Cloning Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jchesmore722

Reaction score

Ive got a few questions about cloning…
What is the best time of day to take cuttings?
Right before lights on/off? Right after? Sometime in the middle?
Do any of you clone straight into soil and get good results? I will be using rootone on the cuttings but I want to throw them straight in the soil and need to know if this is a bad idea.
If I took a clone after it rooted and through it right into 12/12 with an HPS light, would it grow long stems because the HPS or would it stay short because it is a clone strain?
If I take flowering clones(cuttings right after the plant shows sex) does this make the plant bushier than a normal clone or is this just a myth???
Also does it make the donor plant go back into reveg for a bit before it keeps flowering??
How much does this hurt the yield of the mother plant?

jchesmore722 said:
If I take flowering clones(cuttings right after the plant shows sex) does this make the plant bushier than a normal clone or is this just a myth???
Also does it make the donor plant go back into reveg for a bit before it keeps flowering??
How much does this hurt the yield of the mother plant?

I dont put my mother plant into flower, leave it in vegg for a supply of clones when you need them.

I put clones in soil all the time. I grow organic. Time of day to take cuttings doesn't matter. Once you've done it a few times, you'll be like " wow this is easy"

umbra said:
I put clones in soil all the time. I grow organic. Time of day to take cuttings doesn't matter. Once you've done it a few times, you'll be like " wow this is easy"

I just took 6 clones, all have rooted and are growing wonderfully, if i can be 100% my first time, anyone can clone.

i now use the rapid rooter plugs for putting my clones in.i previously used the hick method.its a dang good way to do it too.using straight perlite,sitting in some ph'd water,with holes in the dixie cups.works like a charm.

andy52 said:
i now use the rapid rooter plugs for putting my clones in.i previously used the hick method.its a dang good way to do it too.using straight perlite,sitting in some ph'd water,with holes in the dixie cups.works like a charm.

Hey andy, how often do you water them if they are in just perlite?

you don't water them,they are sitting in water.when i used this method,i used the dixie cups with 4-5 holes in the bottoms and about an 1/8 in. of water in a pan or tray.when you want to check the roots,all you have to do is flood the perlite and if not rooted enough,just replace in the perlite

yes you can put straight into soil,and take your clones a couple of hours after light comes on,let the plant wake up :)

I have a whole tray of clones (20, 4 from 5 plants) that I put straight to soil. This is my first time growing or cloning, and I'm just using Shultz rooting powder from Home Depot, and of the 20 clones, I think all but 1 will make it. Easy as pie! Just remeber that when cloning to soil ensure ALL the soil is totally SATURATED, and try to keeps bottom of containers warm (75-80 deg. F.) to promote root growth. And ppl swear by humidity domes, but I have found that my clones do better not under a dome, but under weak floros initially and being misted regularly....GL!

Latest posts

Back