Bulb temps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seattle Bong Ripper

Joint Rolling Machine
Reaction score
It is getting cold here, its starting to frost, and i just had an idea:

it is freezing(or close to freezing) outside, and i intake that air through my cool tube, presumably making the bulb very cold. that is fine when the bulb is on, but what about when it has just turned on?

is it bad for the bulb to be that cold before it is turned on? i dont want to risk the glass shattering due to an instant rise in temps, ya know?

thanks

Its fine. HID parts are made to run street lights and parking lot lights. You can bury them in snow and they will still fire and run fine.

cool, thanks.

i was just worried because i had a flashback to science class where my teacher told us not to put the beaker into the cooler full of ice because it would shatter the glass.

but thanks for the advice

In both cases, it is the speed that something expands or contracts that makes it shatter. The bulb heats up slow enough that the (space between the) molecules can expand without breaking. It is the rapid cooling of the hot beaker caused by the ice that makes the glass break.

Latest posts

Back