AlienBait Tries Cold Cathode Lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlienBait

Enjoying the Hooka
Reaction score
What are Cold Cathodes? They are the lights that people put inside their computer cases to light up the components (though I really don't see the point). They are 1 foot long and use 3.5 watts each. I got 10 of them for a total of 35 watts of light, just to see if they would work for growing our favorite plants. I've never seen anyone grow with these types of lights before, so I'm doing a little experiment.

I chose to use mostly red lights because that is what the chlorophyl absorbs best, but it also absorbs blue, so I have a couple of those. I also added two white ones just to give the plants a little more variety. The white lights actually don't put out as many photons as the red or blue because (I was told) they are actually the same as the blue ones with a coating on them that absorbs some of the blue light and re-radiates in the lower spectrums. In doing so, some light energy is lost.

The lights cost about 3.00 each. With tax and shipping, the 10 lights cost $36.00.

Despite the name, they put out as much heat as a fluorescent tube. However they are much smaller and many of them can be crammed into a small space. Like fluorescent lights, they need a ballast. That is what those little blue boxes are on top of the grow box. Each ballast can control two lights. Everything is running off the computer power supply, which also made it easy to plug in the computer fan without any mods. The power supply and fan together use 15 watts for a total of 50 watts for this grow.

I am using the same 2-liter soda bottles that I used in previous experiments because I already had them and they seemed to work pretty well last time.

The plants are 1 White Satin and 1 White Widow which I grew from clones. The White Satin was vegged for 2 weeks longer than the Widow, which I vegged for 1 week after rooting. That is why it is a little bigger and thicker. By the way, the White Satin is a clone from the plant I used for my LED/16oz cup grow. I re-vegged that plant and took about 5 clones from it. The White Widow is a clone from last spring's closet grow.

Of course, one would get better results with a HPS, but for Micro-Growers, this may be a way to go. Even so, I think it's going pretty well. Buds and trichs are forming and the plants are healthy. The folowing pics are 3 weeks into flowering and were taken last week.

1) The lights glued to the top of the grow-box.
2) The ballasts. Each one controls 2 lights
3) Modified PC power supply
4) The plants on day 1
5) The plants at the end of week 3
6) WS and WW side by side
7) Different angle
8) From the top
9) White Satin
10 White Widow

Lights.jpg

Back.jpg

PowerSupply.jpg

InTheBox-1.jpg

InTheBox-2.jpg

ThePair.jpg

Angle.jpg

Top.jpg

WS-1.jpg

WW-1.jpg

Bookmarked :D
Lookin forward to another AlienBait experiment :aok:

AB & his experiments...:)

He could prolly try a grow using black lights...Styrofoam peanuts as a medium, and gasoline as a fertilizer & get it to work.:D

He has the greatest luck!

I always enjoy watching the mad "alien" scientist do his thing!:fly:

HempMan said:
AB & his experiments...:)

He could prolly try a grow using black lights...Styrofoam peanuts as a medium, and gasoline as a fertilizer & get it to work.:D

LOL! :smoke1: I'll try that next growing season. :hubba:

Here is an update on the Cold Cathode grow. These pics were taken this morning. This is the end of week 4:
1) White Satin on the left, White Widow on the right.
2) WS
3) WS
4) WW
5) WW

CCW4.jpg

CCW4-WS.jpg

CCW4-WS2.jpg

CCW4-WW.jpg

CCW4-WW2.jpg

AB - Interesting concept again.......Nice lookin ladies ya got.

Since you are the mad scientist of light, have often wondered about a low pressure sodium light. They are very yellow. Wonder how that would do.......

PB:)

Hey alien great grow bro. never thought you could use those lights lol have some of them in my comp lol love the plants they are budding nice will be watching this grow bro peace and good luck

Pot Belly said:
Since you are the mad scientist of light, have often wondered about a low pressure sodium light. They are very yellow. Wonder how that would do.

Low Pressure Sodium lights are no good for growing because they only produce light in a very narrow band; around 600nm. Like you said, they are yellow and plants do not absorb much light in that area. You need more red and blue light.

High Pressure Sodium lights produce a much broader spectrum. Even though they look yellowish, they have the red and blue that the plants need.

AlienBait said:
Low Pressure Sodium lights are no good for growing because they only produce light in a very narrow band; around 600nm. Like you said, they are yellow and plants do not absorb much light in that area. You need more red and blue light.

I get the picture. Thanks for the info..........

PB:)

Whats up Ab i see ya got it goin. glad to see you back and up to ya same ol tricks. the ladies are looking good keep it up

Nice man! I like it.........i'm curious, stoned, and subscribed.

this is a crazy azz experiment. I may light up my box just for the effects.

a few of those lights and some of cheech's dingle balls and my lowrider box will be the shiznit!

:huh:

Update time!

Things are going pretty good on this side of the lab. We are at the end of 5 weeks flowering. The buds on the White Satin are getting really thick. You can really see the difference a couple of extra weeks of veg makes (Then again, it could just be a difference in the strains).

The Pictures:

1) Both plants: White Satin on the left, White Widow on the right.
2) WS
3) WW
4) WS
5) WW

CCWSWW.jpg

CCWS1.jpg

CCWW1.jpg

CCWS2.jpg

CCWW2.jpg

interesting..

Hows the Heat with the light and ballast??

MrPuffAlot said:
interesting..

Hows the Heat with the light and ballast??

The lights put out about as much heat as a 35Watt CFL. The ballasts don't put out much, but they are warm to the touch, so I thought it best to put the outside the box. Using 1 computer fan seems to keep the temps just right. :)

wow just came in to see whats going on and bam nice we mmust have more

Sin inc said:
wow just came in to see whats going on and bam nice we mmust have more

Sorry, man. You're going to have to wait until next week for updates.;)

Cool experiment, glad to see someone is trying it. I thought Cold Cathode Florescent Lamps produced 1/2 the lumens that standard CFL's did. Do you know how many lumens those bulbs give off?

This is my first post in one of your grow journals but I've been reading through them and learning a lot, so thanks for sharing your experience!

Your LED grow has me really considering an LED purchase, particularly after I discovered just how much heat my 400W HID is going to put out.

I assume the white covering over the soil of the plants is to retain moisture (?) I've never seen than done, would you care to explain what it is and how it's beneficial?

Also, have you ever considered growing with red and blue Christmas lights?

Can't believe I missed this, great stuff Alienbait !! Your plants were grown entirely with these ?

Latest posts

Back