BIG pots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medman

Reaction score
I've been a hydro grower for years now and have recently decided to switch things up a little. My room's got a 1k hps and two 250's, hoping to trade those up to another 1k soon. And I convinced myself to give a soil-like medium a try.

Since I cut the number of plants down drastically I wanted to go big. So got me 6 25 gal smart pots, basically a big felt bag that supposedly lets the roots breathe preventing spiraling. Filled em with Roots Organics Formula 707, six dif strains, and have been topping and sc'n as much as I feel safe doing. Things are going great! Got a question though.

Being a hydro guy I'm a little unsure on my watering schedule. Judging by weight is tough cuz these girls are heavy either way. So I've been digging down and waiting till I find 5-6 inches bone dry, which is about 7 days. I'm just unsure of myself and want to make sure I ain't stressing the girls too much.

Other than that I wanted to say this is a great site with an exceptional group of member. Also if your curious about my strains I'm not too sure about the names but I got them on trade at a cannibis cup competion. Northern Lights x Blueberry, ReCON, Kory Kush, Drambula, Bubbleberry, and LGS (my long time friend).

How Big are your plants?
How old?
You should plant young plants in smaller pots and replant them into bigger pots as they grow...
That helps control the watering...
7 days water cycle sounds good though... If the leafs aren't showing signs of trouble you shouldn't be woried!
Good job :D
Post some pics!

They are about 2 months old. Started as clones in 1" cubes, moved to 4" then 6", finally into these 25 gal bags. Some leaves are devoloping brown spots, nothing serious, adding cal-mag to see if that helps. Just got another 1000 watt. Pics will follow.

A moisture meter ($7.00 or so) will tell you how moist the soil down to 7" deep. The tip of a moisture meter should be scoured with a scouring pad prior to using in order to ensure accuracy. I test mine by placing it in a cup of water. If it reads 100% wet, then I know it's working.

I would only give enough water to last about a week or so. Three or four quarts of water, for example. I would gradually give more water as the roots grow and the plants use more.

Thanks I'll pick one up next time I'm at the local shop. Kinda suprized they didn't recommend one, they know I know nothing when it comes to soil grows. Thanks again. I'll prb be starting a thread in the journal section after I get some pics goin.

Latest posts

Back