clearing up a few things...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vitaminwater

Reaction score
so i plan on growing outdoor's for my first time when i gets warm outside but i have a couple of questions.

Could i start growing in May if i live on the east coast? If not whats the earliest?

I heard when your rdy for flowering you have to put trash bags over plants everyday to trigger flowering is this true? I dont think this one is true but i figured i would ask anyway. If not daylight savings time triggers flowering correct?

I have buckets buried in the ground about 1inch sticking out of surface should i use potting soil or planting mix?

Also i heard ur suppose to start off indoor then move them outside do you have to do this?

thats it thanks!

You can start indoors anytime. When I grew outdoors I would start my seeds on St. Pats and put them out after the threat of frost at night was gone.(Where I'm from I would watch the forsythia bushes ,when they sprouted leaves it was time to transplant outside)
When you do this head start method your going to be the only green stuff available so the crtters are going to be a problem.
The East Coast is a big place ,Check to find out when last frost threat is in your area.any garden center can tell you that

Ok so its best to start indoor for 1-2 weeks then transplant them outside? should i set them on timer then 18/6 to better adjust to the outside sunlight?

How do i trigger flowering if they are growing outside? Daylight savings time, trash bags what?

This plant has been growing and producing flowers outside since the beginning of time, if someone had to put a bag on it to make it flower the plant would have become extinct by now. The plant already knows when it is going to flower and there is nothing you need to do to it, except to give it a little bit of food to make the plant stronger while it flowers.
When people start the seeds indoors it is only to give the plant a little bit of protected grow time while it is so small and to possibly harvest sooner. I did nothing to get my plants ready for the outdoors, I just brought them out and planted them, but I would recommend that you bring them outside in their seedling pots for a couple days before you actually set them in the ground, this just gets them used to the outdoors. It is a weed and unless you are trying to grow an indoor strain outside it really isn't that hard.

yeppers,

What godtea, and medicore said dude. They could not have said it any better. Starting indoor will help your LIL Darling to get robust enough to handle outdoors, and help you on your way too.
Black plastic bags can be used if there is a sudden danger of a frost, but I think they would fail the 12/12 hour idea. Take a black plastic bag open it and then hold it up to the light and unless the wall thickness is pretty heavy duty your gonna see light come right through. Problem with the black bag idea is that you would be stuck putting it on, then off, and then on, and then off.
Forget that idea.
Start your plant indoor, while there is still a danger of the frost hurting it, then give it a little time outdoors each day increasing it's stay outside.
You might want to be ready to stake the lady as well cause indoor girls are a little stalk weak unless you can put a small fan on her to help her build herself up, (stalk toughening).
Like what was said by Medicore, it's a weed, and we all know that weeds thrive almost anywhere outdoors. Your gonna do just fine.
18/6 is good, since all your doing for now is vegging.
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

The only advice I can offer that hasn`t been touched on already would be; The dark photoperiod of your 18/6 light schedule should take place @ night time so when you start taking them outside there is less confusion for ur plant.

i usually use ocean forest but i have ran out and dont feel like spending another $25 to get more shipped to me. so what if i buy organic miracle grow now and just let it sit out for a month or so and water it would the time release fert all flush out over time and not **** as much?

I gotta tell ya man,

After what I just went through with the MG soil, I would say that if you buy some then you might want to think a bit about being pro-active with it.
I wouldn't water it too much, but yeah go ahead. I would keep the bags of MG away, far away from anything you got growing. I suppose that treating it that way might get rid of any gnats that are in the mix, but don't hold your breath. I guess that you could put it in containers right off and then treat the soil while your waiting like I am doing. Your call Bro.
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

KingKahuuna said:
I gotta tell ya man,

After what I just went through with the MG soil, I would say that if you buy some then you might want to think a bit about being pro-active with it.
I wouldn't water it too much, but yeah go ahead. I would keep the bags of MG away, far away from anything you got growing. I suppose that treating it that way might get rid of any gnats that are in the mix, but don't hold your breath. I guess that you could put it in containers right off and then treat the soil while your waiting like I am doing. Your call Bro.
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

I just transplanted my plants into MG soil, goy any pointers as to what I should be expecting to happen?

Chubakkaz said:
I just transplanted my plants into MG soil, goy any pointers as to what I should be expecting to happen?

Bascially all MG soil has time release fert in it thats bad. This usually burns the plants and cause them to be un-healthy looking. You really wanna stay away from this soil at all costs.

The only reason why i would even thinking about MG is because i can get it in large quantities without ordering online. Thats why i was wondering if u just put all the MG soil in an empty pot and then just water the soil every week for a month or so would the time release fert be gone?

For a decent outdoor soil mix, i usually get a 40lb. bag of mushroom compost, vermichalite, sand, peatmos and maybe some earthy stump dirt, mix it all up and then use FOx farm to feed it untill i need an ax to chop her down, that is when my crop doesn't get eaten by woodchucks and deer. i love this mix and so do the roots on any sticky girls
~T-Bone

If your looking for fast and dirty I'm a big fan of Pro-Mix . It's ph neutral ( 7)
Comes in bails and if you go to a landscapeing supplier it's cheap.
If this is a guerilla grow make sure you put a couple of inches of "native "soil over your import so that it dosen't stand out .
The human eye sees contrast much quicker than uniformity.
As far as frost worries ; If you want to tent your plants.They make clear garbage bags .Put three sticks upright in the ground ( In a triangle)
put the bag over it makeing sure that you have a couple of inches clearence above the ground to allow the minigreenhouse to breath.
I personally wouldn't put the ladies out untill there was green starting to show on other vegitation in the area . No contrast Green jumps out at us in the early spring .You don't want to be 2' tall when every thing else is only a few inches out of the ground.You also aren't going to not see much extra growth for the early outdoor move .The lions share of growth is going to be in June and July It'll slow down in the heat of August and explode again when it switches over to Flower.
This is still a tuff plant .if you grow in the north east I would lean toward a Gahni grow ( Indica ) can take early frost but not a solid freeze as a seedling.
And when I did outside I found tha it actually likes a frost
My rule of thumb was to harvest after the second frost .
Man two cups of coffee with the wake and bake and I don't shut up
Good luck

Im thinking about doing a guerilla grow this summer. This thread is helpfull. The only thing i am having trouble with is finding a good spot to grow. i live in a city and theres stuff all around.. the woods near where i live i know for a fact that kids play in there all the time.. how do any of you guerilla growers find a place outside to grow?

Sunlight, Access to water ,Security Find a big Briar patch dig your way into the middle of it (under the branches not thru them )clear out a small area and start gardening
One time I bought 4 of those kiddy pools at K mart in the fall dragged them out into the middle of a swampy marsh built up platforms and set up a grow there.
Your problem sounds like your gonna have to travel which is going to put you some where you don't normally go .And it's going to put you there alot.
Not knowing where you live makes it hard to give you any solid advice .

I love daylight savings time cause my garden gets an extra hour of sunshine. I think thats what trigers flowering. lol Ok after around june 22 the longest day of the year the days start getting shorter by a little each day for example in july the month my shorten by 40 min over the entire month untill around the third week of september the days are at 12/12 light and dark and the days slowly getting shorter is what trigers a plant to flower. Plants vary by the amount of darkness they need to begin flowering. Some early some late. Hope that helped

Back