Confused on how to use PH meter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megan23247

Sexy Female Grower
Reaction score
Ok this may be a stupid question but I just got my Electronic PH tester and It says I need to calibrate it first by dipping the sensor into the selected Buffer and when I get the right PH then hit CAL etc... Well my question is what do I use as a buffer just water mixed with either PH up or PH down to CAL the right buffer which has to either be a 4, 7 or a 10? Im confused. Hope that makes sense. :)

you need to find something that you know the ph of to calibrate it. im not sure what that would be. sorry i couldn't help more

Maybe this will help. Here is a picture of the kind of meter I got maybe someone else has the same one and can help me out. :D

ph_meter.jpg

this is just a shot in the dark, but maybe use something like lemon juice which will probably have a pH of something around 3-4. if thats around the reading you get its probably good to go. hope that helps alittle..if at all.

you need to buy some buffer/calibration solution. When you calibrate your meter you need to use a solution because your meter will only be as accurate as your burrer solution.

Go back to the place you bought your meter and buy some buffer solution, you need 4, 7 or 10 but it is best to have all three

I'm sure if you ask kindly, they will calibrate it for you, and you can skip buying anything.

If you do buy calibration solution, I recommend the pH 4, and pH 7. I have the same meter, and it's recommended to dip the tip in pH 4 solution when storing it.

Calibrating it using the pH 7 solution will make it more accurate around pH 7 (which is closer to where you will be using it, than the pH 4 or 10).

Hum sorry im no help but I think its wierd that it isn't sol already calibrated. I guess i know when i buy an electronical one Good post and good question!! :eek:

It shouldve came with a small pack of buffer solution, but MassP is 100% correct. get the buffer.

Latest posts

Back