air pump above water level?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NYC_Diesel x Jack_Herer said:
if you are not using air check valves yes.
i agree with above....but....i have spoken to a credible pet store employee, and they said,"that chances are, that will not happen", so its your call, i dont have one. (newbie hydro)

I think your fine technically if your pump is higher than the connection at your stone.

u'll be fine as long as the hose is higher at some point then the water.

It cant syphon unless it is filled with water.

AND it cannot do anything if the pump is constantly blowing air. Plus air pumps are dirt cheap... so who cares what happens to it. =)

Yes, your air pump should be above the level of the water.

And not all air pumps are cheap--I use a commercial grade electrical magnetic air compressor made by Hydrofarm that puts out 110L a min.

KADE said:
u'll be fine as long as the hose is higher at some point then the water.

It cant syphon unless it is filled with water.

AND it cannot do anything if the pump is constantly blowing air. Plus air pumps are dirt cheap... so who cares what happens to it. =)

It isn't just the pump that could go. If water backs up the air line, which is possible even with air blowing through the line at all times if the water pressure is high enough. It could be an electrical hazard.

Here is the scenario. You have your air pump next to your DWC reservoir. The air pump is blowing bubbles and everything is working fine. You are about to mix a nute batch so you fill the res up to the correct level with water and overfill a bit. However doing this increases the water pressure and the cheapo air pump is not strong enough to push against the pressure and water backs up in the line and into the air pump. All of a sudden you reach for the air pump, and it is the last thing you ever do because you just electrocuted yourself......is this scenario likely? No. But a check valve could prevent it, they make disconnecting your air pump from your air stone easier, and they only cost about $1.
Nothing against cheapo air pumps, I have used the $8 dual outlet pumps from wallamrt before with great results, even though I now use two EcoAir 8's I will still always use check valves on each line.
(attachment is a pic)

View attachment checkvalve.bmp

Latest posts

Back