Bitin' the bullet....gettin my first ph meter....which one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7greeneyes

MedicalNLovingIt!
Reaction score
And what do I need? Make sure I got my bases covered...

Ph calibration liquid 7.0 and 4.0, right?

Do i need a storage liquid or can I just use tap/distilled water to store the pen when not in use?

And most important. What's the most cost effective ph meter to get?i.e. brand, model....what have you...

And the best place to order online?

Thanks for sharin' yer thoughts and whatnots...

:peace:,

7ge:)

I just use those dipable strips yual get from quarium stores that read it all but thats just me be bout 14 bucks to test the season well and canoe trip to gettem ;)

BWD

This is the one I have>>>>http://www.eseasongear.com/mismphmosms1.html

I went through a couple of pens before i said screw it, I am getting one that you can just change the probe out when it goes. I have had the same probe for over a year and it still works great.

Be sure to store your ph meters probe in 4.0 calibration solution, if you do not the meter will not last very long plus may not be accurate for long.

novellchef, went back to using FF Tiger Bloom and it needs to be ph'd, so...

tryguy2011 said:
Be sure to store your ph meters probe in 4.0 calibration solution, if you do not the meter will not last very long plus may not be accurate for long.

I have been storing mine in plain tap water and this one is going on over a year and works great. Pretty sure keeping the bulb moist is the main objective. Jmo

right on right on, most def keep that in mind

thanks Hammy and friends...

I have a couple pens, but this is the one I'm going to be investing in. Not just for PH, so it's extremely helpful for hydro applications.

hxxp://amazon.com/Continuous-pH-TDS-Temperature-Monitor/dp/B005PQCAXE/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1365009779&sr=8-10&keywords=hanna+ph+ec

Have some pens, but I think the drops and vial method is quite decent and always "on" :D

Yeah, I use the drops as well but there's a .5 disparity apparently with those tests, that's why I was curious about finding the "real" ph first by using a pen or what have you...

If your gonna spend the money. I would go with a nutra drip or guardian(more $). When you constantly grow and need water. It's sooooo much easier to maintain PH in a large, say 32gal garbage can and be able to monitor it at a glance. The water is always ready to use.

I've got the Guardian by Blue Lab. I love it, but it ain't cheap.

I have the oakton eco tester ph1 waterproof pen. I purchased a hanna at first, and it wasnt waterproof. while being really stoned one night mixing nutes and checkin ph i dropped it in the nute solution and toasted it. my oakton was 60 dollars and I love it. I only use 7.0 cal solution and store it in it as well.

thanks highbrix, thanks for sharin how you store it. thats def good to know...

Im thinking of getting one to test ph and ppm and like the suggestions. I grow in soil how do you use these to test soil?

these will not test soil ph, however most of us here just pay attention to the ph of the runoff water to judge the soils ph.

Last Straw said:
Hey hey 7greeneyes...

wanted to say that I have the Oakton Ph tester 2 and I am very satisfied with it.

Accidentally through my 1st one on the floor when trying to 'flick' the water droplets off from the tip....that was an 80.00 mistake.....but bought the exact same eco tester 2 because I like it so much.

peace ~

I have the same one....... like it.

Latest posts

Back