cfl not good with timers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S']['()|\|3D

Reaction score
I've seen many people here using cfl's with timers. i just happened to read on the box that cfl's arent recommened to be used with timers as with other things (dimmers etc..)

Anyone know if this could be a fire hazard???

Thanks.

I dont think so.
I know you arent supposed to use with dimmers, because thoes bulbs arent made to dim like that. I think it needs all of its power to work.
but using it with timers has never been a problem for me....and i have Vegged with CFL pleanty of times...and its always on timers.
Right now i am flowering with a CFL mix, and they are alll on the same timer....still no problems.
i think its ok to use with timers.

edit: however, im not responcible if your house burns down, in some freak CFL accident.

Analog timer works no different than a reg switch IME. I been using the cheapo timers for years....but 2 things should be in every grow....a dedicated smoke/fire alarm and a KID tiny fire extuinguisher (KID is the brand name)....These should be in every grow no matter how small IMO

The reason flourescents are not to be used on timers is because of the "15 minute cool down" time they are suggested to need. If you flip on and off your CFLs constantly they will drastically shorten the life. A timer is nothing more than an inline switch, however, depending on the quality of timer, it might not allow enough power to flow through depending on the amperage of your timer.

I am running 3 (105w) CFLs on a single timer, all sockets wired together on one extension cord without problems.

I agree a Smoke detector and extinguisher are important for grows. I am still in need of one, but will get one soon hopefully.

im running 4 115W CFL's and 2 florecents on a timer with no problem :) they seem to work great for me

Latest posts

Back