anyone with experience flowering straight from seed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dank.bud76

danker da better
Reaction score
not talking autoflowering types, but reg mj. i started a new years grow (as i've seen many others have!) from some seeds saved over the years. i wanted to test and grow straight in 12/12 to see if i could get a single cola plant (read it somewhere, doesn't seem to be working). i see at least one of them looks to be sativa. i'm curious if i should worry about height going straight to flower? one plant is about 10" tall now. a couple of the fatty leaf ones are making my mouth water but this one is growing taller than those so i'm getting worried. who knows might even be male, but i did the seed test on them that i found on this site where i checked for the roundness of the bottom 'pit' of the seed. i put all the irregular ones aside and all these seeds had nice round bottoms so if that chart was right they *should* be female. we'll see about that. never heard it before but i sure don't know it all either.

dank.bud76 said:
not talking autoflowering types, but reg mj. i started a new years grow (as i've seen many others have!) from some seeds saved over the years. i wanted to test and grow straight in 12/12 to see if i could get a single cola plant (read it somewhere, doesn't seem to be working). i see at least one of them looks to be sativa. i'm curious if i should worry about height going straight to flower? one plant is about 10" tall now. a couple of the fatty leaf ones are making my mouth water but this one is growing taller than those so i'm getting worried. who knows might even be male, but i did the seed test on them that i found on this site where i checked for the roundness of the bottom 'pit' of the seed. i put all the irregular ones aside and all these seeds had nice round bottoms so if that chart was right they *should* be female. we'll see about that. never heard it before but i sure don't know it all either.

please post a link to said thread on this form please of the seed test..I have seen some good ones..I think the one you may have read said that the fatest darkest seed is the best to use...not female..but i am interested..a bit:p :bolt::bong:

you could switch them to a 12/12 light cycle now, and they may show sex in about 2 weeks. as for the seed test, that's complete bullspit, yeah some someone used once may have been 'that way' and ended up being female, which was merely coincadence. good luck.

im getting reedy to do a multistrain grow, only gonna veg for a week, then straight to flower, should get at least an ounce per plant.

got 40 seeds, so half would be ok with me being female!

I did two grows with 12/12 lighting from the beginning. The first grow was an all Indica grow and the second one was a Sativa grow. The Indica grow worked the best. The plant remained small and compact. With the Sativa grow on the other hand, the plants got tall and lanky. However, I can't remember how big the colas were.

It seems to me that some strains suit the purpose better than others.

Don't worry about it, dank.bud. As long as you take proper care of them I imagine that it'll work out for you. You might get tall, skinny plants, but I don't think that would affect the quality of the smoke. That's just my opinion, I don't really know for sure, but I think you'll be just fine.

UKgirl420: Can you tell me anything to expect? do they grow out vertically just the same or do they stay shorter?

as for the thread with the seed sexing info, just spent 10 minutes looking for it and cant find it but i know it's here somewhere. in a nutshell, there was a scan of a page from some book. it had a picture of 3 seeds showing the bottom (rounder of the 2) end of the seed. if you look closely there is a little indentation. based on the roundness, or how close to a perfect circle this indentation is, should determine sex. at least thats what the pic/thread said. i looked and some of my seeds had nice round indentations, and some had irregular shaped, oval or otherwise not quite as perfectly round as the others. so i just planted the one with circular indentations to see if that would get me all females.

guess what. as of today, two are showing. they are indeed female. four of them are not showing, but of those four two are exhibiting this mysterious stalk rot thing and i'm not sure they will be able to make it. the other two plants i'm curious to see how they sex.

i already have another batch of 'pre-sexed seeds' that just popped a couple days ago in 24/0 waiting for this batch to finish. if between these two 6 plant batches i can get at least 5 of each batch females ill consider it successful.

if you want single colas i would recomend cutitin any low branches for clones
if you have problem with the sativa dom seed you could lst or top
just what i would do i your situation
also whats the hieght of your room?
i THINK with 12/12 from seed it shouldnt get over 3ft i could be wrong

I remember reading that article too... about the indentation and everything... I don't have a scope to inspect the seeds myself, so I just plant them all and roll the dice....

Latest posts

Back