carob molassess for magnesium deficiency

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlesweedmore

Reaction score
hi folks.

my plants are 30. day of vegging and i am pretty sure that 3 of my plants shows mg deficieny.
i grow organic sytle.
i use coco perlite peatmoss worm casts and 2 tbsp dolomite for per gallon.
i use biobizz grow for vegging with piranha,tarantula,voodoo,carboload,sensizyme from advanced nutrients and superthrive.

i cant find calmag,blackstrap molasses or something so the where i live.

i read that some users use molassess for mg deficency.

i could find here " carob molassess " .

please look at the analyze :

mineral Analysis Results (mg / kg)
amount of substance is soluble in water (mg / kg): 68
Sodium (mg / kg): 203
Potassium (mg / kg): 7040
Zinc (mg / kg): 10
Calcium (mg / kg): 1234
Iron (mg / kg): 7.6
Phosphorus (mg / kg): 547
Manganese (mg / kg): 3
Magnesium (mg / kg): 500
Copper (mg / kg): 0.8

PS: 1 kg = 2,205 pound , 1 ml = 0,034 ounce
can i use that molassess instead of epsom salts or calmag ?

there are some other minerals in this mollassess such as Phosphorus,Potassium and sodium. are they harmful for plants ?

and i dont know whether the benefical microbes ( from worm casts,voodoo,piranha and tarantula ) in soil can breaKDOWN this mollassess so that my plants could easily take necessary minerals.
help me please

thanks.

Have you tried Epsom Salt? You can get it at any Walmart or Rite Aid or pharmacy.

I would think cal-mag or epsom salt would be better for mag. def...take care..

Charles-
Why do you think you have a mag deficiency? Sounds like you got a lot of nutes going.
You're already using carboload- if you are sure you're experiencing a mag def, epsom salts might be best.
You may also be experiencing a lockout or problem with uptake.
Check your PH.

So is Faraday really dead or what?

2 tbls of dolomite lime
...should also be providing plenty of mg. I think you maybe barkin' up the wrong tree charles.
IF.. it is an mg defficiency showing, it isn't because it isn't available, but because i isn't getting utilized. I'm not a coco grower, but .."bio bizz AND piranha,tarantula,voodoo,carboload,sensizyme from advanced nutrients and superthrive."
My first impression is that you have waaay too much crap/additives in your mix.

thanks guys for your comments.

i think it is mg deficiency because upper leaves are getting to lose their green color.. they are losing their dark green color.i showed picture of mg deficient leaves and my leaves are similar that.there is color loss problem on upper leaves ,not lower leaves.

and it is not a yellowing problem.leaves arent getting to yellowing,they are losing their dark green color and their color is getting to light green.

is it mg deficency ?

In addition;;

1) if it is mg deficiency,can i use carob molassess ?

2) if it is not mg deficiency and i use carob molasses,would that damage my plants ?

3 ) how much should i use carob molassess ? 1 tbs ( 15 mililiter ) for 1 gallon is ok ?

( 1 tbs = 15 ml )

as to calmag or something so; i dont live in USA and i couldnt easily find things here .
epsom salts,yeah i can find here mg sulphate.but doesnt molassess work for mg deficiency ?

i will stop using carboload when i add mollassess .

i checked soil ph and i think it is about 7.0 . i used aquarium ph test kit and i meause runoff ph.
i have 13 plants and only 3 of them shows that problem.

@BBFan,
i hope he wasnt bro.i love my son but finding the island is always more important than anything else for me .

Chuck, try this link. It came straight from Wikipedia so it must be true--JK.
It has the chemical breakdown of mollasses.
hxxttp://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrientprofile&dbid=85

Charles-

There is absolutely magnesium in the molassess as you listed. How quickly it breaks down into something the plant can uptake is another question.

I would still hesitate to give your plants anything else if you are already hitting them with all the nutes you described.

A few leaves turning lighter green on a few plants could be caused by many things and I wouldn't rush to rectify the problem (if it even is a problem). Doing so could create other problems for you.

The bottom line is that it is a weed and will grow pretty well all by itself. If you have created the right environment with temperature, humidity, air movement/flow, and sufficient lumens, I'm sure your plants will be fine.

If you can post some pics, you'll probably get more precise input on what may be ailing your plants and possible cures for that ailment from some of the experienced growers here.

Once you get back to the island- will you be doing all outdoor grows?

mate i am sure it is absolutely mg deficiency . my leaves is same with that picture.
and what can i do now ?

should i use epsom salt or carob molasess ?

i think molassess is safer than epsom salts,right ?

and dude, the island has unique ability about growing cannabis sativa. harvest time is 2 week from seeds in the island :holysheep:

post-338-1235591931.jpg

IF.. it is an mg defficiency showing, it isn't because it isn't available, but because i isn't getting utilized.
still my opinion..
I think it's a nitrogen defficiency.. you're' nutes are low on "N" ..IMO..
lotsa' other "stuff" but not much "N" for a vegging fert..
but here again, I am not well versed in soiless mediums.. almost a shot in the dark comin' from me..
"7.0" ph..??.. isn't that pretty high for coco?..maybe you're locked ou there.. :confused2:..

Charles I had leaves that looked very similar to the ones on the left on my past few grows, usually later in flower. This time around it happened earlier at around week 2 of flowering while they were still in the stretch. I hit 'em with a 1/4 teaspoon/gallon of epsom salt and the change was almost immediate. All new growth from then on out was a nice dark green with no signs of browning or getting crispy.
I'm not sure what caused my Mg deficiency, but after doing some reading I think I may have been over-feeding with Phosphorus which might have locked out the Mg. Maybe not, but I will say that I noticed a definite improvement since adding the epsom salt, and no it won't kill your girls. Just go light. Good luck. :farm:

BTW- I use blackstrap molasses pretty regularly in my soil grows and still had the Mg deficiency.

thank you guys.

@ hick;

i dont grow in pure coco.

my medium : 30% coco,30% peatmoss,20% perlite,20% worm casting and 2 tbs dolomite for per gallon.

i use bio bizz organic nutes and it has 8 - 2 - 6 NPK .

i read ph is ok between 6 and 7 in organic growing.

@Dr. Manny Bowles

where did your problem beginfrom ? from new growth or lower leaves ?

i read that mg deficeny begins from lower leaves .but my problem is on the new growth,upper leaves.

and 1 / 4 tsp for 1 gallon ?isnt it too small ? i read 1 tsp for 1 litre for foilar feeding and 1 tbs for a gallon.

and regarding mollassess,how much do you use it ?

pH could be the problem. Coco coir is a hydroponic medium. Try for a pH of 5.8-6.0.

Also too much calcium can lock out magnesium. That's alot of lime, imo.

Your Ph should be anywhere from 6.2-6.5(I use a similiar soilless/coco mix). A Ph problem can cause a deficiency. Drop your Ph to 6.5 and you should see an improvement. Remember, more is not better when it comes to nutes. With all of the lime you have you should be fine on calcium and mag which leads me to believe you're Ph is off as Hick mentioned. Just give her str8 water at a Ph of6.5 for the next couple waterings:).

charlesweedmore said:
@Dr. Manny Bowles

where did your problem beginfrom ? from new growth or lower leaves ?

i read that mg deficeny begins from lower leaves .but my problem is on the new growth,upper leaves.

and 1 / 4 tsp for 1 gallon ?isnt it too small ? i read 1 tsp for 1 litre for foilar feeding and 1 tbs for a gallon.

and regarding mollassess,how much do you use it ?

Mine always starts at the bottom, but I have seen it up top, usually later on.
On the epsom salt, I too read anywhere from 1/4 tsp to 1 TBS per gallon. I chose to go light as I didnt want to over-do it and I added it to my mix when I was watering. It was the first and only time I've used it and it seems to have made a huge difference.
On the molasses, I have been giving them about a tablespoon/4 gallon bucket with food every other feeding. Since I got a TDS meter about a week ago and measured my run-off, I will be cutting way back on food and probably feeding the molasses in-between feedings with just plain water.

IMO....you have plenty of mg in the mix. It isn't getting used. adding more mg will not "fix" the problem, if your environment/conditions are nor allowing it to be utilized.
Foliar feeding "may" alleviate the 'symptoms' temporarily[/u], but it won't fix it.

@Hick,

i will try foilaR feeding with epsom salts and if it fix it,we can be sure i have mg deficiency and then i will try to find it is lock out or deficiency.

if foilar spraying dont fix,i will be sure i have not got a mg deficiency.

@trav_420 and @bombbudpuffa

ph is about 7.i measured it now. it is something between 6-7 but closer to 7.
how can i drop ph to 6,5 without using ph down ?

@Dr. Manny Bowles

thanks mate for your comment.

i dont have a camera so i couldnt post a picture but i read forums and i see people has similar problem with me. their problem is mg or iron deficiecny and thus i thought i had mg or iron deficiency.and i checked lower and middle leaves and i saw they have same problem.

the only thing i could do is spraying the leaves with 5 gr/1 litre epsom salt.

if i have really mg deficiency,it will fix.
if i dont ,will it damage my plants ?

if it is a lock out,why mg is locked ? because of ph ?

but mg will lock out under 6.0 ph but my ph is almost 7.

PH.gif

Latest posts

Back