Basic soil nutrient questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warfish

Random title
Reaction score
I have recently had to switch my grow to soil and to be honest I have no idea on how to do the nutrient schedule on soil :confused: . The nutrients I have on hand are Maxigrow and Maxibloom. I imagine I mix the nutrients at a desired PPM and PH just as with hydro, but then my big question is how much of this nutrient enriched water do I add to each 5 gallon pot? Sorry for the totally basic question I just fear burning my plants, sigh. Any and all tips on this matter are greatly appreciated :)

Thank you all,
Warfish

I don't know the line. But if there is no schedule, start at low strength and work your way up. Use a buffer, hort lime. How much per 5gal depends in npk #'s. I guess if you had success in hydro with what you were doing, follow that route.

nouvellechef,
I have a planned out schedule on the PPM I desire for my nutrients on each weeks feeding, it is just that I dont know how much of the water to add. Do I just do a regular watering with the nutrient enriched water? I have been adding about 1 gallon of water to each 5 gallon bucket for regular watering, letting it dry well between.

Yep, feed as you have been doing. You got your ppm schedule down. If it's all the same strain, you are going to save yourself alot of heartache, unless you only have a few plants. I was doing 1/2gal every 3 days in 3gal pots. Hort lime once in veg and twice in flower.

I hope this will help. When I water or feed. I like to get back about 2 quarts of liquid out the bottom. According to how mature the plant is will determine the amount they will retain. Make sure to have lots of drainage. for example, my vegging plants that have been vegging five weeks and are approximately 18 inches tall will need 1.5 gals. as my larger plants in flower at 6 weeks and are 42 inches tall are taking 2.5 gals. I get the 2 quarts back in each case. as the other gentleman said, start slow and easy and build up to what they need just the same as with hydro. I hope this has helped you. Grow em big and grow em green..... Chow

Thank you nouvelle and Macho :) Great info from you both for me! :D I was probably going to be posting on another day asking how much runoff I should be getting, but Macho took care of that question before I even asked :)

I do a gallon every 5 days or so, that allows for about a 10% runoff, I feed one week, water the next. These are in % gallon trash cans, but the bottom gallon probably is lava rock, so I prob, really only have about 3 1/2 - 4 gall of soil.

One thing to remember warfish when working with soil, if your soil is dry run a little ph'd water in the soil before you fertilize. You don't need to water it to the point it runs out the bottom, you just don't want the roots dry before you put your fert through. On the back of your fert bottles should state measurements to use in soil; at first I would do about half or less of what they call for and see how your plant responds. In soil it can take up to a week to notice any issues you may be having after fertilizing.

Macho Man said:
I hope this will help. When I water or feed. I like to get back about 2 quarts of liquid out the bottom. According to how mature the plant is will determine the amount they will retain. Make sure to have lots of drainage. for example, my vegging plants that have been vegging five weeks and are approximately 18 inches tall will need 1.5 gals. as my larger plants in flower at 6 weeks and are 42 inches tall are taking 2.5 gals. I get the 2 quarts back in each case. as the other gentleman said, start slow and easy and build up to what they need just the same as with hydro. I hope this has helped you. Grow em big and grow em green..... Chow

I gotta say Thank You for your inlightenment on size of the plant and how much water you use. What size pots are these plants in however, I usually water until water begins out of the bottom and makes sure the entire pot of soil gets saturated. I rather make more fert water or get more water than to make too much. :cool:

Wow. Blast from the past. Even LF is in this thread. Hell, forgot about GSS too. Then I see he just logged in couple weeks ago! Speak up!

Latest posts

Back