Converting from veg to bloom?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dj420

Reaction score
I am new to the indoor scene and doing really well but I am going to convert to 12 on 12 off is there any special procedure? (flushing, Nutrient change overnight) I am suposed to know about? I have been reading the threads and they help so much Thanks,DJ:confused:

Whats up DJ. How old are your plants? What ya want are mature plants before putting them into flower. Usually it takes between 6 and 8 weeks of vegging before your plant is mature and ready. By this time your plant will have pre flowers or alternating nodes or both.

My plants are around 2 feet tall and very bushy I am going to change my cycle and I didnt think I would be second guessing myself as much as I am. What time is the best to run the lights? and should I put my fans on the same timer? Just a little confused. Should I run my exhaust 24 hours or change it as well? I know they need to sleep but I dont know if they still need the fans or circulation. Will post pics they are outgrowing my 6'by8' room allready so I am needing to change this quickly any help would be great. What do you think?

2ft WOW they are gonna be huge when your done.
What time is the best to run the lights?
depends all on you. alot like to have their lights on at night because its usually cooler at night. but you have to worry about the bright yellow glow shooting from any opening (but if its all enclosed the last part dont count). during the day its less noticeable and wont bother you while you sleep (if its in the same room as you) LOL. but i usually go with the time i know ill be home the most. like 6pm lights on and 6am lights off. (so if anything catches fire i will have a better chance to be their) HAHA

Should I run my exhaust 24 hours or change it as well?
depends on temps. i dont think it will hurt anything if its on 24/7 but your wallet. maybe 30min on 30 min off?

I dont know if they still need the fans or circulation
if anything a small one not on the plants at night would be "ok" if in a small closet. a 6x8 room i would say its not Needed (imo)

i cant wait to see pics...

I flushed the plants and let them sit in the dark for 24 hours, and started them on light flora bloom, and spraying in a couple of days with growth max pure seaweed, suppossed to be great for your new growth or bud areas.

Keep in mind that they should double in size or more over the first 2 weeks or so. So you'll want to keep them on veg ferts the first week or so to help with the rapid growth. Then switch to flower ferts for the rest of the grow.
What kind of light & what wattage are you using?
The Lumens drop off rapidly as the light reaches lower areas.

For instance, I use a 430W enhanced HPS.
This is from The Indoor Bible by Jorge Cervantes and for a 400W HPS:
1 foot away produces about 50,000 lumens
2 feet away produces about 12,500 lumens
3 feet away produces about 5,500 lumens
4 feet away produces about 3,500 lumens

The goal is to give the plant 10,000 lumens according to Mr. Cervantes.

So the lower buddage on a 4 foot plant would not be receiving adequate lumens. That's why I JOG grow.

Also keep the night time temp. very close to your day time temp.
Ive found this reduces the stretch.

Not bad for my first time I guess still in veg but getting ready to switch.

What kind of light & what wattage are you using?
1000 watt mh but about to switch to the hps I have been flushing for the last 4 days an I am going to change nutes as soon as I change the light is that best?

Good you've been flushing so hopefully you have flushed out most of the grow nutes,i prefer to actually,at this stage,re-pot into the larger 5 gallon pots with a fresh medium,i use soil,perlite,lime,vermiculite and coco can also be used.

The vermiculite stores nutes the way perlite stores water so thats why i prefer to just totally repot so the vermiculite will now store your bud bloom and once you repot prior to flowering you need not do it again,even when you change from bud bloom to bud booster.

I started doing this cos i found that when i didnt repot prior to flowering the nutes were getting mixed and i was getting a concrete type build up and nute lock out so i started repotting before12/12 and never had the problem since.However JD has shown you the way and the book he quotes from is like the MJ bible,i also own some Cervantes books and he truly knows his stuff.BTW,you can pre determine sex without putting them under 12/12(and no you wont need to veg for months)just look for little signs like male pre flowers,white hairs,amongst others signs.Happy Growing:joint:

Sensi-Man said:
The vermiculite stores nutes the way perlite stores water so thats why i prefer to just totally repot so the vermiculite will now store your bud bloom and once you repot prior to flowering you need not do it again

Vermiculite is basically a mine-able sponge like material... very good for what ur saying! good idea with holding your bud bloom n whatnot.
Perlite however actually repels water and retains oxygen for roots. Adding perlite makes mixes lighter and more fluffy... allowing for easier drainage.

KADE said:
Vermiculite is basically a mine-able sponge like material... very good for what ur saying! good idea with holding your bud bloom n whatnot.
Perlite however actually repels water and retains oxygen for roots. Adding perlite makes mixes lighter and more fluffy... allowing for easier drainage.

^^^^WORD^^^Correct:tokie:

I hope you have some twine,and stuff to tie them girls up, because I can guarantee you are going to need it.

I usually have alternating nodes around 4-5 weeks, but I also know that it can be strain dependant.

During lights off the humidity will rise dramaticly, so at very least run your exhaust 30 min, on 30 min off. I run mine 24/7.

Latest posts

Back