Cardboard box= fire?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
banjobuzz said:
hey peter23, not here to balk at how anyone grows. cause seriously, i've grown, and have seen some crazy ways of growing. i'm now finishing up my 2nd indoor grow of white widow, that was vegged entirely in a cardboard box(5 weeks)...:hubba: ...and, not only did i do it once, but twice, and in the same cardboard box. so if someone says it cannot be done, tell 'em to come on over to banjos ww grow, and have a look see for thierselves. look down pg.1 at my cheesy:hubba: set-up, then head to pg.5 for solid results...

Jeez...Banjo, reread the posts. No one said that it couldn't be done. We just believe that it is an unsafe practice and therefore foolish.

ok folks. to help bring peace of mind to me and all of you.. i have kicked the cardboard box and changed my grow box once again! (!pix in gallery!) ok so its a plastic green box i have it up against the wall vetically so i can get more height. so its about 30 inches tall 17 wide and 15 fifteen deep.. enough for two lowryder plants? anyways its that big and as seen in the pictures i have a 26 watt CFL hanging above the plant and a 60 watt "general purpose, color enhanced, full spectrum A19 light bulb" i know that normal house hold bulbs dont work for growing but it said full spectrum so i thought it might work? idk but i figured it wouldnt hurt. and then i have a small floor fan inside the box moving air around untill i can get more/better fans. theres only one plant in there so i think it should be ok? no?

Thanks,
Pete

i didn't mean to insult you man. I have been known to speak what's on my mind whether people want to hear it or not. No offense meant. But once you've been on a few forums and seen some beginner setups it's easy to assume.

Glad to see you ditched the cardboard box. Now a rubbermaid type container is something more suitable. Sturdier.

While you are here feel free to read the FAQs till ur eyes bleed. A good grow book would do you wonders too. Barnes and Nobles carries alot of diff grow guides. I have mel franks and ed rosenthals book. Even after a few grows it still comes in handy.Best 20$ i ever spent.

Anyways. Have fun in your growing adventures. good luck.Good people here to help you. Even if some of us( i mean me) can be a little harsh. Sometimes people need to get ticked off enough to change something to shut people like me up...... it saves the fire department from coming knocking later.

Mr.Wakenbake said:
it saves the fire department from coming knocking later.
hey does the fire deparment usually knock on the door of a burning building? :p JK Wakenbake the rubbermaid is doing much better and i truly do feel safer leaving it alone longer. Glad to hear your just trying to help and appreciate the words of wisdom! :) Take this my friend :48:

,Pete

If you want some decent dense buds and can afford the hit buy a 150w HPS grow lamp. HPS is the way to go if you want decent buds or else there just going to be very wispy and airy. They dont pack much weight at all. if you still want the cfls because of the cost of the HPS I totally understand I think we all can in these times of high gas costs. Consider keeping your cfl as CLOSE AS POSSIBLE with out touching the buds or leaves. If the leaves burn its ok but its not ok for the buds to burn. The reason is because your cfl's light diminishes a lot so the closer the better. Oh and the 42w cfls are way better for only $10 at Home Depot or Lowes they sell the reflector as well it looks like the ones for a reptile cage just ask they will show you. if its a lowrider strain then im sure you know it flowers on its own and will do fine on 24hrs of continuous light just in case you didnt know. Happy growing

Haha you guessed it right killertea.. http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30191

there are my master mind plans of getting a 150 watt hps with some flouro's but...... i'm concerned about temperature.. but i dont have nearly the amount of equipment i will eventually need.. but its in my small closed closet and i have been thinking for DAYS of a way to get better air and circulation in there. cause the closet isnt exactly the freshest air either.. would a carbon filter work for that?

thanks,
Pete

i bought my first grow book at books-a-million for about 20 bucks. they had alot of different ones and even had every mag. that involes marijuana that they make.. good luck and get us some pics if u can............ also man check out some of my post i have i have used corner of a closet and an old armore and always cfls .. some of my first grows i got about 1 oz per plant and the lowest i got was about a half oz off a 12 in plant .. so check it out and hope it helps

Peter23 said:
Haha you guessed it right killertea.. http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30191

there are my master mind plans of getting a 150 watt hps with some flouro's but...... i'm concerned about temperature.. but i dont have nearly the amount of equipment i will eventually need.. but its in my small closed closet and i have been thinking for DAYS of a way to get better air and circulation in there. cause the closet isnt exactly the freshest air either.. would a carbon filter work for that?

thanks,
Pete

peter mate, you will need an extractor fan to extract heat from your growspace, the carbon filter is to stop the weed smell being extracted out with the heat.

BM

Also known as an exhaust fan. Extractor fans can be quite pricey but if you find a good fan that will blow air into your box it can be modified to extract the hot air from the box with a few simple tools.

Ok step 1 take the fan and turn it around.

Ok your done.

Thanks for checking out my how to for build a cheap extractor fan. lol

/jokes

Ok seriously though the only way to do it is to get some ventilation happening. Cut some holes buy some fans and hook them up. Put one at the top venting hot air out and one at the bottom pulling cool air in, small computer fans would work for a box that small and would keep the temps close to ambient with a light that tiny.

Ok step 1 take the fan and turn it around.

Ok your done.

:hitchair: I made it so hard......sheesh...if I only knew.... Should of posted this awhile ago tater...lol

Sorry, I'll take pictures and write a detailed tutorial when I have time.

(sorry bartmanuk its all in good fun though)

ok guys so i got new ventilation. i have two fans one intake and one exhaust so the temps are much better now.. they arent computer fans and my box looks a little "rigged" but i got two fans hoooked up and 3 bulbs all CFL 23,26,40 watt with 1600,1800,2600 lumens grand total- 89 watts and 6000 lumens.. enough for one or two plants? :)

thanks,
Pete

ALSO!!! i bought a.... FloureX 65 watt replacement bulb.. one of these... http://www.servicelighting.com/catpics/misc/91661.jpg

now do i need one of these...?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41W3c5boicL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

Hey sounds like you got the ventilation down pretty good. you always need an Intake and exhaust to get the old air out and fresh air in with plenty of CO2. Its ok if it looks rigid It will work out fine. Now if your worried about the high temps with the 150HPS you dont need to because now you have fresh cool air coming in from a cooler area I hope and hot air being pulled out. I like to put my fans on a timer so every hour or so they do the work without being on all the time. If the Temps with the HPS are in the 100's then you must run your fans all the time just to keep your temps in the 80's. If you put on a carbon filter to your exhaust fan it will RESTRICT the flow of air being pulled out and the temps may rise just so you know. If its only 2 plants I would not buy one unless you really think you need one. If you want to buy the best product in my opinion instead of using a timer to run your fans every hr. For 50 bucks get a thermostat used for running your exhaust fan. You can find one online at a grow web site and you can set it to 80 deg so when your temps go up it turns on your fan simple. Best thing I ever got.

That picture looks like a flouro light you need an Hps lamp dude I sware you will love your buds after. Its really the only way to go. I grew with cfls for 2 cycles and parted with the cash and im SO glad I did. I should have a long time ago.

Tater said:
And better safe than sorry man cardboard just scream bad idea to me. What if you spill some water and it gets all soggy, or what if there is a short in your bulb and it ignites the cardboard? What if..... well you see what I mean, plywood is cheap and much less prone to igniting than cardboard. If money is an issue then find a place where they are building new homes like a bunch of them just go dumpster raiding nobody cares if you are taking garbage, just stay away from the nice neat piles of wood. Hell if you asked the guys building the places I'm sure they would more than happily let you have their scraps.

Ive used dumpster scraps from job sites to build many a thing around my property. May not be as pretty, but if you seal the inside who really cares. This would give you the luxury of building bigger than those plastic totes would allow.

Everybody does it different and as long as we all get buzzworthy results, the end justifies the means!

Here is the current set up!

ED.jpg

Those are all CFL's does that seem like enough light?

Thanks
,Pete

Peter23 said:
ok guys so i got new ventilation. i have two fans one intake and one exhaust so the temps are much better now.. they arent computer fans and my box looks a little "rigged" but i got two fans hoooked up and 3 bulbs all CFL 23,26,40 watt with 1600,1800,2600 lumens grand total- 89 watts and 6000 lumens.. enough for one or two plants? :)

thanks,
Pete

i think between 3000 and 5000 lumens per square foot is minimum.

BM

5000 per square foot minimum dude but with a 150w cfl your up to I think 15,000 lumens and for your grow that is perfect! I wouldnt buy anymore cfls

you have 4 square feet in your space length times width. if you take a 150w hps and divide that by 4 you get watts per sq foot. cannabis will grow above 30w per sq foot 50 optimal so your at 37 watts per sq foot best way to go dude.

Latest posts

Back