Brown leaves help please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ataraxia

Organic Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently transplanted a two week old plant from a peat/pearlit mixture into a hydro DWC setup. The DWC consists of a 6'' net pot filled with hydroton. The water has a dilute mixture of Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Grow 3-1.5-4. I tested the water with my new PPM meter and it read ~180. PH of the water is unknown (PH meter is on order) I'm using distilled water. The lights the plant is under are CFL's, 6500k, total lumens: 8000. All the lights are 3-4" away from the plant, and I don't think "light burn" is the culprit. Grow Area 2'x2'x5' (LxWxH) Temps range from 80-90, and humidity is around 20-30% After the transplant, I noticed that just two leaves were getting this brown stuff on them. I figured it was just a bit of the soil from when I washed off the roots to transplant. I misted the leaves and tried to gently rub off the brown stuff, but it didn't come off, so I left them. The leaves now look sick, and the brown areas have gotten more pronounced. What I think is interesting is that it's only on these two leaves. The rest of the plant looks a little stressed, but I'd be angry too if I got uprooted from my home and put into another one.

Is there anything I can do to help this plant along?
What might be causing this?
Would cutting off the effected leaves help or hurt the plant?

Any input or suggestions is highly appreciated.

If you need any more information on my setup feel free to ask.

(Edit) This plant was started from bagseed, it's about 2.5 weeks old, about 2.5'' tall, and on 24/0 light cycle. THe grow area is enclosed, and there is a 4'' "high velocity" fan for inlet at the bottom, and a 9'' fan for outlet at the top.

IMG_0999.JPG

IMG_1000.JPG

IMG_1001.JPG

IMG_1003.JPG

IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_1023.JPG

IMG_0998.JPG

Nobody knows what's wrong? Is this a very uncommon problem?????

Well i know nothing about hydro but that looks like somekind of burn.

Sounds like you need that ph meter. It's essential for hydro. I'd guess your problems are ph related. Leaves look burned.

When's the ph meter arriving ?

Ataraxia said:
Nobody knows what's wrong? Is this a very uncommon problem?????
Hey Ataraxia, I believe you've got some pretty bad nute burn going there.

I never give nutes to plants that young and small. None at all.

I wait until the plant is about 4" tall and then I use 1/8th of the manufacturers suggested dose per/gallon.

Never mix your nutes in your primary reservoir. Always use a one or two gallon jug and mix your nutes in there and then add it to your reservoir as needed.

Buy yourself a measuring beaker that holds only 50ml. Use that to measure your nutes. Precise measuring is ABSOLUTELY necessary when measuring concentrated nutrients.

I order my beakers from "Cole-Parmer".

Here's a link to the type I use:

50ml beaker

$10 , how can you go wrong? Order two. They are plastic and you may break one. This piece of equipment is mandatory for proper mixing.

Thanks Stoney Bud, I changed my reservoir water, and now it's just straight distilled water, no nutes. I hope the plant can recover. I was measuring using a teaspoon, and using only 1/2 strength nutes. I'll hold off until my plant is 4'' and then introduce nutes like you suggested. Hopefully this fixes the problem. I also ordered the 50mL beaker, and I think I might be able to liberate any additional measuring devices I need from the chemistry department at my school.

Thanks everybody for your input

Ataraxia said:
Thanks Stoney Bud, I changed my reservoir water, and now it's just straight distilled water, no nutes. I hope the plant can recover. I was measuring using a teaspoon, and using only 1/2 strength nutes. I'll hold off until my plant is 4'' and then introduce nutes like you suggested. Hopefully this fixes the problem. I also ordered the 50mL beaker, and I think I might be able to liberate any additional measuring devices I need from the chemistry department at my school.

Thanks everybody for your input

Good to hear that you've stopped the nutes. Heck, I would leave your schools property where it belongs and just get your own at the same place the beaker comes from.

Today's nutes are so concentrated that using a teaspoon is very approximate. I have three different sizes of teaspoons in my kitchen drawer right now. When you add the differences in multiples, it can become a large enough difference to kill a plant.

My scale is the only other fancy thing I use. I can't recommend the brand I use because it's a battery draining piece of junk. After use, I have to take the battery out. Other than that, it works great. I won't post their name and disgrace them either.

I'll think again before I buy another Pelouze PE5.:p

Yeah, I guess ten bucks isn't really that much, I can swing it. Here's some updated pics, taken today, which show less brown on the leaves, but a very yellow color and undercurled leaves. The only thing that has changed since the previous pictures is time. The pictures below were taken before I changed out the water. Maybe it's the same nute burn problem, but I thought I'd post the pictures to be sure. The new growth looks okay, besides that it's all curled under.

IMG_1209.JPG

IMG_1210.JPG

Stoney Bud said:
My scale is the only other fancy thing I use.......

Stoney, do you any other fancy equiptment such as a PH meter or TDS meter?

Ataraxia said:
Stoney, do you any other fancy equipment such as a PH meter or TDS meter?
No, I don't use meters. They didn't exist when I learned how to grow weed, and after doing it for so many years, I find that I just don't need them. I watch my plants closely and adjust what is necessary when I see a problem.

If your new growth looks normal, then your plant will be ok. Watch it closely. The damaged leaves will not heal. Just let them die normally if they do. Watch the new growth.

Here's pictures from today. I may be a tad optimistic, but I think what I see is improvement. Also, is it normal for the leaves to grow all out of the same spot like that. I mean it seems like a lot of leaves are growing and not much stem is growing vertically. If this is a silly question, sorry, this is the first MJ plant I've grown. Maybe it's due to the high portion of blue light the plant is getting.

IMG_1276.JPG

IMG_1275.JPG

IMG_1278.JPG

Latest posts

Back