Attic growing safe?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danknuggets

Reaction score
Ey guys i was thinkin about startin a couple plants up in my attic because i don't really feel like making one of my rooms a grow room.I was gonna get a timed light of course but i was just wondering if its even safe or good for the plant?Thanks peez.

YAA MAN JUST MAKE LIKE A LITTL E ROOM UP THERE
there is a lot of guys growing on attic just whatchout for temp difer.
and is as safe as your room

word so pretty much all i need to do is hook up a light? or is there anything else ima need?thanks

if your attic is not very ventelated, or stuffy / muggy, you could have problems with mold, also i dont know much about this but you might wanna find something that blocks the heat out to those "pesky pork choppers in the sky" lol

if it were me i'd line my roof with tin foil, but i dont even know if that would work

hope this helps

danknuggets said:
word so pretty much all i need to do is hook up a light? or is there anything else ima need?thanks

Hello there, hey I dont mean to be the crasher of the party for ya dude but I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth. First of all the number one most important factor of all is you and your families safety. If you do not know what you are doing and know it well...DO NOT GROW IN YOUR ATTIC!!! lol...i mean it though. sure to an experienced grower its no problem but for a new person it can mean disaster. for instance...you overload a breaker, it dont flip you go to bed, it catches fire, since its in your attic, you have no clue till your waken by the neighbors or fire department. Your house is gone...statisticly 1 out 2 house fires that start in the attic are a 100% loss. If the marshal says you caused it by gross negligence..(growing pot in your attic) now your double screwd..the insurance say's you get nothing..(it will happen that way, they have lawers!!) the fire department bills you thousands of dollars for theyr services, Johny law presses criminal charges and all while the redcross hemhaws weather you and your family are worth helping...oh yes and the social services people poking around asking all kinds of questions to the kids...BAD MOJO...and you still are required to pay the house payments the insurance wont pay and that can be court ordered..Listen growing in a attic is harder anyway...hiding the fact your in and out of the attic, is one thing, you can slip in and out of a bedroom and when the door is shut and smell is controled, out of site truely IS out of mind, the temp in a living space is controled alot easyer in a bedroom or closet. you can slip into a bedroom with company over, the attic is a little more questionable, also your first few grows will require alot more attention. humidity, insulation, raw wood and heat have mold written all over it. some mold spores in attics and crawl spaces can kill you. even small amounts of mold can also cause numerous broncular infections. If your not EXCELLENT at following instructions, buy every thing prewired, ballast and timers prewired to 110/120, use good grade extention cords and evenly distribute the power/current flow. Your ballast, carbon filter motor, and if needed, your a/c unit are your heaviest amp users, dont put them all on the same gfi or power strip. run the amps from several different outlets if you can, put the a/c timer and ballast timer on at least 5 minutes apart so they dont kick on at the same time. This minimizes breaker stress. In my opinion if you grow in your attic, install at leat a few(not just one) smoke detectors up there, know your circut box and where the master is for the whole house. keep a fire extuinguisher on hand down stairs and up stairs. run it all non stop for 48 hours and check it regularly feel the recipticals, flipp the ballast on and off several times in peak operation to check for a stressed breaker. If all is well than bring on the girls...sorry if I sound over kill, but dude think about it and retihnk about, get knowledge and facts and make informed descisions. you can crop out in a closet small time and hav as much fun.. Hey its 11 minutes till 420, alaska time!!!:peace: Take care

longtimegrower said:
northernlightssmokn sounds like your afraid of everything..
No not realy, just makes sense to be prepaired...lol..its good advice I think. Being scared of electricity keeps lineman or wireman apprentice alive. Being scared of drowning makes a boater cary a life jacket. This doesnt stop them from doing the things they do though. I does affect how they do do it. I apply the threat of the situation, pro and con into the equasion all the time. It was just my 2 cents...lol:bolt:

longtimegrower said:
northernlightssmokn sounds like your afraid of everything..

I wouldn't say that... he is well prepared.. there is a difference... every growroom should have a fire extinguisher with abc powder too.. (abc is good for everything, oil/fat/electrical/wood, all types of fire)

I cannot see a breaker not tripping tho... I've never heard of it.

WORDD thats exactly what i was thinkin nlsmoker for real though thanks.**** attic growing back to my room:)

IMHO the only real problem that I see in an attic is 10 temp controll eithout and exuberant expence and 20 mold. Unless you plan on building a new room up there, to me it's not worth the trouble. The electric will be the same. You're going to make sure everything is right before you do anything anyway, or at least you should. No overloaded breakers, DO NOT, by no means, change the rating on a breaker to accomadate more power because it's tripping out. The breaker may handle this but the question is in the wire size. The wire may not be able to handle it, so it'll get hot, melt, and burn. Ive seen this first hand.

So my sugestion is KISS. Keep It Simple Sam. If you have another room available use that , or an empty basement like me, build a room down there.

i agree, the attic is something that a pro grower who knows what precautions to take. I think NorthernLights is paranoid, but arent we all. i say: better safe than sorry.

Also, a lot of attics contain insulation. If you have the time and money, you will need to basically build a room in the attic (flooring and walls) to cover the insulation up.

but its way too much work for lazy ol' me. stick to a self contained growing area. you dont even need to convert an entire room for it either, we got ours sitting in the corner :)

Latest posts

Back