Allgrownup - Northern LightsXShiva Journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

allgrownup

All info and inspiration derived here at MP!

Grow Box Setup:

DWC - 6, 6" Pots
3X4X7 cheapo white converted wardrobe. Used xtra shelf to reinforce bottom.
2 airpumps 2 airline outlets each pump running 4 6" airstones. One stone under each row of pots.
400W HPS 18/6 cycle - 18" above plant
465cfl Dayton squirrelcage run 24/7
4" duct exhaust split on "Y" to Light shroud and top of box
4" intake with inline fan on timer with light schedule
Cold air humidifier (use in afternoons to help cool box and raise H)
Fresh air and exhaust vent to doggie door in garage door. Side gate is locked at all times.
Hydroton
Fox Farm Nutes
SuperThrive
PH 5.8 checked 3 times daily

Seedboutique: Nirvana Seeds Northern LightsXShiva

Germed in cup in cupboard
Transfered to rockwool cube
With sufficient root base i transfered to DWC
First few days just Ph'd water
SuperThrive/distilled water applied to foilage 3 times daily

after 1 week 4tsp Super Thrive added to DWC

Almost 2 weeks later....Just started Grow Big 3stp in DWC and will increase over time.

So whatcha all think? I owe it all to you guys! THANKS MP!

Here we are today....notice the difference in size between the two plants. The only thing i can speculate that possibly had an effect is the main root on the small plant was exposed to the light from the rockwool. It actually discolored to a dark color at the tip. At one time it was the larger fater growing plant. I transfered both at the same time in the rockwool cubes to the DWC. Maybe i should have tranfered this one sooner??? The other has far surpassed it now.

1.3 weeksDWC.jpg

BigDifference.jpg

DWCSetup.jpg

love the setup man how its so basic and clean good work .Yea i had a problem with plant diffrent size dont really worry they will still bud may be shorter but most times will still bud heres a way to try to get it to grow better and will probaly save it if to weak .even the weakest can survive .Buy some superthive use it 1 time a week 1 drop per gallon will make roots grow like crazy thats the only reason my plants are surviving now .I had a root rot problem still do so its eaten the roots by day killing them but as me using superthive the new roots grow in everyweeek i use it so those.so its still getting water from the new roots and when those roots die doesnt matter i got superthive if u dont kidda follow what im saying just let me know i ll try to explain it betterto u .seems like ur doin fine though great work keep us updated especially whne budding .most important part that and cloning

should these plants be growing "up" they are getting quite bushy but not a lot of vertical going on right now.

do they fill out and then reach for the sky?

allgrownup said:
should these plants be growing "up" they are getting quite bushy but not a lot of vertical going on right now.

No, in fact, before I read this question, I was just about to compliment you on how short and bushy they were. Remember, bushy is better. If a plant is short and bushy, the internodes are not spaced very far apart, which means your yield is bigger. If you can grow these the same way all the way till harvest, not only will you get a bigger yield, but you will be making more efficient use out of the space you have in your closet. That is, because you will have more plant matter per inch they grow. You're doing a good job, keep it up. Oh, and one more point. I'm pretty sure that at least northern lights is mostly Indica. I'm not sure about the Shiva... Anyways, indica plants tend to grow shorter and bushier by genetics than Sativa. Sativa grows tall and skinny, and isn't very suitable to grow indoors.
By the way, what does DWC stand for? Is it a part of the hydro system, or is it those clay balls you've got for medium?

Well, i completely abandoned the plants for much needed R&R.

when i arrive back I open the garage and what a smell!

and to my delightful surprise i see my plants have enormous growth!

I think i'm about at a month and wondering when i should top and clone??

I changed the water before i left, and i just finished changing it again 16 days later. i also just built a cloneing bubbler today and another box :D

these things are so bushy :D the plant in front even though it looks ratty right now...is about 4 inches taller and actually denser. I think it grew as close to the light as it could stand and then started curling and begging me to come home!!!

I raised the light and misted with Super Thrive, it looks better already than these pics show.

DWC = Deep Water Culture and is the type of hydro setup i'm using.

4wks.jpg

4wks2.jpg

4wks3.jpg

Holy crap,

i can't believe after looking at my previous pics above how fast these plants have grown :eek: .

I left march 30th and got back yesterday night 11;30pm.

i was thinking they would be dead, wilted, spotted, dried, or at best triple the size i left them.

This is a great surprise, i'm glad i went with this setup as i hoped it would be the simplest. could you leave plants in soil for 16-20 days at a time without water?

I took seven cuttings from each plant last night and put them in the bubble cloner i made.

Ill flower one from each plant to determine gender. Hopefully i'll be able to choose the six i want to keep.

CloneBubbler.jpg

CloneBubbler2.jpg

CloneBubbler3.jpg

id have to agree that your doing something right those are some bushy plants.

germ the seed, after it sprouts over 1/4 inch stick into a 1 or 2" rockwool cube. Pre soak the cube with PH'd water first. Insert the seed in the cube and cover gently. Place under light. I started under the quatd CFL setup on this site. I now use it for growing the clones. see pics. The seed will sprout and after they are a few inches tall and about on their first or second set of real leaves they will be ready to transfer to DWC. you can tell by the roots growing through the rockwool don't let them get exposed to the light. your netpots will be full of PRESOAKED HYDROTON. that is important. that stuff is really dirty right out of the bag. soak it in the tub. fill the netpots until about 3 inches from top. Insert your cubes and make sure you remove the plastic outer lining. Cover around and on top of the rockwool. It is important to completely cover the rockwool and fill the netpots full enough to cover all the slits so no light can penetrate to the water.

DO NOT NUTE, DO NOT NUTE, I duplicated that for a purpose. You can and i do add superthrive. I start by just misting for the first 2 weeks. then i add 5 tsps every 2 weeks with resivoir change. after 3 weeks i added some Fox farms but start slow.

this post is getting long, all the info can be found on this site as well as great videos to SHOW you step by step how to grow.

PM me if you need more help, i've got step by step pics on the DWC setup and can help if you need. Make sure you have a sturdy base. 27 gallons of water is over 160lbs!

see ya round

oh yeah....to answer your question.

i fed mine with distilled water and misted with S.T. daily in a tupperware container.

peace out

It is not necessary to mist to feed. The DWC will provide the moisture by design.

i mist, cuz it makes me feel more involved and gives me something to do. It must be helping cuz my plants are bushy as can be. i use a 1gallon/1tsp Super Thrive mix in distilled water. then i fill my spray bottle with it and mist daily. More often when younger, and as needed if i damage when older.

I don't rais my light unless the plants tell me to. uh, i mean show me to.

I just checked my notes and i'm closing in on 6 weeks since DWC.

I've been applying the "liquid death" for suspected mites and so far there has been no effects to the plants. I have not seen another mite either. I also am going to turn loose a few lady bugs tonight after the lights go off just to make sure.

Here's what they look like now after 14 clones taken a week ago. Growth is still tremendouse and they are filling in bushier everday. Man i hope they're LADIES! I think they're ready to flower but my clones haven't rooted yet in the bubble cloner. i want to keep these as mothers if female but i just dont have the room or anyone to give the clones to so i'm going to flower 1 clone from each first to see gender.

Not really sure what i'm going to do after that.....

6weeks.jpg

6weeks2.jpg

6weeks3.jpg

6weeks4.jpg

6weeks5.jpg

hope you don't mind me popping in
you got a nice grow going there mate, plants are realy bushy
best of luck with the females

don't mind at all. i appreciate the compliment as a matter of fact! I just built a small space for the prospectiv mother. crossin fingers for a fem at this time. will post some pics of dedicated mother cabinet next.

Review of current status of clones

Remaining 13 od 14 rooting nicely....

got a 3rd area set up to flower 2 clones and then be dedicated mother home. Its a part of the clone cabinets and housesmy vdub parts...hpe they dont rust................................more

oh yea when my gets to tall i usually bend them but i dont suggest u do it u gotta watchj a video to get it right u basisly like rubbing fingers together do that to the stem until its gets soft while doin it kidda bend to the direction u are carefull u could break them thats why i suggest u dont do it unless u fimilar i do mines like that then theyu grow back up it just delays them for a while unless ur in the last weks then they stay bent still grow buds the d
allgrownup said:

same way ill show u a picture of mines ..but if there growing tall bushy standing to fall over just steak em get a paper clip bend it strait stick it in rock wool or soil get a thrash bag tie found in trash bagwrap around botttom of stem not to low a area where i vunerble dont want to hurt it .thats it

My plants are to bushy and stems are way to thick to bend. I have no problem with my plants being stringy weak or otherwise falling over. I'm worried they are going to outgrow the box though!

13 out of 14 clones have rooted and are on there way. I just finished my dedicated mother chamber and i'm going to use it to flower 2 clones to see gender.

then i'll know where to go from here!

as promised here's my new grow space:

start.jpg

shoppinglist.jpg

vent.jpg

vent2.jpg

strongshelf.jpg

finished.jpg

works.jpg

motherandcloner.jpg

all lights are moveable.....plenty of room to add more lights if needed (i have them already)

elected for cfl's for less heat, we'll see???

Just need to add a small exhaust fan at top.

OK someone upgrade me to 5 stars..

i got me a girl for each arm!

don't think i need to flower clones, the plants have two white hairs some upt to 1/2" long growing out of pod at top 4 nodes.

never looked for them before, thought i had to flower first?????

This means they're ready to flower!

To bad i noticed on the tallest plant on the cutting right after i cut her head off! Yep i topped her, then saw the hairs on the clone. I feel like that king that chopped off heads

so now i'll get two cola's on the one i topped. i'm going to let grow for 1-2 weeks before flower now.

Latest posts

Back