Ballast problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budders Keeper

Reaction score
Sun System 1

1000hps

Running on 240v

Went to check out plants when light was supposed to come on, but it didn't.
After switching bulbs, flipping breaker, and plugging direct(no timer)... all I get is the initial noise it makes when it turns on, but no light.

Gotta be the ballast, right? Wish I had one to swap in and I would know.

Unless it is a lose wire somewhere, it is the ballast. Magnetic ballasts have replaceable components.

Just the lady I was looking for! Thanks THG. Gonna have it tested today.

Back in action. It was the ballast. Haven't learned how to dig in to one of those yet but Hydrostoreguy had it working in about 15minutes in between customers. Replaced a silver sort of cylindrical thing a little smaller than an eyeglass case. When I asked about price he replied "I'll take of it". That's why these guys get my biZ.

So a bought me an Ushio bulb and off I went.

Sounds like your capacitor was bad and your hydroguy replaced it. There are only 2 components in a mag ballast halide light (ballast and capacitor), and 3 components in a sodium light (ballast, capacitor, and ignitor). Glad its fixed for you.

Old_SSSC_Guy said:
Sounds like your capacitor was bad and your hydroguy replaced it. There are only 2 components in a mag ballast halide light (ballast and capacitor), and 3 components in a sodium light (ballast, capacitor, and ignitor). Glad its fixed for you.
Thanks SSSC. Always wondered what was inside of there. I guess next time I know the symptoms for the capacitor are, and what it looks like, maybe then I'll give it a go. Good info.

FWIW, its kinda easy to tell when its the capacitor. It will be "bulged" and look like its silver can is about to explode. Like a frozen car of beer. The ballast itself will often not look much different unless its metal windings are fried black or shows where electricity has arced and made black spots. For HPS, I don't remember an easy way to check an igniter except for just replacing it.

Awesome! Definately have some confidence to go in next time. Now that I've learned something already today, I can go back to bed. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back