A noob at nutes..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x Big Dave x

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Sorry the 1 thing i've never read up on properly is nutes.. My bad!

I know to introduce them slowly (qtr/half/full - any signs of nute burn throttle back) but in my previous 2 grows I simply used BioBizz Grow and bloom for the 2 stages.. Nothing else..

As I was supposed to use a auto watering system (still using soil) i've already got Canna's Terra Veg and Bloom, im happy to use the terra veg but im hoping to buy a different bloom, a pure organic formula as such. Or do you think the terra bloom will do a good enough job and would be a waste buying something else? I've also got some alga-mix (for veg) and bio-bizz bloom stimulater which is supposed to be used once at the beginning of flowering and again towards the end.

Anyway, the main questions I meant to ask were:

In a single feed is it okay to mix nutes? with the alga-fish-mix for instance, can I add this with a qtr dose of the veg nutes? I think i've read somewhere that nutes should not be mixed together, just wanted confirmation from you experts :)

Also, as i've only ever used the easy to follow 'grow/bloom'.. I need some help with regards to all these other products on the market. What can be used with what :confused: So i've been looking at Dr Hornby's big bud, also 'overdrive'.. Plus all the many other 'increase your bud size' products.. Just wondering how these are used in conjuction with your normal 'bloom' nute. I've also got bat guano which i've been told to water feed at the begining of the bloom cycle.. Just if your not supposed to mix nutes im worried i'll feed them incorrectly and not get the full benefits.

So im in the 2nd wek of vegging, already added a dose of superthrive in the last feed, and the next feed i'll introduce a qtr/half dose of terra veg. I've only got 2 more weeks of vegging so doubt i'll need to add anything but the veg ferts, oh maybe some of the alga-mix which i've read can be used instead of the veg nute - I was thinking of using them alternate feeds or maybe 50/50 on each feed?

So come flowering i'll add some bat guano, change to the bloom nute.. This is where I'd get stuck.. should I stick to the BB bloom stimulater/bat guano/ terra bloom? or can I add other things into the mix? as the BB stimulator was cheap im want to treat myself/plants to something a but better. Would DR H BB replace the stimulator? I know it's a lot to do with the P-N-K of them all but I just go on if their veg or flowering nutes.

I was thinking of getting the DR H BB and Overdrive - but does the BB completley replace the terra-bloom nute or is in addition? I know the overdrive is supposed to be added once towards the end as a 'final push'.

Sorrr for the long post and bad spelling (i've just woke up) if anyone could give give a quick laymans explanation about a good feeding regime and nute combo's it'd be really appreciated.

Thanks everyone - oh and any questions fire away.

p.s not to worry if no one can reply, at worst i'll just ask the bloke in the shop but im sure i'll end up walking out with the most expensive products on the market!

When some of the other folks wake up, i have no doubt this thread will blow up. So i wouldn't worry about not getting any replies. I would like to help but i think some others here can help you way better than i can as i am not familiar with the products you are using. I use FF Tiger Bloom, Big bloom, Botanicare Sweet and CalMag+. And FF Grow Big when i need a veg. nute.
i used Superthrive for quite a while, but then quit using it and haven't really noticed a difference. Anyway, i'm sure someone will sort you out.

good luck!

Thanks greenthoughts, im not in the USA so im not sure how many will be familiar with the products im mentioning. Just curious, you've mentioned about 4 different products there for your flowering, are they all used at different stages or do you mix some together for feeding during certain periods? i.e early/late flowering?

Good Morning Big Dave, First of all im no expert but imo I would not mix primary veg nutes. additives may be alright just mo! bat guano = nitrogen would not use to much of this in flowering but would use now while you are still in veg. Hope this will help a little.

Thanks KD it does, i did mix some of the guano in with the soil when I first potted (2 weeks ago) I might just add another dose and water it in on my next visit.

those 4 are what i use in flower. at different ratio's depending the strain and stage of flower. of every 3 waterings, i feed twice and the third is straight water. i mix my nutes together, adjust ph if needed. then water. and except for the occasional burn or defficiency, that is what works for me.

Thanks GT :) at least I know I won't kill my ladies by mixing my flowering nutes. I'll probably do somthing similar with a pure water feed every now and then.

Will save you alot of heartache by just following there nute schedule per the maker. You already know to start with small dose and work your way up. Just pick one line, follow the schedule and maybe next time or whatever, switch nutes and then choose your fav after awhile. There is no guessing with a schedule. Alot easier to identify under or over feeding too.

There is a recently new sticky by Jmansweed that I would recomend you read, it is long, but very informative. It's basically a study where he ran several different nute lines side by side. It is a very good thread, and found at the top of this indoor growing section.

I would not mix products too much, unless the main product you are using seems to be lacking somwhere. If you do mix, you are going to want give smaller doses of each so that you are not overdoseing on certain nutrients.

I don't think that anyone addressed this point enough:

DONT MIX ANY NUTES...without diluting them in water first...not main nutes, not supplements, nothing...dilute it with plenty of water, then mix with another nute that has been diluted as well...

Two words to lookup to back up what I am saying: "nute lock"

cmd420 said:

DONT MIX ANY NUTES...without diluting them in water first...not main nutes, not supplements, nothing...dilute it with plenty of water, then mix with another nute that has been diluted as well...

ohhhhh... Thank YOU!! :eek:

cmd420 said:

Good point CMD...I assumed this was commen knowledge...you know what they say about ***-u-me!

Latest posts

Back