Afghani - Pot Belly Style

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the weekly update on our little Afghani's. They will be transplanted into their final containers in one more week. The roots are already starting to find their way out of the drain holes in the bottom of the 16 oz cups.

These are the first seedlings I've grown under an HPS, and on a 12/12 cycle. It's obvious to me that these babies haven't seen a MH, as they are not as deep green as I'm used to........

I was afraid they would stretch due to HPS, and 12/12, but the growth after the first true leaves is compact and tight. So far so good with these two....

I will be popping 3 more Afghani seeds in to germ today. I'll be looking for 2 to 3 fems to fill my flowerbox. Will need a male as well to make some seeds if this 12/12 cycle works out........

Thanks for stopping in.

PB:)

100_0885.jpg

100_0887.jpg

100_0888.jpg

hazewarrior said:
Hey Pot..... What's the haps man? How are things? :)

Glad to see you stopped by. Haven't heard from ya in a while. I'm still here trying to stuff an elephant in a sardine can.:p Hopefully these Afghani elephants are "stuffable".

Edit...They are 10 days old, not 9. Bad math.

They were looking photogenic this morning so I took a few more shots of them.

100_0893.jpg

100_0897.jpg

haha, looking good.. I've one afghan lady, but next grow hope to seed from 12/12 too.

why do people grow 12/12 from seed..i thought it produced less bud

Hey maryjane22 - I would say for several reasons....

#1. It is the quickest way to see how a certain strain grows, flowers, and finishes up. This might be helpful if you are trying to find a mother for vegging in the future.

#2. More plants can be grown in a space because footprint is smaller. Still equals quicker bud than vegging one plant.

#3. Trying a new technique because I am bored with vegging mothers, and cloning.

#4. More opportunity to find a decent phenotype, since you are growing each plant from a new seed instead of sister plants that are exactly the same.

#5. Saving electricity. No need to have any light burning for 24 hrs a day. Only 12/12 light cycle. My light bill dropped this month because I'm no longer burning a MH light all day long. Same could still be said about CFL's or HPS if you are using them to veg.

#6. Eliminates need for separate veging cabinet and hassles for ventilation, etc.....

There are prolly more advantages and several disadvantages not discussed here that people could add......

PB

Here are some purty little Afghani's. They are starting to fill in, take off, and green up. They are also staying very compact. Starting side growth from lower nodes.

Thanks for stoppin in..............

100_0899.jpg

100_0900.jpg

100_0901.jpg

Hey pot belly! Real nice little gals u got there. Hope they turn out gorgeous! I was told that a MJ plant can grow from only 8 hours of light. Is there anyone willing to try this? 8 hrs. from seed? I dont have the extra room or lighting to do so but if anyone is up to the challenge please start a thread and message me!

Hey everyone.....Got some more pics to share. I gave them a sip (not too much) of Big Bloom and Tiger Bloom yesterday morning, and I was thinking that it might be a little warm since it included the castings and "stuff" at the very bottom of the watering pail.

They let me know this morning that they didn't appreciate the extra salt on their taters.:p

So a good little flushing this morning, and no harm done. the new growth will be fine.

Look at the way the leaves are reacting - that is typical nute burn. I believe it would be too much Phos because it was flowering ferts? Someone can jump in if they know.......

They are still nice and compact, and beginning more new side growth. It won't be long now before alternating nodes.

The last shot is them in their happy home. The other ones in flower are of the 'Bagious Seedious' strain.

100_0907.jpg

100_0909.jpg

100_0910.jpg

'Bagious Seedious'....... :rofl:

hey man, pick up some FF Cha Ching as well. I did not use that on my last grow but am on my current. i do see a difference. It is used the last 5 weeks of flowering. I am going to flush with ph'd water on my final week though. sure you don't want to transplants those 16oz'rs???

great grow!

hope they get better not worse, coz this is looking to be a good diary PB. im growing afghan #1, whats the difference between #1 & #3 anyway?

Looking good. I was happy to see that you are using 12/12 lighting from seed as I'm doing the same thing and you are about 10 days ahead of me. I'll be following closely!

Latest posts

Back