Bad Soil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superballs

Reaction score
Miracle Grow Organic Choice Garden Soil. I had one guy here tell me he used this stuff and told me it was garbage, it WILL cook my plants for sure...But I decided to leave her in it since I just transplanted and she had a little shock, plus he said this was meant for a topsoil and the stuff I got says garden soil. Others told me to leave it in, dont risk second transplant. Well I explained that I did not follow directions before and didnt mix this soil 1:1 with native soil also...plant has been looking great though, BUT..... I noticed now yesterday that the edges of the leaves are browning and this morning it seems to be just slightly worse...I'm really worried I've made a horrible mistake. Please, Can anyone give me some good advice??? Do you know about this soil?
Also, this is difficult because I just started a new job and wont have money at all to buy new soil or anything for 2 weeks.

:yeahthat: and imo to try an correct all that may have gone wrong and al the trouble for one plant is not worth the hastle man.
its fine to take advise an listen to others but also do alot of reading for yourself so you can make the final judgement . and that way you will be able to spot idiot answers and good answers when you hear/read them.
you get bak wat you put in. meanin if you go cheap and slack or take shortcuts etc.. your prolly not gonna be smokin very long off ya harvest if ya get that far.

Son of a *****, mother ******.....I friggin knew it!!! Well I understand your opinion on it being to much hassle for one plant, and calling it a loss, but I'm not ready to give up yet! I dont want another plant right now...I want this one to live. I'm going for another transplant into native soil, any advice, What can help me here...I dont want this plant to die, ti still looks very healthy and perky minus a few leaves browning on ends

well, what you want and what you are going to get are two completely different things...

I can smell MG grown weed from a mile away.
I can always tell when I smoke it.

Trust me, just kill it and start over. It's just going to get much worse.

the problem will still exist as it will still contain the mg soil. jmo.
honestly man. how old is this plant is it shown female or male yet?
why not just start anew one and divert the attention and skills you may obtain in readin thru here for couple a days into a new plant. you will be glad you did and so will ya new plant, granted you go about it better.
and native soil do you mean like the dirt in ya back yard? lol sorry man not laffin at you but honestly i wouldnt do it. unless ya gonna add butt loads of ammendments to it liek peat moss and major perlite etc.
we could all sit here and answer questions for you all day long but they wont mean a thing if you dont try an learn a thing or two for yourself on ur own as well. i'd say do wat ya gotta do wit the current plant if need be but i wouldnt pull my hair out over it if dont work. but in mean time catch up on soem major reading thruout the forum here and then try tackling it anew when you feel confident man. just my honest opinion.

thank you effen g and zipflip again, the thing is that the root clump is not in miracle gro soil, it is in the backyard,(native) soil and it has only been surrounded by miracle gro soil for 3-4 days now so the roots havent really had time to spread into the miracle gro soil. I think I could transplant it removing 95-99% of the miracle gro soil and put back in the backyard soil JUST UNTIL I get paid next friday and can get some real soil...I think it would be a real shame to waste such a beautiful female. She is about 3 months old and is definetely a female. What do you think? Is she salvageable after knowing this?

hey zipflip , just observe for a second , if we wash MG soil in a big gallon of water and mixing it then remove it with a tinted filter and wash it again and again and again and squeeze and crumble and wash ... all the nutes of MG soil will disolve and go ... but will that soil be any good for growing ? as in a neutral soil with no nutes ... and have nutes added later ? is this an idea for successful grows with MG soil ?
i need to know this because i have 2 big pots 1 with the washing technique the other normal setup.
however im not sure which pot is which this is my problem , and one of them is living and the other is dieing , i need an answer to get my next grows perfect for which technique to use lol.

well depending on if you feedin nutes yet crozar. and how often an how much, to at least rule out any nute toxicity/defficiency firstly. and how often are you watering, is it over watered underwatered? then iwould jot down wat the ph of water nute solution is that your puttin in. then i'd test the runnoff water and jot down the ph from that. and take all ya details and do ya homework from there. then if everythin is up to par and not over/underdone then i would have to say IMO that the one that seems to be dien is the one in MG soil.
hence this is why i feel there should be
WARNING STICKY AT TOP OF EVERY FORUM SECTION ABOUT USING mg PRODUCTS FOR GROWIN MJ, OR AT LEAST A USE AT YOUR OWN RISK TYPE DISCLAIMER ON ALL mg PRODUCTS. LOL
but i have read a couple times somewhere how people have rinsed/washed/flushed their medium that had ferts already in it like MG to try an get the nutes out as much as possible. but remember that when you do this not to have the plant in the medium while doin it . just cuz thats how mg works. when ya water it it releases the slow release ferts in it. so by watering it more your only releasing more an more ferts in it thus toxifying levels even maybe.

superballs
thank you effen g and zipflip again, the thing is that the root clump is not in miracle gro soil, it is in the backyard,(native) soil and it has only been surrounded by miracle gro soil for 3-4 days now so the roots havent really had time to spread into the miracle gro soil. I think I could transplant it removing 95-99% of the miracle gro soil and put back in the backyard soil JUST UNTIL I get paid next friday and can get some real soil...I think it would be a real shame to waste such a beautiful female. She is about 3 months old and is definetely a female. What do you think? Is she salvageable after knowing this?

idk man imo its more an "up to you" kinda thing here now.
i'm sure many have encountered similar situations/binds and done wat your talkin of doin an succeeded an im sure there are others who have tried an failed an killed their maidens. but if you were to do this. and put in all native soil again, by the time you get better soil next friday it may die or even suffer from so much stress that it wont ever be wat it was suppose to be it may even hermie or worse yet even die on ya.
but then again mj is a weed man. it can grow just bout anywhere in many diff conditions etc but will it produce any fruits worth ya labor or even good or at the least decent quality.
now this is strictly my opinion on wat i would do in ur situation , and in no way am i advising you to do so. just so that if it does die you dont go hatin on me for it lol.
but if me i would do lie ya said but really man if you got any sorta garden center inya town even wal-mart you should be able to find somethin better tho not best soil mix. just go to wal-mart and get some cheap hyponex soil. that wat im growin in mnow. it royally sux. it really sandy and tends to clump up really hard between waterings. just pik out the big tree bark chunks in it teh best ya can imo. its bout maybe 2 bucks most for small bag even. brand (HYPONEX. in black bag. and get bag of perlite. perlite at walmart here when they have it is only bout 5-6 bux a bag.
but honestly man if you absolutely cant find someone even to borrow you ten bux or if unable to scrape up measly ten bux for change to save this ladies life then i gotta say man. this is small potatoes if ya cant figure that out some how maybe ya should just chalk up the loss maybe.
the damage is prolly done by now and will not fix wat has been done. only prevent more from happening is all.
just if ya get the hyponex soil an perlite whish is a must wit this hyponex. i'd be extremely generous wit the amount you use. to keep it from hardening up on ya.
idk man honestly it seems to me it so outta wack that maybe ya better off takin the chance an leavin it in there and if it dies it dies. cuz really the stress from wat ya wanna do even if done wit care will probly be so much stress not includin wat stress it went thru already an prolly go kapoot.
its one them things where it all but chance left now imo. or do wat crozar said bout washin an rinsin the MG good an i mean real good. and let it dry completely. granted then it may be empty of all ferts then you'll have to start addin nutes but you will never knwo if to add or not or wats left in the mg that when you water an try adding extra nutes that it also continues to release more from the ferts already in ti.
good luck

i bet you both will never use another MG product again now huh? lol sorry not laffin at ya both. we all make mistakes bein beginners. i have made so many myself. and i have also learned that sometimes it better to chalkit up a loss an start a new or at least not stress over it and simply look at it as a learning experience.
i still make mistakes guys. and you will continue to do so as well im sure. just dont let it get you down an give up.
practice makes perfect my friends. and im sure all these guys growin awesome fat ol buds an tall beutiful full ladies aint ya avg at home beginner either. im sure they too have all went thru many of these types mistakes as well and have lerned from it in ways to better their next grow and so on over many years man.
ya cant just sew a seed an expect to be cheifin up some primo buds in few months that you can brag about.
if it was that simple dont ya think the pot would be cheaper an more availabe in some areas? just somethin to remember is all.

i dont use MG soil , but my soil have is similar to MG soil and it releases the nutes slowly depending on watering . however its lesser fertilizer then the MG soil , but 1 ofthe 2 pots is been washed severly without the plant in offcourse and the other i didnt wash the soil , i am not sure which pot is which , but 1 is doing great and the other is not so well.

maybe outdoors it would work better. so i hear more on the outdoor aspect. i'm assumin it cuz all is not confied to one lil pot of soil and thus a lot is prolly leached into the surounding soil therefore diluting teh heat of the ferts added maybe? but i have read that its not too bad if in the growun outside and if properly ammended. and yes it would work wonders i imagine. i recall a guy on here who used MG and his girls were monsters. an if i'm not mistaken was the user oldhippy" or somethin liek that. not sure....
anyone else know? and wat happened to old hippy anyway?

Guys, thankyou for your advice and knowledge...I really do appreciate it ALOT!!! With the new light of it maybe working just leaving it in, I think I'll just go ahead and risk leaving her in. BUT, I am gonna dig around the site without getting too close to her roots and remove as much of that soil as I can and go and get some real soil, I made $85 today, I would like to try out Fox Farms...do they make an outside soil??? Or Anybody got any suggestions on a good soil...Thanks for the tip on adding perlite to hyponex for an ok, cheap soil zip. Youve been very helpful, but since I got the money, what do you suggest? I wont be adding any nutes to her unless I have too. But the leftover soil should be enough nutrients I'm guessing. I've been checking on her frequently and her growth is definetely not stunted...She is growing at a miraculous rate,(no pun intended), there are new shoots out of every site and the older branches are really spreading out every day and the browning edges seem to not be spreading anymore, all the new growth shows no damage, I dont know...maybe the browning was just shock from transplant???

I know this seems like alot of work and to most...not worth it. But I enjoy playing in the dirt and I'm determined to make this work. Thanks again!

Oh and I guess my questions are Whats a good soil for me to replace what I can, and use in the future. Also it gets VERY HOT here in Southern Texas, lots of 100 degree plus days here, so I want to start spraying the leaves at night with just water, gotta good mister today at the dollar store and it really mists...not squirts or sprays, my question is "What kind of water should I use, the tap water here is very hard water, one drop will leave white deposits on the leaves, is bottled water ok?

Oh and YES I have learned a valuable lesson for the future:eek: And thanks also to you Reddy, youre words and zips helped my decision and I guess goodluck to me, I'm sure I'll be here alot more to whine about what I did wrong guys;) By the way...What does "IMO" mean?

theres nothing wrong with MG .. as long as it doesnt have time released nutes in it.... i wouldnt recoment the nutes.. but if its a pure organic soil without the nutes.. its fine.....

dr_toker81 said:
theres nothing wrong with MG .. as long as it doesnt have time released nutes in it.... i wouldnt recoment the nutes.. but if its a pure organic soil without the nutes.. its fine.....

Miracle-Gro states that this soil was specially created for the organic gardener (and is not intended for commercial growing). It contains a premium blend of sphagnum peat moss, compost and natural fertilizers. The fertilizer offers both quick and continuous release of nitrogen and is designed for use with vegetables, annual and perennial flowers.

The instructions are simple: Mix the Miracle-Grow Organic soil with native soil (the soil in your yard), plant, water well and cover the area with mulch. This soil is not meant for container gardening.

I read that as a warning that they know their soil mix has too many nutes in it. By mixing it with native soil, you are diluting the nute load. By telling you not to use it in containers says it has too many nutes and will burn the crap out of whatever you put in that pot. Just pass on anything MG and things will be better.

420benny said:
I read that as a warning that they know their soil mix has too many nutes in it. By mixing it with native soil, you are diluting the nute load. By telling you not to use it in containers says it has too many nutes and will burn the crap out of whatever you put in that pot. Just pass on anything MG and things will be better.

Thanks Benny, Yea me too......After I already had her in the ground with it....thats when I did my little tantrum dance and sang my obscene, profane song:doh:
You really do need to do some research....at the very least, read the darn back of the product your buying,lol.
Again though, Does anybody know if bottled water is ok to mist your plants leaves with at night?
Also, what is some good outdoor soil?

oh well IMO.. ive used it many many times and got great yeilds that taste completely normal.. its all in what KIND you get

superballs said:
Thanks Benny, Yea me too......After I already had her in the ground with it....thats when I did my little tantrum dance and sang my obscene, profane song:doh:
You really do need to do some research....at the very least, read the darn back of the product your buying,lol.
Again though, Does anybody know if bottled water is ok to mist your plants leaves with at night?
Also, what is some good outdoor soil?

I use Roots Aurora brand soil. They ship all over. Check it out. I misted all my plants with a weak milk and water fine spray last night and 2 hours later, they were happier than anytime lately. No burning of leaves either. I am under t5s. Big oscillating fan on 24/7 dries the leaves fairly quickly.

Latest posts

Back