Anyone use Hygrozyme in hydro?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hushpuppy

Dr MadBud
Reaction score
As many of you know, I am a hydro grower and I have been trying different things. One of the things that I have been trying is organic nutes in hydro, but rather than use the microbes to chelate the organics, I have been using Hygrozyme to break everything down. It seems to be working quite well but I am left with a buildup of a brown slime that looks like mud. It collects around the edges of the waterline and on the pumps, and then when I empty the tanks I find a significant amount at the bottom of the tanks.

Has anyone else encountered this happening? I'm wondering if it is a heavy sediment by-product from the organic nute tea and the Zyme interacting or if it is something else entirely, but I have not seen anything like this before in my tanks until using the Zyme. It has showed up in every tank that has had the Zyme used so far. Any ideas? :)

I see it in my bubbler when I'm oxygenating my nute teas. I've never had any issues with it, I figured it just a byproduct of the chemistry going on. I don't really know what it is exactly, I just know its never hurt anything. But I'm a soil man myself, so take that with a grain of salt!

I grow hydro as well, a bucket system, and use hygrozyme. I do get a film at the water line as well as a coating of some sort on pumps, hoses, ect, but have never noticed a negative effect in so far as growing. I really wouldn't call what I've experienced "slime".

The brown slime is bio-film (bacteria, fungi, etc).

The brown mud is either your nutes are precipitating, or, is your coco decomposing.....or roots:eek:

Yeah I haven't noticed any negative issues from the "mud" other than it getting in my pumps and clogs them a bit. It isn't majorly slimy, but I do get a little bit of the bio-film slime anyway and I suspect it is getting in the "mud" since it likes to attach to stuff.

So it is as I suspected, just decomposing material that is too heavy to stay in solution. Thanks guys :)

The microbes in the "mud" will go anaerobic if not enough aeration. That is when the problems will start.

I make a tea using Ancient Forest, ZHO, Aquashield and molasses. I started using this over a year ago when I was having root and slime problems. I was told that the cynobacteria in my water supply was causing this to happen. I also get the line at the top of the water and a little mud in the bottom. The mud is from the Ancient Forest and it has never been a problem.

I use synthetic hydro nutes so I make sure to add a little tea every other day or so and I have had no problems since I started using the tea.

Is this what the Hygrozyme is for? I would prefer to buy it already made and that would be one less thing that I have to remember to make every week.

PC: I keep plenty of aeration in all my resevoirs for sure. I learned that one early :)

Stevetberry: It is my understanding that the Hygrozyme is a formula of enzymes that act the same as the enzymes that are produced by the beneficial microbes, and it is used to break down raw materials in the system much the same way that microbes do. This is probably a bit oversimplified but it seems to me that the Hygrozyme sort of takes the place of the microbes or in the case where you have microbes in your system, it is used to assist the microbes. :)

Latest posts

Back