Can anyone identify these spots on my leaves?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use nitric acid for lowering ph in veg and phosphoric acid for lowering ph in flower. For raising I use ph up but I don't use it much and don't know what it is. I have used vinegar to lower and baking soda to raise when I have run out of the good stuff.

Thanks. I have been reading up on it and trying to learn. I am not really into organic but I like to keep it as natural as I can. I have been reading bad things about the PH up and down that you buy. Apple cider vinegar seems to be good for everything. LOL

I'll keep an eye on it and stick with the Spring Water for now. After I transplant into bigger buckets, I'll need to find a permanent solution.

Thanks again

I got some General Hydroponics PH Down at the local store. It was the only brand they had.

First, I checked the water. 8.0. Then, I added the nutes and checked...7.9. Then I added a tiny bit of PH down from a syringe. Boom!!!! 6.0. LOL Doesn't take much. LOL

So, I mixed and mixed and came up with a nice 6.8 mix of nutes, water and ph down.

I will try this for a while and see what happens. I am still getting a lot of yellowing on one plant. Oddly enough, under the same conditions, the other plant is nice and green (mostly).

These pics are not very clear. I'll get some better ones.

View attachment IP Camera-20.28.52.jpg

View attachment IP Camera-20.29.10.jpg

The pictures on ebay for the ph up and down is what i been useing for 3 years its great but it's cheaper eles where at discount hydroponics they have it in kits and i beleave its a little bit cheaper that reminds me i got to re up to try discount youll be surprized at all the stuff they got everything you could think of and if they dont just call them and ask for a catalog its free and youll have everything on hand. 888

Yeah I agree with Skullcandy, it appears the pH is coming in line but there is what looks like some magnesium deficiency there with the lighter color around the margins of the fan leaves. Technafflora makes a good Calmag additive that I have used ffor years with solid results, but iff you would rather stay more "natural" then powdered Dolomite lime would be the next thing. I would say use 2 Tbsp. of lime sprinkled around the edges of the leaf canopy and then gently rake it into the soil then water it in.

Iff you use the lime then you will need to lower the pH of your solutions to 6.3-6.5 as the lime will buffer it up a little to around the 6.7 mark. you will most likely find that if the magnesium addition solves this issue, that you will need to periodically add in more as time goes. When I use the calmag additive in my coco, I have to use a small amount at every feeding throughout, but in more natural soils you wouldn't have to use it as much, maybe once every other feeding or every other week. :)

I just don't know what to do. These plants are simply not happy. Lots of yellowing. Loosing bottom leaves. Not pretty.

Soil is a mix of 50% Garden Magic Soil (peat and sand, no nutes) and 25% verm and 25% perlite.

Water is PH7 on the nose. I do 1/2 dose of Fox farm Grow Big Soil once a week. And, still I see tip burn (maybe it's left over. I'll have to look at the previous pics).

Temp stays a perfect 75F to 80F and the humidity is 50% to 55%.

400W Metal Halide on 24/7

Cal-Mag is about the only thing left. Everything else is in line.

The strain is Critical Kush. It's a cross between Critical Mass and OG Kush. They seem to use this OG Kush for a ton of strains so I imagine it's pretty solid and strong.

I just can't figure what I am doing wrong.

View attachment droop-1.jpg

View attachment droop-2.jpg

View attachment droop-3.jpg

View attachment droop-4.jpg

Hackerman is grow big all you are feeding it?

Yes. I use a drop of PH down and plain water.

Once a week FF x 1/2

I did use too much fertilizer earlier which may have a little buildup left.

Hackerman what i would suggest is flush plants with a mild ph'd nutrient solution of 6.8 keep flushing 3 - 4 times soil volume till you get a constant ph of 6.8 start there and wait a week dont worry about the leafs look at the new growth do not make sudden changes from everyone answers on here your only going to compound the problem and start chasing its not going to fix itself over night most new growth from all the plants i ever grown is of lighter green that is normal depending on the age of your plant do not give it full strength nutes but give it half or less read the label and recommended dosage if you see no change may be think of a transplant next then once you know its not ph , its not soil or root issues you start realizing that its a nutrient issue then you can go from there my thought tho good luck it does not look to bad seen allot worse

I only ask because I looked at their schedule and it says, at 3 weeks veg, 3 teaspoons per gal Grow big and 6 teaspoons of Big bloom along with 2 teaspoons per gal Tiger bloom twice a week. I may be wrong but when my plants start to look like that I feed stronger nutes. The burnt tip could be a deficiency. So maybe you're not getting enough from the 1/2 dose of Grow big once a week. What do you think? Just to add ph to 6.5 after adding nutes.

LOL... 2 opposite answers.

I need to think about this a little. LOL I'm on my way to dog training right now (I train dogs on Tuesday nights) so I'll think about this when I return.

Ding ding ding.... we have a winner.

They were starving, not stuffed.

I started with Cal-Mag and in a few days they started greening up. I used a full dose of Fox Farms Grow Big yesterday and another Cal-Mag today (can I use the Cal-Mag every day?)

They look better than they ever have. I still have some yellowing on the new growth but it is getting greener every day.

Thanks again, everyone.

View attachment seedlings070714-1.jpg

View attachment seedlings070714-2.jpg

View attachment seedlings070714-3.jpg

Alright man :yay: How much cal/mag you use depends on what kind and how much you are giving them. Iff you are using a liquid additive then I would say to add 3-4ml per gallon of water each time you water and/or feed. And continue to do that until you get to about week 7 of flowering.

Right on man. How much did you increase the feed by? Nevermind ,I missed it in your post.

I am using the Cal Mag Plus in the picture. The label calls for 3-5ml per gallon. I am using about 4.

So, if I understand correctly, I should do my daily watering with Cal-Mag, pretty much from now on (until week 7 [and I assume you're assuming a 9 week finishing time]). So, until a couple weeks before harvest.

Now, I plan to water with the Fox Farm nutes about every 6 or 7 days for a couple weeks and then twice a week for a few weeks and then more often (if they will take it).

Normally, I would plan to NOT use the Cal-Mag on the days when I use the Fox Farms and use the Cal-Mag on every other watering.

Do you think I should use the Cal-Mag even on the days when I use the Fox Farms nutes? And, if so, can I mix the Cal-Mag and the Fox Farms nutes all together in the same jug before watering?

TIA

View attachment original.jpg

I would say initially, go ahead and use it every time you water, but not when feeding. Its not critical as I use it along with my regular nutrients mixed in the same bucket of water, but given the issues that you have had, I would say just skip it on those days that you feed. In about 3 weeks you can cut back to using it every other watering as it will have built up enough of a reserve that you shouldn't need to keep it that high. Then about week 6-7 (for a 9week flower) you can cut it off as there will be plenty to carry it to harvest, and adding anymore would just be wasting it.

I am still not terribly satisfied with these plants. Some of the leaves are still unhappy and much of the new growth is yellow.

Maybe I'm wrong but, I am looking for that lush green color. Some areas of both plants look nice and others look way too yellow for my liking.

I am using the recommended dose (5ml/g) of Cal-Mag every time I water. I am using the recommended dose of Fox Farms Grow Big about every 6 days. I am going to switch that to every 3 days.

I don't want to create a lock-out or over nute my plants until I get a feel for how much they like to eat but I am going to be taking cuttings from these plants in another 3 weeks and I would like them to be as healthy as possible.

I am hoping that doubling the feeding schedule will make a [positive] noticeable difference.

You can see the yellow variation in some of the leaves that looks like nute deprivation. However, I see what looks like tip burn from over nutes. The yellowing on the new growth would indicate deprivation again so I am going to go with feeding them more.

The plants will be 3 months old in 3 weeks. That's when I plan to take the cuttings for clones. That's not too early is it?

View attachment ck-1.jpg

View attachment ck-2.jpg

View attachment ck-3.jpg

View attachment ck-4.jpg

View attachment ck-5.jpg

They look like they are steadily improving but that yellowing on the upper leaves still says Mag deficiency. How many times have you watered them using the calmag supplement?

I ask because the medium may still be soaking up the larger portion of the calmag that you have put in so far. I would say to double the dose ffor the next couple waterings to give them a little boost then drop back to the 4ml and see iff that fixes them.

They look to be mature enough to take cuttings but I would wait another week to see if the increased supplement greens them up more. Once they are showing better health then you can take cuttings :)

Latest posts

Back