A Growing Problem With Marijuana "Electricity Theft"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
On Windmill Ridge Road in Plant City, one 2,400-square-foot home uses $120 a month in electricity. Another uses $220 a month.

Tampa Electric Co. estimates a third home used about $4,200 a month in electricity.

But the electricity there was stolen -- used to power a marijuana grow house with 22 grow lights at 1,000 watts each and two 5-ton air-conditioning units, investigators say.

Such homes are common. There's no way to tell exactly how much power or money is stolen each year from TECO, but the company's chief theft investigator said many he helps uncover involve grow houses.

John Hammerberg supervises TECO's revenue protection department, which helps identify cases of stolen electricity.

Hammerberg said his department's investigators will work about 600 to 700 electricity theft cases this year. About 50 will be grow houses.

The average restitution for a simple case of electricity theft is about $1,000; the average restitution for a grow house is about $20,000.

"It's a huge amount of money that we're losing," Hammerberg said.

Many in law enforcement consider grow houses a burgeoning problem. In Hillsborough and Pinellas counties last year, 102 indoor grow operations were busted and nearly 8,000 plants were seized, according to a report by the state's Office of Agricultural Law Enforcement.

Pasco had 27 busts in which about 2,000 plants were seized.

Hillsborough County deputies discovered more than 20 grow houses and seized more than $5 million in marijuana in recent months.

One night last week, deputies discovered 252 pounds of marijuana -- valued at about $1.1 million -- in three rooms of a grow house, Maj. Albert Frost said.

When arrested, grow house owners often are charged with theft of electricity, a first-degree misdemeanor.

Not all grow houses steal electricity, but doing so can save owners thousands of dollars a year and bypass an obvious flag to law enforcement.

An electric bill at an average-size home might run $150 a month. An average grow house steals about $2,000 to $3,000 a month from TECO. Some bigger operations might steal $10,000 to $15,000 a month, Hammerberg said.

Through April, TECO helped uncover about 240 cases of electricity theft this year -- not including grow houses -- and billed about $340,000 in restitution.

TECO also helped uncover 17 grow houses and billed about $395,000 in restitution in those cases.

"I've seen five 5-ton air-conditioning units at one grow house," Hammerberg said.

Law enforcement generally identifies a possible grow house, then comes to TECO's revenue protection department.

Often, Hammerberg said, his department can go to the scene with officers and try to find an illegal tap.

Stealing power is not difficult, but homes can become fire hazards if wired the wrong way, Hammerberg said.

Some grow house owners hire licensed electricians to help bypass electric meters. Others get help from friends or try to do it themselves, he said.

People use all kinds of tricks to avoid detection, including putting up fences around homes so others can't see several air-conditioning units.

Investigators catch thieves in a variety of ways, often using tips from meter readers and conscientious neighbors. Sometimes a computer program shows something amiss with a meter that measures usage.

Hammerberg said the industry estimates that stolen power is equivalent to about 5 percent to 6 percent of a utility's annual revenue.

Across the state, investigators identified more than 1,000 grow houses in 2008. In 2003, they found 228. Hillsborough County had the second-highest number of plants seized at grow house busts in the state last year.

Pot is still grown outside, but such sites are more easily detected, authorities say. Grow houses are harder to spot and have been found everywhere, from low-income neighborhoods to upscale addresses, detectives said.

"That's one thing that makes it so difficult to find," he said. "From the small shoddy little house to the really nice houses in very nice neighborhoods; we've found them in gated communities, we've found them in normal neighborhoods. Places where people keep the yards nice, where everything looks like a normal house."

hxxp://shuurl.com/D4964

Stealing electricity is foolish... they deserve to get caught. Just my opinion. Thanks for the story FruityBud. Take care and be safe.

If a person is really doing a "personal " grow this would not be a problem. How much electricity does a small personal grow use? People who are useing 10 1000 watt bulbs and dedicated air exchange/conditioners are growing for commercial purposes. Thier greed leads them to theft and their theft leads them to jail. I have no sympathy for them, they chose to grow to deal as opposed to people who keep a regular job and grow for personal consumption.

so many grow house bust's here in fla even with the harsh laws.

hummm, maybe the state will look at the cost of fighting a no-win battle against MJ grows and then look at the Loss of Tax Revenue b/c of MJ prohibition.

wake up fla, take a look at a more sensable approach and learn what L.E.A.P. is all abbout.

stealing electric is dumb but i hope dumb growers keep stealing electric b/c it gives the leo's here a good target for their war on MJ. it keeps the heat off of us responsable growers.

stay safe fellow florida growers.

I agree with yall.
Seems like it would be easier nowadays to get a generator, and hijack fuel trucks than just steel power.

An electric bill at an average-size home might run $150 a month. An average grow house steals about $2,000 to $3,000 a month from TECO. Some bigger operations might steal $10,000 to $15,000 a month, Hammerberg said.

This is the reason PPL frown on growers so much,,at a time when we need to watch our electical use,, you have these Morons making the FEDS and the non MMJ States case for them. This one of the reasons why most states will never legalize MJ,,becuase of idiots like this,, pure GREED.

I agree with everyone too but it's a no brainer when your looking at charges and fines that steep...

Just a thought why not instead of stealing from the system be smart and build the system ...You got the bucks grab the new big tax credits and put up the new high efficiency solar panels and a wind turbine ...Grab the tax credit offset the cost and simply look like an eco trend setter in your neighborhood...Just My 2 cents though.

James

Super Silver Haze said:

hummm, maybe the state will look at the cost of fighting a no-win battle against MJ grows and then look at the Loss of Tax Revenue b/c of MJ prohibition.

wake up fla, take a look at a more sensable approach and learn what L.E.A.P. is all abbout.

stealing electric is dumb but i hope dumb growers keep stealing electric b/c it gives the leo's here a good target for their war on MJ. it keeps the heat off of us responsable growers.

stay safe fellow florida growers.

I have to disagree with your assertion that people who steal electric give leo an alternative target. In fact they make us all look bad. The average person dose'nt differentiate between dealers who grow and people who grow for personal use. Additionaly, the electric company uses these few cases to inflate the cost of electric to all their customers. When someone asks why they don't say " because greedy dealers are stealing power" they paint us all with the same dirty brush. Dealers who run large scale grow ops don't usually get caught because of electrical theft or stellar police work but rather from other dealers or customers who turn them in for leniency from the local D.A.
So these greedy morons being caught gains resposible growers nothing, unfortunately.

WeedHopper said:
This is the reason PPL frown on growers so much,,at a time when we need to watch our electical use,, you have these Morons making the FEDS and the non MMJ States case for them. This one of the reasons why most states will never legalize MJ,,becuase of idiots like this,, pure GREED.

In my oppinion the reason the non-growing public has such a low oppinion of growers is because the only growers they see are these greedy dimwits. The person who acts responsible, pays his electric bill, dose'nt use shoddy wiring, dose'nt sell to litle kids, or evade incometaxes, is never seen, and thats the way we need it, so as to avoid incarseration. If the general public acctualy knew how many people, from all walks of life, are opperating small personal grows, they would be amazed.
It's a wierd catch 22 situation. The public thinks we're all greedy dealers and we don't want the public to know who we are because they will think we're a part of that crowd.:confused:

The average person dose'nt differentiate between dealers who grow and people who grow for personal use.

That is a fact. If all PPL did was small Personal grows,,they would have hell trying to bust those PPL,,unless they have loose lips. I replaced all the bulbs in my house with CFL and ya cant tell the diiference with my personal grow.

Super Silver Haze said:

Uhhhh, have you seen the big bottom GOBs we continually send to rep us at the state house here? And Charlie Crispyfried is just a pretty, petty, tanned dunce who'll never accomplish squat because he inherited his brains from his dad, the scare-crow from the Wizard of Odd.

We got no chance with our state lawmakers--gotta wait out the Feds on this one in our sad, sad state.:cool:

Id rather have it that way than the way it is here PH.

Here, we bring the biggest dog to the fight in the nation (Jim Webb).
But hes chained up, and we left the key at home.

PencilHead said:
Uhhhh, have you seen the big bottom GOBs we continually send to rep us at the state house here? And Charlie Crispyfried is just a pretty, petty, tanned dunce who'll never accomplish squat because he inherited his brains from his dad, the scare-crow from the Wizard of Odd.

We got no chance with our state lawmakers--gotta wait out the Feds on this one in our sad, sad state.:cool:

Fl has a very diverse populace, it's wierd. I spend quite a bit of time in Fl, mostly in Dover (near Tampa) and I can't quite get my mind around the way things opperate. You have communities of Cubans, Hatians, Conservative Confederates, Jewish New Yorkers, Gays and who knows whatelse. But rather than accept that no one group is large enough or powerful enough to take control, you'd rather live in total bedlam. The only way I could live in Fl. would be in Key West, and then only because it's like a whole nother state not affiliated with Fl propper.

Un-huh, and some extremely ecclectic indivuals up in north FL we shouldn't leave out--possibly the most ecclectic in the state.

I could probably do Marathon, Big Pine, even Largo--but Key West forever? It'd be like going to a side show at the state fair and never getting to go home.

PencilHead said:
Un-huh, and some extremely ecclectic indivuals up in north FL we shouldn't leave out--possibly the most ecclectic in the state.

I could probably do Marathon, Big Pine, even Largo--but Key West forever? It'd be like going to a side show at the state fair and never getting to go home.

That's alright with me, I grow my own.....LOL
I have a friend who's lived there for twenty years, every time I go down we sit on his second floor veranda hittin' a hooka and hoisting hurricanes.
Who needs cable just sit out side and chuckle your butt off at the never ending freak parade. ( But they are some of the most genuinely friendly people I've ever met ) No one in Key West is a stranger, just friends you have'nt met yet.

let them keep busting the big growers it take the lime light off of us small growers who wants to bust a small grow when you can go after a big one and get better news coverage and make you look better as a leo

viper1951 said:
let them keep busting the big growers it take the lime light off of us small growers who wants to bust a small grow when you can go after a big one and get better news coverage and make you look better as a leo

They will end up busting small grows too only the news stories read "confiscated 12 plants worth $670,000". The entire govt, federal, state and local sucks..... I say back to the drawing board.

even if the feds deside to leaglize it, it will be up to our own state govments to leaglize it for use in each state. its the same with alc. once we get past the idea of MJ being a "mexican" drug we will never get it in the usa. the USA goverment will not let a "brown" crounty make money off us leagly.

Latest posts

Back