't sex the plants before planting them outside ... that's what I do ... I figure it's such a waste to put time and energy into a plant and find out it's a male ... :doh::angrywife::hairpull:
If they were clones then I'd say Sept. 6 would be do-able ... a quick maturing plant would be a must .... if planted from seeds ...

I would put them in the ground as soon as it's warm enough to do so ... if you've already started them 30 May sounds good a bit eariler if you can ... and a bit later for harvest ... if you're able ... a week or two ...:farm:

You are going to LOVE growing outdoors ... last year was my first year ... been growing indoors for years ... it's a awesome experience:hubba: One clone reached 6ft!:clap:
I'm looking forward to this season ... :D:dancing:... just make sure you protected it against critters ... cops and smokers goes without saying ... ;)

Hey, I would skip trying to germinate seeds indoors with the wet paper towels. You can put the seeds directly in the ground even at cooler temps. I planted my seed outdoors in Feb (west coast, usa) and they sprouted in 2 weeks. The cooler winter temps allow the root system to develop and slow down the veggie growth. If your overnight lows are above 20 deg. then the plants should be ok. zendog.

I don't think you have enough time unless you can bring what females you have identified (through cloning or presex) into darkness starting mid to end of june (you need time to dry and cure before 9-06) for a few hours EVERY DAY to give them 12/12 until the daylight decreases enough to where they will stay in flower on their own. I'm not an expert, just my two cents.
What about an auto strain? There is "Sweet 105" from dr greenthumb which is 105 days.
How much bud are you looking to get? I know this is a touch question because it is always the more the better. lol.

Latest posts

Back