~ballasts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redeye88

Reaction score
ok so im getting ready to start buying all the material to set this room up. A 400w HPS bulb since were only doing 4 or less plants at a time.

I was just curious, whats the deal with a ballast? Where can i get one for a 400w hps without having to order online, and when i do get it, what the hell do i do with it??

does it directly hook into the bulb or something?

can someone please inform me on more information regarding a ballast in a grow room?

We just answered your ?'s in your other post. Your plants don't stand a chance unless YOU START RESEARCHING!!!!!!!!!!! Look at online ballast systems and just by the pictures I would hope you can figure out how they work. Order the damn thing online. Order the whole set up. A ballast regulates the amount of electricity that flows to your lamp(bulb) from your outlet. You need it and yes it will be located in your grow room unless you have a 100ft cord going from it to your reflector.

lol, i did alot of research online, there are many pictures and no, I have no idea still how the **** works

There are 3 parts to a HID (high intensity discharge) lights. Thats why when you look to buy them, you can buy all the pieces, or together as a system. There is the actual bulb, the reflector//lamp holder (the thing the bulb screw into) and the ballast (the electrical regulator). Think of your computer monitor (my monitor atleast), or laptop charger.. there is a plug that goes to your outlet and connects to a box (the ballast) there is another cord connected to the ballast that plugs into your reflector (or laptop). Your reflector will come prewired with a mongul socket which your light will screw into. Make sure your ballast wattage matches your lamp wattage. This is pretty much, in my opinion, as basic as a HID system can be explained. Check out htgsupply.com, they have very cheap systems, plug-and-play ;) goodluck

I was worried about buying online, and figured what the hey, I'll just grow tomatoes ....
anyhow, I picked up a 400w switchable/convertable ballast ( mh/hps with the flick of a switch ) on ebay new in the box, for $ 80.00us(83.00 shipped) , a matching cord from the same dealer for $20.00( matching plug to ballast,less the socket), and a socket for $20.00
total = 120.00,

I built a hood using sheet aluminum (30' roll 3' wide) left over from a building project. which I built a fan into(3 hours time), and will have glass cut (5.00$) to fit.

all said and done, if you have the time to reserch, you can get great deals.

now i need to build the curage to buy seeds online!!!

cannaman said:
I built a hood using sheet aluminum (30' roll 3' wide) left over from a building project. which I built a fan into(3 hours time), and will have glass cut (5.00$) to fit.

You are going to want to get tempered glass in your reflector, not just regular glass that you can get for $5.

The Hemp Goddess said:
You are going to want to get tempered glass in your reflector, not just regular glass that you can get for $5.
Why would you need tempered glass THG?

Heat doesn't make any difference as far as glass goes.

Because it gets hot and the chance of breakage is great. All MH lights have tempered glass and most of the HPS do. I would never put a light in my room without tempered glass in it. Just my .02

Safety first. Thanks HG.

BBFan said:
Heat doesn't make any difference as far as glass goes.
most certainly, absolutely does.. speaking from first hand experience..
I tried un-tempered glass in my first home made cooled reflector. It wasn't 12 hours before it shattered and fell. 1k mh in a 30" circular reflector.. it woulda' been ugly, had I had plants in there/their/they're.. :p

i know a glass comp that cuts glass for wood stoves.... about $5.oo for the glass i need.

Latest posts

Back