Bud Production

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tester

Amsterdam
Reaction score
Just a quick question Would shaded fan leaves affect Bud production? or are they technically still receiving light? They are not in total darkness but they are pretty shaded towards the bottom half of some of the plants

fan leaves provide buds with food. if the plant is gettin enough light it should give you good buds, if you still not in flowering and your lights are not enough to flower your big plants you can add light or trim shaded areas, if your in flowering you need to add light if yours is not enough. the lower buds will be less dense than top bud but if the light is sufficient llower bud will be big enough. more info neweded, how many watts? what light? how many plants? sq.ft? what stage of growth your plants at??

2x 400 watt cool tubes 2.5 x 1.5 area 26 plants 5 days in to 12/12 you can see by the pic in my first grow what i mean by them being shaded

well,.. you got plenty of light but 25 plants in a 2.5x1.5 ??? sounds a little crowded... you talkin' feet or meters ?

dude you're talkin in meters your area is like 41 squred feet this requires 2000 watts to flower them. the plants alone are takin up all this space? if so you need more light, if not possible you'll need to trim most lower leaves leave the top cola and get the plants closer together and your lights closer to them, your 800watt can cover roughly 16squared feet that is like 1mx1.5m

2000w seems like over kill in my area seriously i have another 2 x 400 lamps and 1 600w lamp not air cooled but i could put a couple of those in there, i think i would wait for another week before i think about putting more lighting in there

tester said:
2000w would burn the plants out in my area seriously i have another 2 x 400 lamps and 1 600w lamp not air cooled but i could put a couple of those in there, i think i would wait for another week before i think about putting more lighting in there

Lighting should be figured by lumens per sq ft, rather than watts per sq ft. There is a big difference in lumens per watt with different types of lighting.

You are seriously underlit for flowering. You want 5000 lumens per sq ft. A 400W will put out about 50000 lumens, so you are running at less than 1/2 the lumens you need. I would get at least 2 more 400W in there since you have them.

your plants are not small i'd say get the 600 and both 400's plants need much more light in flowering, you could go through vegging with a 400 but take the advise add lights put em closer or else you'll end up with stems and pistils, get the lights closer to plants like 10" away check under if its too hot move abit farther, we r only tryin to help you, good luck :)

It may seem like overkill to you....but it is the truth, listen to these folks.

legalize_freedom said:
It may seem like overkill to you....but it is the truth, listen to these folks.

LOL--5000 lumens per sq ft is not overkill--it is the minimum ;)

The Hemp Goddess said:
LOL--5000 lumens per sq ft is not overkill--it is the minimum ;)

I know this THG. Earlier in the post Tester had said that all that light seemed like overkill, evidently he or she edited their post...I know what it takes to flower a room.

Just a heads up, lumens mean nothing to plants because a lumen is a measurement of in refrence to the human eye. PAR (photosyntheticaly active radiation) is what you should worry about. Google par vs lumens to read up on the subject if you so wish.

Lumens and Watts are completely meaningless unless you are talking about PAR watts.

5000 lumens p/sq,ft. of "HID" provide sufficient PAR watts to grow quality buds. I believe THAT is the real issue. As far as I know, none of the bulbs show or list PAR.

Hick said:
5000 lumens p/sq,ft. of "HID" provide sufficient PAR watts to grow quality buds. I believe THAT is the real issue. As far as I know, none of the bulbs show or list PAR.

:yeahthat: and every indoor book written explains indoor lighting using lumens, so why do we need to learn a whole new system of PAR, even a book I have that is entirely devoted to only lighting discusses the information in lumens.

another addition to my question does height count towards area covered by light lumens? and the lights are HID not sure if that matters but just a fact i feel i failed to mention

Height = distance. There is a lot of garbage spoken about this.
The "inverse square law" only applies to a point source of light that is spreading out in the form of a sphere, i.e. in free space.
When you use a reflector you concentrate the light into a beam with a pattern.
Assuming for instance you used a parabolic reflector like a satellite dish you could place the light source at the focal point and then all the rays of light coming from the reflector would be parallel and not subject to the inverse square law because quite simply they are not spreading out. Photons don't get weaker with distance! They either ARE or ARE NOT there...

The only meaningful calculation is to compute the lamp output / total illuminated area. This of course is complicated in grow rooms because of 'spilt' light that doesn't directly hit the leaves but is (hopefully) reflected back from reflective surrounding surfaces . . .
This whole thing is one of the reasons why CFLs get a bad name because a large number of growers seem to believe that simply hanging CFLs above their grow will be a great idea, but for some reason they don't imagine that reflectors are necessary. . . and yet they use a reflector for their HID lamp!

tester said:
Just a quick question Would shaded fan leaves affect Bud production? or are they technically still receiving light? They are not in total darkness but they are pretty shaded towards the bottom half of some of the plants

you can also read this thread....lots of information there

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50687

seems this topic has been beaten to death lol

leafminer said:
Height = distance. There is a lot of garbage spoken about this.
The "inverse square law" only applies to a point source of light that is spreading out in the form of a sphere, i.e. in free space.
When you use a reflector you concentrate the light into a beam with a pattern.
Assuming for instance you used a parabolic reflector like a satellite dish you could place the light source at the focal point and then all the rays of light coming from the reflector would be parallel and not subject to the inverse square law because quite simply they are not spreading out. Photons don't get weaker with distance! They either ARE or ARE NOT there...

The only meaningful calculation is to compute the lamp output / total illuminated area. This of course is complicated in grow rooms because of 'spilt' light that doesn't directly hit the leaves but is (hopefully) reflected back from reflective surrounding surfaces . . .
This whole thing is one of the reasons why CFLs get a bad name because a large number of growers seem to believe that simply hanging CFLs above their grow will be a great idea, but for some reason they don't imagine that reflectors are necessary. . . and yet they use a reflector for their HID lamp!

ok, so now your telling me i need to know physics?! damnit, i thought i was done with that! lol :D :D

that thread is a little different to this one seeing as people have said that i do not have enough lighting to even start the flowering process

Latest posts

Back