Bugs in soil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifsixwasnin9

Reaction score
I have a few small bugs (light grey, fast, shaped like rice grain) in soil of 10 day old plants. From what I've read they might be mealy bugs. I think they killed two seedlings that I germinated. And I think they rise to top of soil when water is added. (Using Blackgold potting soil: sphagnum peat moss, aged bark, composted manure, composted shellfish.)

I read in a post that fungus gnat killer (powdered) or tobacco juice or nematodes can kill them. I have some soil conditioner which contains worm castings (which contains nematodes) so I might replant them in that soil. Any other ideas? Also read that diluted dishwash soap might kill them? What is the pH of tobacco juice? (I can make some of that with some chewing tobacco maybe.) (http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63904&highlight=bugs)

Doiotose Earth (sp)

do they look like this?

imagesCAJAZU2F.jpg

No, they are shorter with many legs, medium grey, very quick, size of an ant.

Does it look like this?

This is a sow bug

0e1ba3.jpg

thats even uglier Duck....Im sure I dont get yucky bugs...Had crabs once:p

Yes, I think that's it. What do I do to get rid of them? I think they might have come in the bag of soil. It ate a couple of my seedlings pretty fast.

Edit: Also called "woodlouse". I researched and found two ways of getting rid of them: "diatomaceous earth" and "buy the cheapest beer possible and put it in shallow plastic containers pushed into the soil until they are ground level. The bugs and slugs are attracted to the beer (and like most good old boys), fall in and drown. You will be surprised how many dead bugs you can get in one night."

Latest posts

Back